Raising Money to Save a Horse

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Re: Raising Money to Save a Horse

Post by The Steward »

I am absolutely blown away by the quick support we've gotten! I told the admin I was expecting a few hundred dollars, but in just a few hours between the SIM and some outside resources we've gotten $2,400! I haven't responded to people's emails/PMs yet, but I'm getting them to my phone and adding. Thank you, thank you! You all are wonderful! I will let you know over the next few days if it worked out! Pray for YES!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

EM, sent you a PM (through the Contact Us link), forgot to say that it can go to the charity if this doesn't work. (But please....SAVE HIM!!!)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Save him Em and keep us updated.
Luis Polar
Miler

Post by Luis Polar »

I will get in touch with some trainer friends at Calder to see if i can get some contributions. It's a bad time because Calder just changed to Gulfstream and some have gone on vacations to their home countries. But I'll try. Luis
Luis Polar
MAELSTROM (Triple Crown, Champion 3 yr. old colt)Sun Raider out of Such Great Heights by Loki Dynasty.
END OF THE LINE (Champion)End Result out of Legacy's End by The Scarlet Nite.
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

Any recent news? I sent in a donation after Em posted the $2,400 update, so I'm wondering how much more was raised beyond $2,500 and if the claim/rescue was successful.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I have an update from this morning, and it's a frustrating one. The trainer has agreed to sell us the horse!! But not until "just one more start." The whole point of the fundraiser was to make sure that one more start didn't happen. So we will be discussing today what to do: sweeten the pot, return the money, hold it and wait for that one more start, etc. Will update more tonight!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

What a #$%%^! Of course squeeze the last bit out of him that you can. Ugh people suck
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Post by J K Rowling »

If you sweeten the pot, he's just going to keep asking for more. I'm kinda amazed the 10k was raised in the first place, the only people who would pay more than $500 for a horse that can't run would be a rescue.
"The way I look at it, I'm not meeting anyone better than Julie K... so what am I missing?"

The Sim: Where the horses are made up and cheating doesn't matter.
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I'm with Julie on this one. This isn't the kind of trainer who should be getting even a cent for this horse. Honest trainers usually require something nominal for a horse who can't run anymore; $10k seems outrageous, even for SoCal.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

John Slotmon wrote:I'm with Julie on this one. This isn't the kind of trainer who should be getting even a cent for this horse. Honest trainers usually require something nominal for a horse who can't run anymore; $10k seems outrageous, even for SoCal.
The horse is in New York - not that that matters.

Should have an update in a few hours. We came with our "final offer" this morning.
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Horsie economics are probably pretty similar in NY and Southern California.

I have a friend who had a similar situation with a trainer who will remain nameless in the greater Mid-Atlantic area. There was a horse who probably could have run another time or two, but really needed to be retired. The horse's trainer had even reached out to CANTER to let them know he would be available. Friend calls trainer, who is known to be a very solid horseman, says she can give him $1k cash for the horse today rather than have him run again (he wasn't entered at this point) and the trainer turned over the horse to her, no questions asked, within a couple of days. This is how an off track horse rescue should go. Sadly, it's probably an anomaly.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Post by J K Rowling »

I just think it's a little ridiculous that people can rally behind paying 10k for a horse but one that you could save for $300 gets no attention. Why not use the money to give 20 horses new careers?
"The way I look at it, I'm not meeting anyone better than Julie K... so what am I missing?"

The Sim: Where the horses are made up and cheating doesn't matter.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Julie Kluesener wrote:I just think it's a little ridiculous that people can rally behind paying 10k for a horse but one that you could save for $300 gets no attention. Why not use the money to give 20 horses new careers?
Then don't give! Geez nobody said you had to. And for those that do want to help this horse, its their business.
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

It is often easier to get people to donate money to save a horse they have actually seen run or been behind during the peak of their racing career - stakes winners that people have fond memories of. Not that all horses don't deserve to be saved, it just seems that a horse that stirs up good memories in people will garner more donations than the local claimers hardly anyone knows. It seems to be easier to find a home for those type of horses too, it is just the way it is. They all can't be saved, unfortunately, (unless someone has a really huge barn and unlimited funds to house, vet and feed them until a home can be found...) so save the ones that can be. Maybe 10K was donated towards saving this particular horse - but would even a fraction of that been donated if it were a few claimers no one had heard of or had no connection with? There is a home ready for this horse should he be saved, would there be 20 people willing to open their barns and bank accounts for 20 unknown claimers? I sure wish there was a better system for older racehorses that have paid their dues but it is what it is. :(
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Agree Lori, I just don't see why someone would think helping this horse is anything but awesome. I also send money to Transitions Thoroughbreds that I found on FB. They had a Point Given they were trying to save from a slaughter house and a friend who loves P.G. brought it to my attention. I think any help no matter the horse is great, and I am sure people do what they can.