Sim Trivia Contest

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

In the spirit of letting newbies learn a little more about the history of the SIM, I have decided to hold a trivia contest. This contest is only open to players who joined the SIM in Year 16 or later; in other words, anyone whose join date is 2006 or 2007.

The prize for this contest is the following yearling colt:
<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=33850' target='_blank'>http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php ... D=33850</a>
Pattern is by Standard, a multiple stakes winning dirt miler by Chesapeake Bay, one of the top stallions in the SIM today. Standard is a son of Broodmare of the Year Statgal and is thus a half brother to such horses as Star Player, Static, and Status.
Pattern is out of Whenyoulookatme, a daughter of Breeder's Cup Classic and Dubai World Cup winner Elusive Pegasus. She descends from a sister of Serena's Song.

There will be ten questions in the trivia contest. The player with the most correct answers will win the colt. If there is a tie, the winner will be selected randomly from those players with the greatest number of correct answers.

Please send answers to me either through a PM on the forum or on the SIM itself. Do not post answers below or the entire contest will be cancelled. Older players, please do not give answers out; I'm trying to educate newer players on the history of our great game!

All answers are due by 4pm eastern on Sunday, April 8. I will announce the winner during the results chat. Note that you do not have to be present at the chat to win.

The questions:

1. In which year was each continent/country added to the SIM? List each continent/country and the SIM year it was added. The continents/countries you should list are: North America, South America, Europe, Australia, South Africa, Japan, Barbados, Puerto Rico. Don't worry about any other places.

2. Of all the players in the SIM with over $5 million in earnings, who has played the game for the least amount of time?

3. What stallion has sired the most Kentucky Derby winners? Name the horses.

4. Which player has been in the SIM the longest?

5. Of the three US Triple Crown winners, two were campaigned by players still in the game. Who are those two players, and who are their horses? (hint: both horses were campaigned by their breeders)

6. How many 3yo Triple Crown winners has the SIM had in total? (The Triple Crowns are: the US, the English, the Canadian, the South African, the Puerto Rican (there are two of those), and the Barbados Triple Crowns).

7. How many races on the official stakes schedule were named after SIM players? (hint: if you find a race that appears to be named after a person, try searching for it on Google. If you can't find any mentions of it, chances it's a SIM race named for a SIM player). What are those races?

8. Many of the top SIM horses represent a real life horse. Who were the SIM's Secretariat, Ruffian, and Man O'War?

9. How many individual Horses of the Year, from all continents and countries, have there been? (if a horse won more than one HOTY title, it only counts once)

10. What is the longest generational streak of Kentucky Derby winners? (that is, the father won, the son, the grandson, etc) How many generations did the streak last, and who were the horses involved?

If you are confused by any of these questions, please let me know and I will attempt to further explain. All answers can be found somewhere on one of the SIM pages, but some of them require more research than others!

All questions refer to SIM results only. Real life results and statistics do not apply. It is possible the answer to one or more of the questions may be a real life horse, however. :)
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Emily Thompson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Emily Thompson »

Ooh, count me in!

This will give me something to do while I'm twiddling my thumbs in my office this afternoon. ;)
Kelse Mccann
Turf Router

Post by Kelse Mccann »

7. How many races on the official stakes schedule were named after SIM players? (hint: if you find a race that appears to be named after a person, try searching for it on Google. If you can't find any mentions of it, chances it's a SIM race named for a SIM player). What are those races?
Is that from every continent we have to look or just one, if you cant tell, im having fun doing this
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

Kelse Mccann wrote:
Is that from every continent we have to look or just one, if you cant tell, im having fun doing this
Just North America. I didn't see any named after SIM players on the other continents.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

- Bryan Doolittle
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

To clarify question 10:

I'm looking for a series of horses where a horse, his son, that horse's son, and that horse's son (or however many generations it goes) wins the Derby.

For example, in real life we have Pensive (won the Derby in 1944) who sired Ponder (1949) who sired Needles (1956). That's three generations.

It does NOT count if each horse is not the offspring of the previous horse in the line. For an example, let's pretend that Bernardini won the Derby since I'm having trouble finding an actual example. Although Seattle Slew (1977), Swale (1984), Bernardini (2006), and Funny Cide (2003) all won the Derby, and Swale is a son, Berni a grandson, and Funny a great grandson of Seattle Slew, this series would not count because Berni is not a son of Swale, nor is Funny a son of Berni. Did that make sense?

Oh, and since we've had fillies win the Derby, it's entirely possible that the answer does involve a filly, even though my examples were all of colts. :)
- The Steward

- Bryan Doolittle
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

Another clarification: when I speak of the winners of championships/the Derby/the Triple Crown, I mean only the SIM versions. Event of the Year does count as a Derby winner, even though he is a real horse, because he won the Derby in the SIM, but Seattle Slew does NOT count because he did not win the Derby in the SIM.
- The Steward

- Bryan Doolittle
Rayne Wyatt
Derby Contender

Post by Rayne Wyatt »

Closing date Ara?
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

Closing time is 4pm eastern on Sunday April 8th. Although the actual closing time might be later, depending on when I show up in chat. :)
- The Steward

- Bryan Doolittle
Biff Tannen
Miler

Post by Biff Tannen »

Hi Ara,

Regarding Question 8...when you say "top horses" are you referring to every horse since season 1 or just current race horses. Thanks so much. -- Scott
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

I'm pretty sure Ara only wants the equals to the 3 she mentioned.

Man O War, Sec and Ruffian.

Awesome idea! I don't even know all the answers.
Biff Tannen
Miler

Post by Biff Tannen »

Sorry...I meant...should we be looking at every SIM horse since Season 1 for similarities or should we just be looking at horses that are currently running?
Kelse Mccann
Turf Router

Post by Kelse Mccann »

Scott Pho wrote: Sorry...I meant...should we be looking at every SIM horse since Season 1 for similarities or should we just be looking at horses that are currently running?
From the start, 3 horses were named that resenbled those three, you have to find out who they were
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

There is a page that specifically states who the SIM's Secretariat, Ruffian, and Man O'War were. All three horses are long since retired, if that helps. :)
- The Steward

- Bryan Doolittle
Biff Tannen
Miler

Post by Biff Tannen »

Ara Davies wrote: There is a page that specifically states who the SIM's Secretariat, Ruffian, and Man O'War were. All three horses are long since retired, if that helps. :)
Ara...thanks for the heads up...I've "explored" this website to say the least and without seeing this holy grail of pages, I think I've guessed who Secretariat and Ruffian is...struggling to find Man O'War...great contest btw...I have a headache with 1 question to go! -- Scott
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

LOL part of the point of the contest was to get people to visit pages on the SIM they'd never seen before, so I guess I did a good job! :)

As I said, the answer to the SIM's version of those three horses is on a single page...more specifically, it is in a single paragraph on that page.
- The Steward

- Bryan Doolittle