Finding the right race

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Sarah Anne
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Sarah Anne »

Hi everyone,
I have a few horses who I don't know quite what to do with, and any advice on the race choosing would be a lot of help. I have a few horses who I have absolutly no idea what to try with them. here goes.

Name: Bangalore
I believe in his 2 races he has come in last and second to last.
On his dam's side, he seems to want dirt, and on his sire's he seems to want turf. Not sure how much he will ever do considering his dam, Sure of Nothing, never placed above 5th although his sire, Touche, seemed like a very nice horse... so I'm confused. He has tried both dift and turf and got 12th and 10th respectively with a comment on his last race saying "Closed mildly stretch" Any ideas with him? Thanks

Here's another and even more of a puzzle to me...

Name: Cat Dust
raced 7 times with nothing above a 5th place finish. Sire is Dustinthemeadow Dam is Love That Cat. Both of her parent's have raced on turf and her sire did quite well, maybe she doesn't like the turf? Anyway, comment for last race is "Stalked 2 wide, moved up into stretch, dueled, lost ground, no rally"
Thanks

Name: Vital Speed
Seems to actually be one of my nicer horses <_< though I think he may not be running at his best distance. His last 2 comments said "Forced pace outside, urged to keep up, tired" where he placed third, and "Broke fast, taken outside leader, faded badly" where he placed 7th. Maybe a longer time off?

That's all for now, thanks in advance for any advice, this is a great game and I am looking foward to the day where I will be able to recognise horse's names and what they have accomplished just like in RL
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

My commentary, for what its worth:

Bangalore seems to just lack talent. I'd think he's more likely to prefer turf to dirt, but if he bombs one or two more races, ditch him on the sale page. Try putting blinkers on him or running him longer (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 miles), but don't hold out too much hope.

For Cat Dust, try her a few more times over the turf, try her once over the dirt, play with the equipment. Trying her over a shorter distance might be helpful, since whoever bred and raced her before did about as atrocious a job as one can do racing a horse. She's only raced under a mile in stakes races, which this filly has no business running in.

As far as Vital Speed, try him with lasix. He seems like she's stopping badly in her races, and lasix sometimes can fix that. A tongue tie may also work. He should be a good horse if you keep him in allowance company and mess with the equipment a little bit, though these horses raced way over their heads in stakes are sometimes difficult to bring back to their top form. Wait till he starts winning allowances before you test the stakes races again.
Sarah Anne
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Sarah Anne »

Ok, thanks for the advice