Auction Thread

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Kateri Lennox
Miler

Post by Kateri Lennox »

I didn't even bother checking the auction horses in detail until today (life's been crazy), but I was pleased to walk away with Be Praised for just over $200,000. I'm a big fan of Faith Justified and Ryafan, so I was pleased with this girl. :) We'll see if she's worth the price next year.
Tasha Langley
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Tasha Langley »

Ahhh I missed that post, sorry I couldn't join you guys! I have to work on an essay right now but maybe next results night I can join ya'll =3
Rivendell Acres
Home to...

Aupollo - $1,000
Dreams Never Die - $10,000
King of Jesters - $35,000
Left Behind - $10,000
Sounds of Victory - $7,500
Michelle Calderoni
Hall of Fame

Post by Michelle Calderoni »

it's still going on LOL
Pegasus Feathers International -Dubai
Edward Cullen -$35k | Fleet Admiral -$35k | Visine -$10k
Champions Producing Champions
Mac Silver
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Mac Silver »

Although I was really hoping to be able to buy a filly (I had several as targets) they got way out of my price range rather quickly. I could not be happier with my buy. Ive been hanging out with Ben and I have really high hopes for him. I think my first ever auction has some big potential!
As Ben Franklin once said, "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria."
Andrew Nacario
Two Year Old

Post by Andrew Nacario »

I purchased the filly Ending Unplanned (End Result x Passageway) with the hopes of eventually breeding her to my prized colt Man of Few Words. I probably paid a little too much for her but oh well.
Kelse Mccann
Turf Router

Post by Kelse Mccann »

Omg, i thought i missed my chance but ive been offered Delhi for 275k im just gunnna write a few articles then i get the one i wanted!!!
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

You know, I've had an ongoing conversation with another person who was interested in the filly I won at the auction, and it got me thinking about why this hasn't happened in the SIM.

Partnerships.

Would it be even remotely feasible for two folks to sort of "go in" together on a particular horse, split the prize money, breeding, etc.? This happens with I'd almost say a majority of horses in the real world; I'm just wondering if this is even a remotely realistic idea in our world. I'd love to hear some thoughts.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Kelse Mccann
Turf Router

Post by Kelse Mccann »

J Slotman wrote: You know, I've had an ongoing conversation with another person who was interested in the filly I won at the auction, and it got me thinking about why this hasn't happened in the SIM.

Partnerships.

Would it be even remotely feasible for two folks to sort of "go in" together on a particular horse, split the prize money, breeding, etc.? This happens with I'd almost say a majority of horses in the real world; I'm just wondering if this is even a remotely realistic idea in our world. I'd love to hear some thoughts.
That sounds very intresting, if were getting poly tracks then that would be maybe something to talk to Em about
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I just sent her a quick email. I'm intrigued.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Well, with retired mares, you can "partner" on them - one player gets the Year 18 breeding, one the Year 19 breeding. But, it requires a certain amount of trust - will the other player send the mare back to you when required? I also don't know how infertility is being handled. Does the one player get Year 18 and Year 20 and you're out of luck on Year 19? Or does your breeding get pushed back to Year 20? It's something to consider when deciding whether to go into a partnership - the more "what ifs" you have ironed out beforehand, the better.

As for racehorses, I haven't a clue as to how that would be managed. Do you swap ownership after every race? Who decides where the horse runs next? What if there is a disagreement? What if your co-owner forgets to ship the horse before the race, or uses different equipment, or decides to run the horse at a distance/surface you don't like, or decides to throw the horse in over his/her head in an effort to get a big filler check? Again, like in the broodmare situation, do you trust that player to ship the horse back? I mean, with the private offer, the tools are already in place to run a horse in "partnership" if you want to switch the horse back and forth after every race, but I think there are a lot of logistical problems, and if you and the partner aren't in synch, could be a real problem (which isn't the Steward's job to resolve). I don't know any way to split the earnings 50/50 without involving the Steward, so I doubt that would be feasible, for exactly that reason.

Not saying it can't be done, in some form or fashion, using the tools right now, but I think a true 50/50, where two players are listed as owner and split earnings down the middle, would be tough to administer, and could lead to a lot of headaches if the partnership subsequently goes south, as a bad partner can really * things up for the other one. I run some horses in partnership in another simulated horse racing game (we share a common password, and have worked out rules as to decisions as to where to run), and it takes a tremendous amount of trust and communication to work as it should. In light of that, I'd be extremely hesitant to try it here, even if it were added as a tool.
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I appreciate your perspective, Laura. I was thinking of a situation where one would run the horse in one person's name, then split the proceeds from racing all the way through the breeding shed. The only problem I would foresee is how to actually transfer the money from one person to another in the current SIM without involving the Steward herself. That certainly would not be the greatest of burdens to place upon the Steward.

I'm just speaking in pure conjecture here incidentally as I sincerely doubt the person who was interested in my filly would actually concur with my thoughts on the issue. I am just throwing this out there for thoughts from all.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

*hugs For Better*

...See you all at the BC Mile in a few years... ;)
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

I snagged A Heart Unwavering. Nothing else intrigued me that would be in my price range. I own her 1/2 sister (Fortimes we shared) and she's 2-1-1-0 so She's looking good. Had to pay 452,000, but then re-couped it later by selling L'Artiste in the Chat room.

The chat room auction ROCKED! We should have more of them! LOL
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

Eric and I went in together on Fated by Stars, but that was after she was retired. Piece of the Moon is also owned jointly.

And I had SO MUCH FUN at the chat auction! While I was auctioneer, I sold a total of 21 horses for $3,370,500 from the stock of at least half a dozen owners. The auction topper was Ziegfeld Girl, a yearling filly by Star Studded, and the second highest bid was for L'artiste, a Storm Cat yearling filly. The lowest bid went for $6,000 for Yonaguskye in a special "low bankroll" auction. There were a couple of horses sold after I gave up as auctioneer but unfortunately I didn't keep track of those.

We're planning another auction for the next results night, so if you have anything you want to sell show up! We sold everything from yearlings to broodmares to stallions to racers to a breeding for a foal from a mare. Even if you can't afford to buy and have nothing to sell, it's a lot of fun to watch and a good way to learn bloodlines.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

I'd love to participate but I'm never awake for results night. And I have a couple of horses I'd definitely be willing to put up for auction (as well as bid!). Are there any other times you guys would want to do them? The problem is that I have such a weird schedule, with school and working two jobs. But if I knew ahead of time I could let someone know when I'd be available. Once basketball and hockey end, I'll JUST be depending on the days I'll be working the baseball games.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds