Suggestions Needed!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Rebecca Cass
Turf Router

Post by Rebecca Cass »

I need any ideas any of you might have on where to go next with <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=28567' target='_blank'>Raven Skies.</a>I sent him to Australia with the Melbourne Cup in mind, however I'm wondering if I would be ruining him by pushing him too far. That is the last thing I want to do, however I still think he could get that distance. I've also thought about sending him back to the states and try him on the dirt of late. Any ideas, thoughts suggestions would be of great help! Thanks!! :D
Steph Lonhro
Hall of Fame

Post by Steph Lonhro »

here is my opinion

I think racing him on the dirt would not be wise, that whole pedigree of Giant's Causeway Sadler's wells and nijinsky screams turf turf turf to me, I have a giant's causeway sadler's wells mix myself only thing different is I have secretariat instead of nijinsky

now you could attempt the melbourne cup if you want, but I think there may be other stakes races that he would fare better in(not saying he won't do good in the melbourne cup), for example in week 16 in new zealand there is a stakes race going a mile and a quarter he and that breeding may like, 16 NZ Kelt Capital/Ormond Memorial (G1) 1 1/4mT 3yo+ $500,000, not to say he shouldn't go in the melbourne cup, or this one in england going a mile, a distance he has won at, 16 GB Birthday Candles Turf 1m 3yo+ $350,000

in fact if you look through the stakes schedule there are quite a few turf stakes races that week if you do want to enter him in a stakes race

now these are just my thoughts

edited to add: I am not saying don't enter him, if you feel confident about his chances and you want to take that risk go for it, although I would see how he does in his next race before deciding to enter him if he were mine
Selati(dirt miler) $15k NY
Lani(unspecified type) $30k in NY
Lead the Crowd(turf miler) $15k NY
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

My thoughts on this horse:

1) He doesn't belong in the Melbourne Cup. He'd do well to return to the allowance ranks, gain a little bit of confidence, and then go looking for a nice, soft, 8-10f turf stakes like he found a few races back. There's no reason to feed him to the wolves rather than place him where he can win, and there's absolutely no sense in jumping to 16f from a 6.5f race.

2) I personally don't think he'll get the distance, and rather think he'll be better over 8-9f; I'm certain he won't get it off of a 6.5f race. If you eventually want to test him over a longer piece of ground, get him there gradually, stretching him back to a mile, then 10f, then 12-14, and finally test him out over 16. When he stalls out, you'll have accomplished the two tasks of finding what is truly his best distance and built him up to that distance appropriately.

2) He's not a dirt horse. Leave him on the turf where he'll be a solid money earner for you, rather than tempt fate by running on the dirt. At best, he'll run up the track, earn no money, and need three weeks to recover from the race instead of getting a chance to run in a turf race where he might make some money for you.
Rebecca Cass
Turf Router

Post by Rebecca Cass »

Thanks for the suggestions, it gives me more to think about for him! :D