Having Second Thoughts...

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Emily Thompson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Emily Thompson »

I am notorious (in my own mind) for entering horses and then freaking out and scratching them.

Case in point: <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=30780' target='_blank'>Bo Faithful</a>. I have entered her in the GI Personal Ensign Handicap, which I think is a pretty good fit for her. Well, I thought that, at least.

Now I'm having second thoughts and am debating scratching her for something a little lower profile.

Anyway. I'm kind of looking for someone to play devil's advocate here. Should I scratch her?
Becca Banner
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Becca Banner »

Heh, I debate that everytime I enter a horse in a stakes. I bet Mandy and Michelle get annoyed with me because I'll enter Yami in a race two weeks ahead then spend the entire time to race day talking myself out of it. Usually he still runs, but there are occasions (like the Arlington) where he doesn't.

With this horse, she might be a little over her head. Another Grade 2 or 3 would suit better maybe? Just to get her ready for a race like that.
At Stud:

Yamikishi - Winner of multiple stakes, including Steward's Cup Sprint. Sire of stakes winning sprinters, like Heroism. Stands for $10,000.

Journey's End Farms : Board $15/week
Steph Lonhro
Hall of Fame

Post by Steph Lonhro »

one part of me says yes, another part of me agrees with Becca about finding a grade 2 or 3, but it is your call

I always have the 'should I scratch my horse from this race' I had it last week with stormy and I am having it right now with clear lake, and those were a maiden and a nw 3 race, I can only imagine how I would be when I do get in to the stakes

good luck she sure looks like a nice filly
Selati(dirt miler) $15k NY
Lani(unspecified type) $30k in NY
Lead the Crowd(turf miler) $15k NY
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

I more often regret not scratching a horse than scratching him/her.

Handicapping put Bo Faithful 5th-6th out of 6 - I think she's in over her head unless she gets very lucky.
I'm just here for the fun of it
Emily Thompson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Emily Thompson »

I waffled about this for *hours* last night, but I have scratched her from the Personal Ensign and entered her instead in a (thus far) soft looking stakes race in week 12.

Yay.
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I scratch horses all the time at the last second, sometimes it works out, most of the time it does not. I think one should always go with their first instinct.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Well, when the tradeoff is only $50,000 in purse money, and the field for the Personal Ensign looks like it does... Wise move!