Try at a mile?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Try at a mile?

Post by Louise Bayou »

I have a nice Dr. G router that I worked at 4f. Does this work look fast enough to run at a mile?

http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=321697
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Re: Try at a mile?

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

With those 5 furlong works, I'm not surprised she ran fast at 4 furlongs. I'm no expert at milers, but I don't see why you couldn't start in a mile maiden race, rather than wait for the 8.5 furlongs to open Week 10. She just might surprise you!
Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Re: Try at a mile?

Post by Marzy Dotes »

With those 5 furlong works, I'm not surprised she ran fast at 4 furlongs. I'm no expert at milers, but I don't see why you couldn't start in a mile maiden race, rather than wait for the 8.5 furlongs to open Week 10. She just might surprise you!
Yeah you just never know and it can set you up to run them either week 10 or 11 at a route. It can be tricky sometimes b/c sometimes four furlong works that are quick especially if they're quick at other distances, may mean a horse is just fast more than whether it can do a mile fast. Sumner Beach worked 48.12 and yet at a mile he did fourth though his works were pretty fast across the board with his 1:25.79 at one time being the fastest at that distance. Of course, another router was in that race and Perfect Sunday romped by over three with a SF of 78 (and his work was 48.20 I think) and then Dumbledore's son Time Turner probably turned in one of the most dominating performances on SC all weather ever. But there's precedent for routers winning milers and in Time Turner's the top miler race of his division. Dr. Ghazi's probably a good sire to try out at a mile b/c he's so speedy and his own mile effort (on the dirt) wasn't shabby at all. Had a couple of his work 48.5 so to an extent he's passing it down.

I'm vexed by having routers work better at four furlongs than my milers. :P Totally cursed.

Sometimes it comes down to how you place them in a mile race too. Looking out for the 48 flat and less hellions out there. But why not? Like you said, often you never really know! But breeding a horse that is competitive in the Synthetic Juvenile races at 2 and then the Matron or Classic at three, might be fun. Might have that already in Time Turner.

I have one Dr. Ghazi and possibly a Yes that might start at a mile. Though for the former being amid daughters of Ivory Crown, Wild Things and Chokecherry, eh... :shock: but it's the first week. The Legal Stakes is pulling some talent away with three hot miler prospects (out of Poisoned Apple, Paradise Lost and Pathfork) facing off with some routers. The latter, might see if the race splits. she's by Yes and out of Mi Ciao Bella (who was second in her mile) and did work a 48.48. My Yes runners have worked well at four. Can't wait to sort a Yes/Majesty at four after I get her sorted out (if that happens, lol).

Overall looking forward to how both divisions play out in the weeks ahead. 8) I think it'll be an exciting season.
"Fools live to regret their words, wise men to regret their silence."

---Author, Will Henr

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

---Edmund Burke