Proof That Sometimes the SIM is just Mean...

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Re: Proof That Sometimes the SIM is just Mean...

Post by Paul Heinrich »

Tyler Simmons wrote:
Paul Heinrich wrote:FWIW, I tend to agree with Tyler, in principle, in most cases. I don't think this race changes the general "rule" that you should use the equipment the horse "needs", and not look beyond those preferences in the vast majority of cases.

However, I think this extreme case does show that certain pieces of equipment *can* have an effect on race scenarios, apart from the horses set preferences. If anything instructive can be drawn from this whole episode, it may be noting a bright line distinction between 2 separate race factors, which many of us had taken for granted were entwined - race scenario (which factors in things like confidence, experience, etc) and a horses pre-set equipment preferences (which do not).

This FAQ post may hint at this distinction.
It is also the first time in 18 races that he broke first from the gate. IMO, that is why he won, not because he had blinkers. He was out front with nothing to interfere with him running his own race and letting his natural ability show.
I agree, but I think it's possible (even probable) that those two concepts are related. He broke first, at least in part, because of the blinkers.

Look at it this way - a horse doesn't need to have the right equipment to win. Lots of horses win despite having the "wrong" equipment on. The real question is not whether the horse prefers blinkers (we know he doesn't) - it's whether or not equipment choices can have racing implications beyond just whether or not they conform to the horses pre-set preferences. Before this race, I would have said there's no clear evidence for that hypothesis. Now, I think we have some evidence for that hypothesis - how clear it is, I'm not sure.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Three Crowns Racing
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Three Crowns Racing »

Paul Heinrich wrote:
Tyler Simmons wrote:
Paul Heinrich wrote:FWIW, I tend to agree with Tyler, in principle, in most cases. I don't think this race changes the general "rule" that you should use the equipment the horse "needs", and not look beyond those preferences in the vast majority of cases.

However, I think this extreme case does show that certain pieces of equipment *can* have an effect on race scenarios, apart from the horses set preferences. If anything instructive can be drawn from this whole episode, it may be noting a bright line distinction between 2 separate race factors, which many of us had taken for granted were entwined - race scenario (which factors in things like confidence, experience, etc) and a horses pre-set equipment preferences (which do not).

This FAQ post may hint at this distinction.
It is also the first time in 18 races that he broke first from the gate. IMO, that is why he won, not because he had blinkers. He was out front with nothing to interfere with him running his own race and letting his natural ability show.
I agree, but I think it's possible (even probable) that those two concepts are related. He broke first, at least in part, because of the blinkers.

Look at it this way - a horse doesn't need to have the right equipment to win. Lots of horses win despite having the "wrong" equipment on. The real question is not whether the horse prefers blinkers (we know he doesn't) - it's whether or not equipment choices can have racing implications beyond just whether or not they conform to the horses pre-set preferences. Before this race, I would have said there's no clear evidence for that hypothesis. Now, I think we have some evidence for that hypothesis - how clear it is, I'm not sure.
I'm just not convinced that equipment has any affect on how a race plays out other than, if a horse has the right equipment or not.

Reading the FAQ link that was posted does nothing to change my thinking. It seems to me that when a horse is 100% rested and at top physical and mental condition, has the right equipment, it is lucky enough to avoid a random bad break, and is running at its favorite distance, surface, and weather condition, it will run at 100% of its ability (give or take based on random variance). When any one of those things are not what fit the horse the best, it will run at less than 100%. A horse doesn't have to be 100% to win, but to me running with a piece of equipment that you know is wrong is like running in a weather condition that you know is not the best for the horse or running it when it isn't at peak condition; it could still win, but that doesn't mean you're putting the horse in position to run the best race it possibly could.
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

I just want to clarify, I still think it's almost always a bad idea to use other equipment when you know the horse's preferences. I still think, in general, you want to stick to the equipment preferences when you know what they are. I am just more open to the idea that the equipment a horse wears *can* affect it in ways that are separate from the pre-set formula it's "born" with. And frankly, I'm happy to think about it that way, because I never really cared for the 2-piece max, pre-set preferences to begin with.

In this case we are talking about a horse who has the talent to win, probably at high levels, despite having the wrong equipment on. From my own barn, Chutai was a good example - I never knew she preferred ear muffs until her headshot was delivered. And she won a Steward's Cup race without them. We know confidence is an *other* factor (see FAQ post quoted above) that doesn't have anything to do with what kind of equipment a horse prefers. Conceptually, it shouldn't be a stretch to imagine that for some horses, some equipment could have an impact on the race scenario without necessarily having a negative impact on the horse's pre-set equip preferences related performance. In this case, it was just more important to the horse's overall performance to figure out what was causing his confidence to be an impediment to winning, rather than running with the proper formula.

ETA - another way to look at it: with the right formula, the horse can run a mid-90's speed figure in the highest-level stakes, but still lose, because there is a non-formula-related factor as an impediment (confidence). If you find a way to address the confidence - in this case using blinkers to try to shoot the horse out of the gate, which is actually done in real life - maybe he no longer has the right formula, and can't post a mid-90's speed figure. But if you've addressed the impediment (confidence), your horse may still win.

Like I said, I wouldn't advise this course very often. I don't think most cases are this extreme, and you're more likely to put on a piece that the horse hates, and even make the performance worse. But I am happy to start considering that we have more equipment options than just finding the right pre-sets.
Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Post by Marzy Dotes »

I agree.
"Fools live to regret their words, wise men to regret their silence."

---Author, Will Henr

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

---Edmund Burke
Three Crowns Racing
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Three Crowns Racing »

Paul Heinrich wrote:But I am happy to start considering that we have more equipment options than just finding the right pre-sets.
I think it's pretty clear by now that neither Em nor the admins are going to comment on the matter and I don't think anyone on one side of the argument will sway those on the other. So I'll keep leaving equipment the same, you'll keep experimenting with it in certain circumstances, and your horses will continue to beat mine because they are way better than mine are :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(I do think we agree in Windrunner's case though, yes? The next race should be a NW2 and he should take the blinkers off?)
Landon Alexander
Hall of Fame

Post by Landon Alexander »

And now to see what the owner & trainer will do. :)
Landon Alexander
Hall of Fame

Just to blow your minds... I couldn't get my other "very special" QH to win so I stuck blinkers on her when she only needs a figure-8 bridle in her last start and she won. :)

http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=295702
Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Post by Marzy Dotes »

I swim my frustrating ones...something in those waters... 8)
"Fools live to regret their words, wise men to regret their silence."

---Author, Will Henr

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

---Edmund Burke
Josh Lamp I
Hall of Fame

Post by Josh Lamp I »

Landon Alexander wrote:Just to blow your minds... I couldn't get my other "very special" QH to win so I stuck blinkers on her when she only needs a figure-8 bridle in her last start and she won. :)

Must just be another coincidence... :roll:
Don't post anything, it might upset someone.
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

Tyler Simmons wrote: (I do think we agree in Windrunner's case though, yes? The next race should be a NW2 and he should take the blinkers off?)
Eh, I would definitely ditch the blinkers, but as for NW2... I'm not sure I'd be that conservative. He's got his win, he can stand, he's not likely to lose value as a stallion if he never wins again, especially considering the publicity he's gotten through this thread. I'd probably be most inclined to put him back into the class level he belongs in, which is clearly stakes.
Josh Lamp I
Hall of Fame

Post by Josh Lamp I »

There is no question this horse of the highest quality but his issue is confidence. At this point tossing him in a stake that he might lose could set him back to where he was. That is why i say get him two wins in a row before throwing him to the wolves.
Kay O. Johnson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Kay O. Johnson »

Flex has won 2 races in a row!
Landon Alexander
Hall of Fame

Landon Alexander wrote:Just to blow your minds... I couldn't get my other "very special" QH to win so I stuck blinkers on her when she only needs a figure-8 bridle in her last start and she won. :)

SOOO I honestly forgot to remove this filly's unneeded blinkers (remember she just needed a f8 bridle, but couldn't win)... and holy smokes she was on fire tonight! Another big win in the books with an "unnecessary" piece of equipment... heck, I don't know if I should take the blinkers off now...???

And should I take Windrunner's blinkers off??? I'm not so sure now.
Josh Lamp I
Hall of Fame

Post by Josh Lamp I »

Take them off, they are not helping you anymore. Both should have enough confidence to win as they should.