SIMMY Poll

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

Should We Have SIMMY Voting for Y34?

Yes, I want to use my right to vote!
33%
No, let the Steward just pick who wins and enjoy the backlash aimed solely at her
67%

Total votes: 126

Alex Saf A Ka
Derby Contender

Re: SIMMY Poll

Post by Alex Saf A Ka »

Why not a committee of 20
Junior=2
Intermediate =3
Advanced =4
Veteran =5
Expert =6(with the steward being 1)
Only rules is cant vote for your own horses
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

My opinion: while I want to win if I'm nominated, the annual SIMMY vote creates more drama and division than it's worth, is waaaay too much work for the Stew (even if we create a politburo), and is ultimately meaningless. All you get is a line on the horse's page for winning.

So let's take the alienation out of the process. If we must have the awards, lets leave it to Em.

And if I hear about one single insane rant of vitriol sent to the steward as a result, I'm either taking podcasts away or doubling them, depending on which option is more painful! You are warned!

All in fun.
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.
Megan Grant
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Megan Grant »

NEITHER.

There should be a point-based system in place.
Kay O. Johnson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Kay O. Johnson »

2 committees- 1 for TB and 1 for mixers.
Kay O. Johnson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Kay O. Johnson »

No point system unless the mixers get more categories- a 2yr old sprinter will usually have more points than a mid or router.
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Post by J K Rowling »

Kay O. Johnson wrote:No point system unless the mixers get more categories- a 2yr old sprinter will usually have more points than a mid or router.
I still think expanded SIMMYs for mixers is dumb. That's like asking for a North American Champion Older Male for every single surface and distance. Last year for Paint 2yos, both winners were mids. Y32? A sprinter and a mid. Y31? Two mids. Routers open up week 7, which isn't a huge travesty. Hell, I focus on routers and I could care less if my 2yo wins a SIMMY. The more awards we give out, the more meaningless it becomes. Not every horse is some special snowflake that deserves a gold star for being the best Appaloosa Two Year Old Route Female of Year 34.

A points based system would mess up a lot of awards for both TBs and mixers.
"The way I look at it, I'm not meeting anyone better than Julie K... so what am I missing?"

The Sim: Where the horses are made up and cheating doesn't matter.
Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Post by Marzy Dotes »

I liked voting though I only voted in those catagories I knew about or had time to research to try to make the best decision but I realize there's a lot of work that goes into it and quite a bit of political flak. That's the nature of any awards process and I don't think anything will be entirely free of that. There's always going to be controversy which isn't a bad thing if people are respectful about their differing opinions.

I'm cool with whatever way it goes. I don't give them too much thought when I campaign my horses. I just place them where they're happiest and can do the best though I have won some mixer ones. But it's kind of fun to see who's doing what in which division at the end of the year.

A panel might work but often panels (which are used in a variety of award processes including ones I've been involved with including right now)often attract dissent and controversy as well including in some cases challenging the "qualifications" of the membership. So just be prepared. 8)
"Fools live to regret their words, wise men to regret their silence."

---Author, Will Henr

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

---Edmund Burke
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

I'd rather see them done away with entirely than having Em do all the legwork. Under the current system of categories (i.e. lumping all 2YOs together) having them decided solely on points wouldn't work either, as discussed at length above.

I honestly would be fine with the lines on the horse's pages being automatically generated solely on points, i.e. high point 3yo dirt miler female in North America for Year 35, etc. Yes, there'd have to be a category for each silly little category of runners, and it would be a little ridiculous in terms of the sheer amount of categories. Yes, it wouldn't consider things like dominance, overall class, number of starts, quality of competition, or performance in other jurisdictions, and there would be butthurt people at the end, but tough ----. There are always butthurt people anyway.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

As much as I enjoy voting (it catches me up on who's who), I'm all for anything that makes Em's life easier. *cheers, Em!*
Abe Froman
Hall of Fame

Post by Abe Froman »

Overwhelming response not to vote
Amy Bahama
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Amy Bahama »

I'm sorry, all this time worrying about the right the vote when they could have been up and done already. Why do these things always take forever? I guess I'm just older but my patience level for waiting for everything in the game is about shot. Just run the report.
Iron City Louisiana

Home to many quality stallions to meet all your racing needs for a reasonable fee.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Amy Springsteen wrote:I'm sorry, all this time worrying about the right the vote when they could have been up and done already. Why do these things always take forever? I guess I'm just older but my patience level for waiting for everything in the game is about shot. Just run the report.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTkCHE1sS4
Abe Froman
Hall of Fame

Post by Abe Froman »

Mark me confused...Better than 2-1 decision to have The Steward select simmy winners, yet mixed simmys are up for vote...
Brandon Cashell
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Brandon Cashell »

Lol Abe you are not alone I was just thinking the same thing.
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

Why the poll ?

Oh well, I'll go back to completely ignoring Wednesday horses. Lets wind up for another meaningless thread or seven of politicking/whining.
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.