Attn: Rocky Catalano

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Ryen Hanna
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ryen Hanna »

Please scratch Cigar Point from his week 11 race. Having raced weeks 7, 9, and 10, running him again so soon is a set-up for disaster.
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I've seen a 2YO trained by a long-time trainer who has run five times already.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Becca Banner
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Becca Banner »

That doesn't mean its a smart thing to do. Just because you've been here a long time does not mean you know everything there is to know about the SIM.
At Stud:

Yamikishi - Winner of multiple stakes, including Steward's Cup Sprint. Sire of stakes winning sprinters, like Heroism. Stands for $10,000.

Journey's End Farms : Board $15/week
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Oh I totally agree, but that's my point. I wish we'd call everybody out on these sort of things.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Or call no one out, nod sadly and knowingly, and watch them make their own mistakes.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

You said it best!

I like to trumpet my record of 20-something game weeks, no injuries. However, that would surely mean I will have an injury to my stable star in a week's time.
Becca Banner
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Becca Banner »

That'd might be the way to go. 8 SIM years in the game and only one injury, think my second or third year. An overraced filly finally said "no more!". Can't remember if I was warned about it or not but I can definitly say I learned my lesson well. Never did it again.
At Stud:

Yamikishi - Winner of multiple stakes, including Steward's Cup Sprint. Sire of stakes winning sprinters, like Heroism. Stands for $10,000.

Journey's End Farms : Board $15/week
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

I've only had one breakdown in all of my time here on the SIM... as long as I am remembering correctly.

I joined back in year 11... and one of my homebred fillies from the old SIM was named Lackadaisical ( <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=15080' target='_blank'>http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php ... D=15080</a> ). I adored her. I wanted her to be one of those horses who runs completely opposite to what their name implies. I *think*, back then, I just didn't know that inbreeding to Silver Charm was like a death sentence... but maybe I thought with the inbreeding to the rock Rain Dancer and with the father being the rock Conduit that it would be okay. It was probably the first one, though. :lol:

In her very first start she broke down on the track and was put down. I was crushed. She was my *only* Conduit baby that I had at the time (and he was SUCH a rockstar back then!!!)... I was completely torn up. Her dam, Stormy Sonata, was probably one of if not my absolute best mare... :lol: it really was hard to find winners (or anything with talent) off the sales page back then... there's your proof! At least for the newbies who were broke like me, anyway. :) You spoiled Trial Park-ers. :lol: hehe

Okay... well I don't remember my point now. Too much memory lane. :D

I did have a 2 y/o get bucked shins first thing this year - but that was one of those random things, so that has nothing to do with me.

And, Em, since Glitterman was pensioned this year... is that my "disaster" for the year?

Woohoo for changing the subject! ;)
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Emily Thompson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Emily Thompson »

The Steward wrote: Or call no one out, nod sadly and knowingly, and watch them make their own mistakes.
I completely agree with this. I'm sure I'm not the only one tired of the endless cycle of these threads.

Step 1. Someone gets called out for "improper training". (or whatever you want to call it.)

Step 2. Someone makes a snide comment about so-called newbies and their training methods. (Whether said comment is meant to be snide or not, that's invariably how it is taken.)

Step 3. Responsible newer players take exception to being tarred with the brush of "person who knows no better, and must be shown every tiny thing. Repeatedly."

Step 4. Older players "remind" everyone about how hard they had it.

Step 5. Thread devolves into endless infighting over who has it tougher.

Wash, rinse, repeat ad nauseum.

:rolleyes:
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Step one: cut a hole in a box...
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

Emily Mitchell wrote:She was my *only* Conduit baby that I had at the time (and he was SUCH a rockstar back then!!!)
What are you talking about, Conduit is still a rockstar. :P

Also your mistake was picking Cyclone as a conduit (haha get it?) for Rain Dancer blood. He was one of the breakier ones. Jet and Yacht are 2x3 to Rainy and Colorado is 2x3x4 to her. I would not necessarily recommend this practice to others but it makes me happy so hey. :)

Just wait until I breed Colorado to Chaste. I believe that foal will be so inbred that, much like a closed universe, she will have travelled around so far that she will be able to see her own behind. (trust me, that does make sense if you're a giant nerd like me)
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

EmThompson wrote: Step 4. Older players "remind" everyone about how hard they had it.

Step 5. Thread devolves into endless infighting over who has it tougher.

Wash, rinse, repeat ad nauseum.

:rolleyes:
Sorry if my post came across like that, I just meant to tell my story about that one filly breaking down - and that she was one of my best (which is why it had such a huge impact on me)... I thought might be hard for some new players to believe now, given the vast amount of quality in the game today. So I just pointed that out so you'd all know it wasn't just the fact that I sucked completely (though I did suck quite a bit! :lol: ).
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Kelse Mccann
Turf Router

Post by Kelse Mccann »

I appreciate all the help i get, or else i would be screwed, not saying im not currently screwed, but i would be more screwed, Laura F and Nikki S are my heroes lol
Emily Thompson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Emily Thompson »

Emily Mitchell wrote: Sorry if my post came across like that, I just meant to tell my story about that one filly breaking down - and that she was one of my best (which is why it had such a huge impact on me)... I thought might be hard for some new players to believe now, given the vast amount of quality in the game today. So I just pointed that out so you'd all know it wasn't just the fact that I sucked completely (though I did suck quite a bit! :lol: ).
Lol...that was totally not directed at you or your post. I was speaking in general terms of what usually happens in these threads. :D
Martin Pennington
Hall of Fame

Post by Martin Pennington »

That's the last time I tell you about Batman's retirement Kelse *humph* :P