Bloodstock Agent

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Re: Bloodstock Agent

Post by Nena Olson »

I don't think it is!
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

Cleo Patra wrote:I had a star mare downgrade to a formidable. Is that supposed to happen?
Mares definitely could be downgraded prior to sometime early in Y34, at least in terms of nick grades, so I would imagine that was true for the BSA as well. If she was checked prior to that time, I wouldn't be terribly surprised.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I kind of view bloodstock agent comments the same way I view gallops. They're nice, but once the mare starts producing, I don't care what the bloodstock comment is - I'm going to judge her based on her production. So, I'm not going back and rechecking any of my mares. There's too many other factors (the stallion you crossed her with, random slide), for me to care what end of the star mare spectrum a mare falls under - her underlying base ability has not changed. Sort of like with scary good gallops - maturity, correct equipment/distance and confidence can all affect how the horse turns out on the track.

Just my two cents' worth.
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

Ultimately, a think breeding is a crapshoot, whether you're talking SIM or real life. I'm astounded that some players make black-or-white decisions, such as not allowing anything lower than a star mare in their breeding barn, or getting rid of all yearlings that gallop less than wings (or whatever).

If I'd banished all "good" mares from my barn, or gotten rid of all my htt yearlings, I'd never gotten five times Grade 1 stakes winner War Lock. If I'd pooh-poohed "potential" mares, had we had mare quality way back when, I'd never have some of the blue hen Arabians I have now that descended from such. If I'd turned my nose up at any nick less than a B+... well, there's too many stakes winners to list that I would have bypassed.

Still, I love playing with all the toys we have to help us make proactive decisions.

I love SIM for always keeping us guessing and never being comfortably predictable. :D
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Regina Moore wrote:Ultimately, a think breeding is a crapshoot, whether you're talking SIM or real life. I'm astounded that some players make black-or-white decisions, such as not allowing anything lower than a star mare in their breeding barn, or getting rid of all yearlings that gallop less than wings (or whatever).

If I'd banished all "good" mares from my barn, or gotten rid of all my htt yearlings, I'd never gotten five times Grade 1 stakes winner War Lock. If I'd pooh-poohed "potential" mares, had we had mare quality way back when, I'd never have some of the blue hen Arabians I have now that descended from such. If I'd turned my nose up at any nick less than a B+... well, there's too many stakes winners to list that I would have bypassed.

Still, I love playing with all the toys we have to help us make proactive decisions.

I love SIM for always keeping us guessing and never being comfortably predictable. :D
I think for those of us who would rather run a smaller breeding and racing operation in order to maintain interest in the game and not get overwhelmed, it actually is imperative that we cull regularly and get rid of the HTT's and "good" broodmares. After all, I think we can all agree that stars (or blue hens or whatever) have a better chance of producing a quality horse than a good or formidable does. Same thing with gallops; those galloping with higher praise from the trainer generally perform better on the track. You're right that we're probably giving up on some profitable horses, but there's no way to know. In the end, it's about maximizing the opportunity to breed and train a stakes winner. I will, however, admit that I have never won a Steward's Cup race, so what do I know? :P
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Rob Canterbury
Eclipse Champion

Post by Rob Canterbury »

I just tested an appy mare of mine that has produced three sc winners. The horse was not even a Star broodmare. Clearly three SC champions seems to be a statistical irregularity of the slide.

For my to cents this broodmare blue horn things a giant money suck...
Live Strong- Baltimore crown champion- dirt route
Its a Gamble--MONSTER!
Afriad to Lead-- SC winner
Lauren Haggerty
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Lauren Haggerty »

Of course it is!

The whole bloodstock thing in general does nothing more than suck money. And of course I'm one of those suckers because I *did* re ask on all of my star mares. I was kind of surprised with some of the outcomes. Those that I were expecting to be blue hens were just stars and vise versa.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I only BSed four of my star mares ... 3 were blue hens. They seem just as rare as stars were.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Kay O. Johnson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Kay O. Johnson »

As long as people continue to use money to re bloodstock their broodmares, I would assume that the administration will continue to split the divisions. If you don't want to spend any more money or don't want blue hens split into another group, I would suggest that no one spend any GPs to re test their mares. Does it really make a difference if your mares are stars or blue hens?
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Kay O. Johnson wrote:As long as people continue to use money to re bloodstock their broodmares, I would assume that the administration will continue to split the divisions. If you don't want to spend any more money or don't want blue hens split into another group, I would suggest that no one spend any GPs to re test their mares. Does it really make a difference if your mares are stars or blue hens?
BS checking horses has never cost GP as far as I know. Is there something I'm missing?
Rachel Sadler
Turf Router

Post by Rachel Sadler »

Laura Ferguson wrote:I kind of view bloodstock agent comments the same way I view gallops. They're nice, but once the mare starts producing, I don't care what the bloodstock comment is - I'm going to judge her based on her production. So, I'm not going back and rechecking any of my mares. There's too many other factors (the stallion you crossed her with, random slide), for me to care what end of the star mare spectrum a mare falls under - her underlying base ability has not changed. Sort of like with scary good gallops - maturity, correct equipment/distance and confidence can all affect how the horse turns out on the track.

What she said :D
"I wish people will tell me when there unhappy"

We did, and you didn't do anything to fix the reason why we are unhappy!
Kay O. Johnson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Kay O. Johnson »

sorry Danny, I've had a bad day and everyone already knows I'm crazy!
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

I rechecked all of mine, just out of curiosity. Only 2 popped up blue hen, out of 30. Both were unexpected and recently retired, so we'll see what they can do. However, I think BS works the same on all weather as gallops do - late to the party. Mares with multiple stakes winners (SC runners) were still stars, so I don't think there'll be much difference on AW compared to other divisions.
Westurf Nursery
Sprinter

Post by Westurf Nursery »

Can we change the comment to something without actual significance? The term "blue hen" is an actual term that is not casually thrown around to any mare that may or may not produce. It is a title awarded to the best of the best who have proven themselves as producers.

Blue Hen” Mare: A mare which IS a prolific producer of quality offspring. In addition, her sons and/or daughters also have a significant impact on the breed; i.e., Grey Flight, *La Troienne.

Maybe change the comment to "_________ looks like a spectacular producer, what a special mare!"

I don't know, but anything besides blue hen please.
Lisa Strummer
Hall of Fame

Post by Lisa Strummer »

Laura Ferguson wrote:I kind of view bloodstock agent comments the same way I view gallops. They're nice, but once the mare starts producing, I don't care what the bloodstock comment is - I'm going to judge her based on her production. So, I'm not going back and rechecking any of my mares. There's too many other factors (the stallion you crossed her with, random slide), for me to care what end of the star mare spectrum a mare falls under - her underlying base ability has not changed. Sort of like with scary good gallops - maturity, correct equipment/distance and confidence can all affect how the horse turns out on the track.

Exactly.
That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.-Bryan Doolittle