Dh?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

Is <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/race.php?RaceID=20632' target='_blank'>this</a> a dead heat? Just curious.
Chris Carman
Derby Contender

Post by Chris Carman »

It doesn't look like it, A dead heat would pay win money to both horses and Kizz's Action is placed 2nd on her page. I guess it was just a glitch in the win margin. The dead heat that I remember is Baffert-Democracy in a 1 mile Maiden at Belmont Park, if you are looking for an example of DH.
Michelle Calderoni
Hall of Fame

Post by Michelle Calderoni »

I would guess it was a photo finish.
Pegasus Feathers International -Dubai
Edward Cullen -$35k | Fleet Admiral -$35k | Visine -$10k
Champions Producing Champions
Peihe Sun
Eclipse Champion

Post by Peihe Sun »

a photo finish would show a winning margin of a nose, wouldn't it?
Warpath,
Faithful, Light of the Moon,
Unashamed, Clear Blue Sky
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I am the Steward, not Laura. It's a nose victory, I was just distractedly watching TV and didn't correct it.
Mandy Saunders
Eclipse Champion

Post by Mandy Saunders »

~ Mandy ~

Click here to visit The Stallions of Lakeside!

Last updated: Year 26, Break - Wow, it's been awhile, I need to get on that, lol

RIP Shelly & June...I will love you, always.
Bill Oelrich
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Bill Oelrich »

if you click on both of their names it says that they finished with the exact same time so it should be a dual heat
Zinfandel's Story turf router stud fee: $20k
Beyond the Stars dirt miler to router stud fee: $25k
China Grove paint 350 yrds to 400 yrds - stud fee: $10k
Red Pine Appaloosa 870 yrds - stud fee: $10k
Wii turf sprinter stud fee: $10k
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

Bill Oelrich wrote: if you click on both of their names it says that they finished with the exact same time so it should be a dual heat
Nope. That time is for the race itself... so the winning horse- not each individual horse. Just one time is ever listed for a race. :)
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

If you want to calculate your own horse's time, the rule of thumb is that a horse travels one length in 1/5 of a second. So if the winner ran the race in, say, 1:08.09 (as in the race Mandy posted), and your horse finished three lengths from the winner, you calculate it like this:

Winner: 68 seconds
Your horse: 68 seconds + (3 lengths * 1/5 second) = 68 3/5 seconds, or roughly 1:08.60.

Note that .09 seconds is not equal to 1/5 of a second; it's actually closer to 1/10 of a second. You can either round it to the closest 1/5 of a second or (what is usually done) only count FULL fifths of a second, and any remainder is thrown out. Thus:

1:08.00 = 1:08 flat
1:08.05 = 1:08 flat
1:08.18 = 1:08 flat
1:08.20 = 1:08 1/5
1:08.26 = 1:08 1/5
1:08.42 = 1:08 2/5

This is because the old, non-decimal stopwatches would not switch over to the next 1/5 of a second until it was a full 1/5; they did not round up. So as far as they were concerned, 1:08.00, 1:08.05, and 1:08.18 were all equal to 1:08 flat because the next 1/5 of a second had not yet been achieved and the stopwatch had not yet flipped over to 1:08 1/5.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Martin Pennington
Hall of Fame

Post by Martin Pennington »

Real life I generally use 1 second = 3 lengths though it varies over distance.

If it's anything like real life be very wary of the French times - the real official times show 2 listed fillies being 5 lengths better than the rest over 10f.

Good break down though Ara - I always look at times on the SIM ((though get the feeling i'm the only one - for races anyway)
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

Martin Pennington wrote: Real life I generally use 1 second = 3 lengths though it varies over distance.

If it's anything like real life be very wary of the French times - the real official times show 2 listed fillies being 5 lengths better than the rest over 10f.

Good break down though Ara - I always look at times on the SIM ((though get the feeling i'm the only one - for races anyway)
Actually I always look at the times now for my "stake caliber" horses. It does help in figuring out if one of my horses "fits in" with the rest or not.

Of course I didn't know about timing of lengths I just loosely based if my horse's race had same time as another race but was 3 lengths back (of the winner) it would be a legit shot at possibly catching a win against that other race's winner (if that was the match up). Any further than 3 lengths back of the winner and I either look for another race or "roll the dice and go for it anyways".

I also realize that different tracks yield different times, so that also factors in a bit too. Not that I know the "fast" or "slow" tracks, but I can see over a horses season (year 18 since the times were fine tuned) and make an average.

At first glance at Ara's explanation, my head nearly exploded (yeah math is not my thing). But I do appreciate the breakdown and I think I might have learned something too. :)
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

Dave Shields wrote: At first glance at Ara's explanation, my head nearly exploded (yeah math is not my thing).
There's a reason I'm majoring in engineering. *g*

I want to note that the 1 length = 1/5 of a second is of course not exact, since it depends on distance, surface, and other variables, but it's a decent guideline.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle