Fluke or Legit?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jackson Muniz
Turf Router

Fluke or Legit?

Post by Jackson Muniz »

Karl Smythe
Hall of Fame

Re: Fluke or Legit?

Post by Karl Smythe »

Hey Jackson,
Not sure what his gallop comment is in his notes but I just tested him for 10k and he got the 'impressive animal, buy, buy comment'.
Looks like he could be improving with age.
Should be lots of fun for you.
Karl
Is the glass half full? or half empty?
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

Hey Jackson,

I've had similar horses who have suffered early in their careers from being crammed into top notch fields, only to blossom after a successful graduation through the claiming ranks. I would attribute his success in his last several starts to this phenomenon, rather than his aging or gelding. Although the later two probably help in his case as well! :)

I will say from experience though that these types of horses generally win based on confidence rather than skill alone, and you should pop them in and out of the upper levels to keep them winning. I've ruined several of these by finally getting them that nice stakes win and then keeping them there. They've all lost within their next start or two (miserably, I might add) and then finish in the back of the pack for any remaining starts, including $1,000 claimers.

He's a very nice older gelding, and you shouldn't feel bad about dropping him back to the claimers again if you want. Even if he was claimed away you're still making profit on him!
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

Perhaps a good candidate for the Gelding World Cup this year?
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I wouldn't put him back in a claimer - he looks like one that has improved with age. I'd run him in another stakes and if he wins again, I'd consider supplementing him to the Steward's Cup. The Gelding World Cup is an option, but it usually has a race at 1 1/4 miles, and he looks best at 1 1/16 to 1 1/8 miles - not to say he couldn't run well there, as he's run well at the distance, but my thought would be to try him in another stakes, as he's run some of the fastest times this year for all-weather routers. The Steward's Cup race is $500k, not too shabby. Good luck with him!
Jackson Muniz
Turf Router

Post by Jackson Muniz »

Karl Smythe wrote:Hey Jackson,
Not sure what his gallop comment is in his notes but I just tested him for 10k and he got the 'impressive animal, buy, buy comment'.
Karl
He galloped wow as yearling/2 year old, but was a wings as a 3 year old. He hasn't been checked since but I would assume he has improved again. Also it's nice to know he's an impressive animal because I rarely have those.
Madelene Gilbert wrote: Hey Jackson,
I've had similar horses who have suffered early in their careers from being crammed into top notch fields, only to blossom after a successful graduation through the claiming ranks. I would attribute his success in his last several starts to this phenomenon, rather than his aging or gelding. Although the later two probably help in his case as well! :)

I will say from experience though that these types of horses generally win based on confidence rather than skill alone, and you should pop them in and out of the upper levels to keep them winning. I've ruined several of these by finally getting them that nice stakes win and then keeping them there. They've all lost within their next start or two (miserably, I might add) and then finish in the back of the pack for any remaining starts, including $1,000 claimers.

He's a very nice older gelding, and you shouldn't feel bad about dropping him back to the claimers again if you want. Even if he was claimed away you're still making profit on him!
I do think his confidence his sky-high right now and that was the main reason I entered in the stake. I've had bad experiences with rushing horses into high stakes so I'll be careful where I place him.
Laura Ferguson wrote:I wouldn't put him back in a claimer - he looks like one that has improved with age. I'd run him in another stakes and if he wins again, I'd consider supplementing him to the Steward's Cup. The Gelding World Cup is an option, but it usually has a race at 1 1/4 miles, and he looks best at 1 1/16 to 1 1/8 miles - not to say he couldn't run well there, as he's run well at the distance, but my thought would be to try him in another stakes, as he's run some of the fastest times this year for all-weather routers. The Steward's Cup race is $500k, not too shabby. Good luck with him!
I plan on running in a small stakes wk 13 mon. I think he is better at shorter than a mile and a quarter so I will try to keep him shorter than that. I'm really upset that I didn't nominate him earlier. For some reason I thought 12pm closing time was midnight and I was going to see how he did in the stake first. oh well I guess I'll see how he performs in his next race before deciding on paying the fee.

Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it.!
Jackson Muniz
Turf Router

Post by Jackson Muniz »

2nd last night. not too bad considering he wants shorter and steadied at the start. happy :)