Need Some Advice

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jackson Muniz
Turf Router

Need Some Advice

Post by Jackson Muniz »

So I claimed this sprinter for $50,000 and he is 4 for 4 this year. He's run in 3 claimers, but also won a stakes race this year. I don't really know much about all weather horses so I don't know if the field he beat a good field or not. I'm trying to decide if he would be worth nominating him to the Steward's Cup for 50k. The nominations close on wk 13 fri. However his next start will be in a stakes but it's not until wk 14 mon. So even if he runs well there I wouldn't be able to nominate him after the race. Here's the link. http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=356736 Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Jackson Muniz
Turf Router

Re: Need Some Advice

Post by Jackson Muniz »

I probably should have mentioned that I want to know if it will be worth to nominate him to the steward's cup for 50k.
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

You've spent $50k on him already, and haven't started to make that back yet. With the nomination, you'd be out $100k on the horse. Now you want to enter him in the toughest race of the year and try to make that back, running against several other nice(r) colts.

To me, this is a bad choice from a financial standpoint. It's very hard for an AW sprinter to earn more than $200k in their lifetime, unless they are STELLAR stakes winners. He's also at the end of his 3yo year, and although he's a gelding, he'll probably start to tail off at 4. Even the stakes win looks like a fluke; the speed figure is dismally slow, despite the win against some nice colts. And his other wins are around that time, compared to the 76+ most others are running.

However, if you're just so excited to put a horse in the SC, then go for it. There's not much to compare to the excitement and anticipation of having a horse in a Steward's Cup race. Just be aware that that is an emotional decision, not a rational one, and you'll have to deal with whatever comes out of it.

He's a nice colt, probably best at the allowance or upper claimer levels (75k +). I think if you find him light fields and keep his confidence up, he'll run longer for you and give you a chance to earn that money back. It's likely if he gets trounced in the SC that he'll suffer the rest of his career.
Lee Cara
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Lee Cara »

Jackson i agree with Madeline, he should be a upper level Claimer or Allowance runner. i would like to think i had a few better than him around hence the fact he was in a claimer, either way he is a great pick up and worst case scenario he will be a Alaska destroyer for another 5 seasons.
Keep an eye out for my claimers Thanks lee
Jackson Muniz
Turf Router

Post by Jackson Muniz »

Thanks for the Feedback! I've decided not to nominate him as I don't have a lot of money right now any even if he was good enough. Again, Thanks!