Kentucky Derby

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Bill Oelrich
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Bill Oelrich »

I am just curoius to see who everyone is going with for the favorite this year.
(Starting Gate linup curtousy of Bloodhorse.com)
Zinfandel's Story turf router stud fee: $20k
Beyond the Stars dirt miler to router stud fee: $25k
China Grove paint 350 yrds to 400 yrds - stud fee: $10k
Red Pine Appaloosa 870 yrds - stud fee: $10k
Wii turf sprinter stud fee: $10k
Jackie
Sprinter

Post by Jackie »

I like both Stormello and Dominican :D
Bill Oelrich
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Bill Oelrich »

Im going with Curlin. I love the way he holds his speed til the straightaway and he makes it seem like everyone else isnt even running.
Zinfandel's Story turf router stud fee: $20k
Beyond the Stars dirt miler to router stud fee: $25k
China Grove paint 350 yrds to 400 yrds - stud fee: $10k
Red Pine Appaloosa 870 yrds - stud fee: $10k
Wii turf sprinter stud fee: $10k
Janey Adams
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Janey Adams »

Street Sense for me!

I also like Stormello and Dominican, but Street Sense is my boy!
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

I liked Tiago ever since I knew who he was. How can anyone who knows Em/the Turf Angels group not love someone related to Giacomo?

But after the SA Derby... I'm now hardcore Tiago. Even selected him in the RTTR thing to win it. Woot Tiago!
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Sarah Anne
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Sarah Anne »

Easy. Any Given Saturday. I loved him ever since I saw his name. I used to own a colt in the SIM named Any Given Saturday, well... two of his starts anyway, and he has since broken down and was euthanized. Lets just hope that the real AGS has a better fate :-)
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

It's a trifecta for me....box it...as I'm really not sure how I would like them to finish. : ) But I think it could be these three.

NoBizLikeShoBiz
Hard Spun
Any Given Saturday
Alt: Scat Daddy : )
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Patten Fuqua
Classic Contender

Post by Patten Fuqua »

Okay...maybe I missed something...I've seen 19 of these horses run...and I've seen about 10 in the flesh...but who the crap is Albertus Maximus?
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Albertus broke his maiden at Santa Anita very impressively, but he's not Derby bound.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Martin Pennington
Hall of Fame

Post by Martin Pennington »

I'm with Lynn and AGS and voted accordingly. If not him then would love to see Scat Daddy win as a friend of a friend pinhooked him a few years ago and would be good to see him get some recognition and success :)
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

I am a HUGE Nobiz fan (Mainly because I picked his daddy, Albert the Great out of the yearling sales catalog) - so I'm completely psyched that Al sired such a precocious and amazing son.
I'm just here for the fun of it
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Tiago needs pace to be a factor. Sadly, he won't get it.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

J Slotman wrote: Tiago needs pace to be a factor.  Sadly, he won't get it.
Don't be so sure of that. Its the Derby, so stranger things have happened. All you really need is 2 out of the 20 to spaz out and go for broke early and suddenly there are a whole host of closers looking really, really nice.

It helps that a number of the favorites are closers: Circular Quay, Tiago, Street Sense... they'll all have something to say about the outcome and they'll all be running from near the back. When so much of the class of the field is coming from the back half of the field, their class edge might make up for the lack of pace. Who knows?

I feel like War Emblem is still a little too fresh in people's minds to let the top 3 go around the track in the same order again. Someone will run early, even if its only because two trainers get the same idea that nobody's going to the front and decide to take the initiative.
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I hear you, and I'm not saying they're going to do a 51 half or something like that. However, War Emblem ran honest fractions of 24 and 47 and had more than enough to pull away. I think a horse on the front end is going to win this race unless Cowtown Cat or Tuefelsberg goes nuts. We don't have a Spanish Chestnut or Keyed Entry or even a Songandaprayer in this race.

My honest opinion is the DEEP closers - Quay, Tiago, Great Hunter, maybe a couple others - are going to be severely compromised by the pace. This all depends on how the track is playing next Saturday, obviously. Tiago has one thing going for him: he's already faster than Giacomo ever was.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Chris Carman
Derby Contender

Post by Chris Carman »

My Top 3

1. Curlin
2. Nobiz Like Shobiz
3. Dominican