Y35 New Gender Selection Format

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Amanda Haderthauer
Derby Contender

Re: Y35 New Gender Selection Format

Post by Amanda Haderthauer »

Mike Springer wrote:I wish I could sell or trade 10 or 15 of my gender selections to other trainers who need/want more. I will most likely only use 5-7 of them.
I would like this too. I don't foresee using more than 10, so I will have some to spare.
Jennifer Klebsch
Miler

Post by Jennifer Klebsch »

So far I have 30 foals, 22 colts and 8 fillies. 4 gender selected fillies, 5 gender selected colts. So it's definitely keeping the filly numbers down, for me at least!
PROUD BREEDER/OWNER OF:

GOLD SWEPT, Steward's Cup Juvenile Fillies Sprint champion, GRADED STAKES winner at 2, 3, 4, 5, AND 6, earner of $1.9 million!

LAST PARADE, Steward's Cup placed, G1 winner of graded stakes at 2, 3, and 4!
Dave Zilla
Miler

Post by Dave Zilla »

I think you can "sell" these selections by being a bit creative:

Owner of the mare leases the the mare to you for free.
You breed the mare to the selected stud and select the requested gender.
You sell the foal back to the owner of the mare for the stud fee plus the agreed upon selection fee.

The only drawback is that you and not the owner of the foal, is the breeder of record.
Dave Zilla
Greentree Racing
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Greentree Racing »

Louise Bayou wrote:
Stormy Peak wrote:I just don't see the need for gender control here in this game...even if the gender does slant more in one way then the other.

I like a lot of the realism in the game but at some point if it gets too real it loses a lot of the fun and fantasy aspect that drew so many here....including myself.

Stormy
Totally agree Stormy. This is a fantasy game and while I totally enjoy how real it is, some "fantasy" aspects of the game are needed and wanted.
I agree too (altho I only breed 1 to 7 foals a year). Honestly in 16 seasons (6 real life years), everytime I've bred a male, its a dud anyway, so gave up.

Theres a LOT of data mining the Steward can do, to find out who is breeding a lot of females, & fix it. Plus, this IS a fantasy game, & horses can be gone, with the push of a computer key, so big deal. I guess I am not understanding what the problem is (& even why theres a penalty for getting rid of a young horse one doesn't want). <scratches head>.
Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Post by Marzy Dotes »

In the same way that some people 'don't see the need' to keep the number of extra fillies down, I don't see how the new rules really affect much. Look at it this way, you get to choose 20 per year. For me, I'll breed roughly 100 foals this year, maybe more, maybe less. I can pick the gender for 20% of them, for my most expensive leases or whatever. For the rest, there's still a 50% chance I'm going to get the gender I want, if indeed I want it. It's a coin flip; roughly half the time you'll get what you want. That sounds pretty good to me.
Yeah. part of the challenge is adapting to changes. This one's easier than I thought it would be.

So far three colts, one filly. More colts more money from gelding at the very least! :)
"Fools live to regret their words, wise men to regret their silence."

---Author, Will Henr

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

---Edmund Burke
Matty Dubs
Eclipse Champion

Post by Matty Dubs »

I'm getting way too many fillies when I don't want them. Boo.
This is where a creative signature would go.
Matty Dubs
Eclipse Champion

Post by Matty Dubs »

So maybe this idea was already mentioned...but if we don't want to use 20 in one season, can we stockpile the breedings for the following year? For example, if I don't use 5 of my selections, can I have 25 next year?
This is where a creative signature would go.
Stephen Cleveland
Sprinter

Post by Stephen Cleveland »

Uhhhhhhh this is probably late to post on this subject but I was never aware of any 50/50 breeding suggestion.
Lauren Haggerty
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Lauren Haggerty »

Stephen, the discussion comes up every few years and it's never a pleasant one. Here's an example from 2008 with a few responses from the Steward: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6888&hilit=foal+ratio which is the closest I could get to finding a 50/50 suggestion in the limited time I wanted to search this morning.

I would suggest you dig into the breeding forum when you have some time as Paul Heinrich does a filly/colt ratio thread every year right before the break to try and convince people to fix their own ratios.
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

FWIW, this "20 selections only" thing has made me even slower to breed than usual. It's going to be an interesting final week
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I'll just note that we're batting 54% fillies so far this year under this new format.
Charles Bunbury
Hall of Fame

Post by Charles Bunbury »

I'm currently at 191;

86 Female
15 Female(gender selected)
90 Male

52.88% Female
47.12% Male

I doubt the vast majority of those 86 females would have been chosen if the option to choose male (not from gender selection) was also available!

Wish list
Alternate horses between jumps and flat.
Search for previous rather than current owners of horses.
Stallions year entered for stud duties.
Automated assistant trainers - sorted, kind of!
European claiming circuit.

Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Well I've randomised all of mine so far cos I don't really mind and the 2 mares that I got leases from had both been randomised too with one bringing a colt and the other a filly. Here's how I'm faring this year:
19 foals
10 Females-52.6%
9 Males-47.4%

So almost 50%, not bad, for me the SIM is doing it's job :) I'm pretty sure the next foal I'd breed would be a colt ;)
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

42 foals - 19 of 20 gender selections remaining

22 fillies - 52.3%
20 males
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Post by Marzy Dotes »