Proof That Sometimes the SIM is just Mean...

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Abe Froman
Hall of Fame

Re: Proof That Sometimes the SIM is just Mean...

Post by Abe Froman »

Does the 350k rule actually apply for mixers? I just assumed it didn't, but maybe we are getting closer to the point where more horses can get there.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

It doesn't apply. The purses aren't big enough. I'd say somewhere between $100k and $175k is probably a fairer mark at this point for the newer stallions.
Landon Alexander
Hall of Fame

Post by Landon Alexander »

Kay O. Johnson wrote:I agree with most of Paul's post. But I still think that a long rest can help Windrunner. Just look at Flex's record. He was a stakes galloper from the start. His first start was a stakes and he finished third with a 73. He was then entered in a SC race where he finished 7th with a 72. Then 2 maidens where he ran 4th and 5th as a 3 yr old. So a long rest followed and what do you know? In his first start of Yr 35 he beats a horse who came in 2nd in the SC.
Not saying anything bad about Flex ... But I'm not 100% positive that giving Flex a long break helped him win. I think it's more that Flex was entered in a race with the king of second-place; it's pretty much a given that at least 1 horse will beat him every time out.

I would like him to win for the ability to stand stud (hush to all the haters, I don't wanna hear it ;) ). And naturally I think I would run him a couple times after his win to see what he does.

P.S. -- The Steward is right, nobody thinks you're mean for not letting Windrunner have a walkover. 870-yd races are hard to come by. :)
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

HE WONNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLINKERS DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMGOGMOGOGMOGOMGMOGMG FREAKING OUT!
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Post by Nini Panini »

MIRACLES DO HAPPEN
"How do you describe perfection? Why try, let's just watch her run!"
Landon Alexander
Hall of Fame

He shot straight to the front and kept on going!! Won by 4-3/4 lengths. :)
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

*shocked*

What does that say about equipment then? haha

But still... shocked!

Grats Landon!! Grats Windrunner!
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Landon Alexander
Hall of Fame

I know, right, Nena... I put those blinkers on him and thought "he's is going to crash & burn trying to fight the blinkers" ... "but on the flipside he may actually focus and ignore everything."

Weird how the blinkers helped him when he "only needs" hind bandages... I've put wrong equipment on other horses and they totally flopped.

But it's a pretty impressive win. I'm hoping this is a turn around for him.

Now should I keep the blinkers or toss them?? 8)
Three Crowns Racing
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Three Crowns Racing »

Landon Alexander wrote:I know, right, Nena... I put those blinkers on him and thought "he's is going to crash & burn trying to fight the blinkers" ... "but on the flipside he may actually focus and ignore everything."

Weird how the blinkers helped him when he "only needs" hind bandages... I've put wrong equipment on other horses and they totally flopped.

That's fantastic that he finally got a win Landon!

On the blinkers, my question is do they actually work like they do in real life? Did they really help him block out his surroundings and just run, or was it just dumb luck and he was just going to win this race with or without them? My guess is that it isn't quite that sophisticated and it was more dumb luck. I'd probably try no blinkers in a NW2 and see if he can still get the W.
Josh Lamp I
Hall of Fame

Post by Josh Lamp I »

Landon Alexander wrote:I know, right, Nena... I put those blinkers on him and thought "he's is going to crash & burn trying to fight the blinkers" ... "but on the flipside he may actually focus and ignore everything."

Toss them, they did what they were intended to do.
Don't post anything, it might upset someone.
Josh Lamp I
Hall of Fame

Post by Josh Lamp I »

Tyler Simmons wrote:

That's fantastic that he finally got a win Landon!

On the blinkers, my question is do they actually work like they do in real life? Did they really help him block out his surroundings and just run, or was it just dumb luck and he was just going to win this race with or without them? My guess is that it isn't quite that sophisticated and it was more dumb luck. I'd probably try no blinkers in a NW2 and see if he can still get the W.
I can't see dumb luck coming into play in his 18th try.
Don't post anything, it might upset someone.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Yay! A big congrats to Windrunner!

Landon, well done. Your patience is rewarded!
Kay O. Johnson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Kay O. Johnson »

So now we have to think that some horses need equip other than what the game tells us the horse needs? What is that about? Would anyone like to offer opinions on that subject?
Andy Gol
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Andy Gol »

Kay O. Johnson wrote:So now we have to think that some horses need equip other than what the game tells us the horse needs? What is that about? Would anyone like to offer opinions on that subject?
Just because the horse won doesn't mean he wouldn't have won with the correct equip. The time wasn't the horse's fastest. So it stands to reason that he could have done better.

Lots of horses win races with the wrong equip.
Abe Froman
Hall of Fame

Post by Abe Froman »

Kay O. Johnson wrote:So now we have to think that some horses need equip other than what the game tells us the horse needs? What is that about? Would anyone like to offer opinions on that subject?
no