Should I scratch?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Should I scratch?

Post by Andrea Bouwkamp »

I have a scary with good works running in a stake next week. I just checked the competition and while a day ago I felt he was competitive, now there are others in that are 2/10ths faster in works. I am scared now. Should I look elsewhere for an easier race? Does that much difference in work times mean that much?
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Re: Should I scratch?

Nevermind. I moved him to another race.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Something I am starting to realize, you can never win the big one if you are not in the race :)
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Works are not the be all end all, there are plenty of examples out there in all breeds that prove this.
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Very true. I might just re-enter him. He is a "duck" and the conditions are sloppy. I guess I just like to enter horses where they can win. :) But then again, you don't really know much about them until they race. The competition in that race is just scary good based on works even though my colt has really good works too.
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Andrea, do you have a link to the race in question?

Also, what Pete and Carole said. Though there are a lot of trainers who prefer to start their youngsters in maiden races regardless of what they think their ability may be. The thing is, if he doesn't do well, try not to be disappointed. Some do really well in their first start, some need one or two starts to show their potential. I've seen it happen so many times where a young horse with a lot of potential will run out of the money on his/her first start and than win by open lengths with a nice speed figure in their next start. Works only tell you so much, if you feel your guy fits in, no harm in giving him a shot! You might be pleasantly surprised! Good luck!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Here is the race. I entered him back in. http://www.simhorseracing.com/race.php?RaceID=488696
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Good luck with your boy, Andrea, looks like he belongs in there!! (For some reason I thought it was a week 7 race, even though I know they start racing until week 8.)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Troy Gallant I
Miler

Post by Troy Gallant I »

Wish you luck as well Andrea.

Matter of fact, hope you come in 2nd place in that race! :wink:
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Troy Gallant wrote:Wish you luck as well Andrea.

Matter of fact, hope you come in 2nd place in that race! :wink:
Hahaha! I will be overjoyed with an on-the-board placing myself but knowing my luck, my colt will finish dead last cause I am not part of the club here. :wink: So my fingers are crossed just to make a check. :P
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

What club?
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

The club of people that always have the best horses of course. It was actually kind of a joke(meaning I NEVER have the best of anything). (((I wish there was a "sarcasm" emote)))
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

I should've listened to my gut. He did not finish last but damn near. I will NEVER do this again. I should never enter my maidens in anything other than claimers.
I am really trying to be patient with this game but it's hard. I am already Intermediate and I SUCK. Just call me the "claimer queen".
That is the only thing keeping my barn alive and I will probably be set in that level for as long as I play this game. It is getting boring to me. :(
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Post by J K Rowling »

If we all got upset when our scaries finished off the board with a 79 there would be no one playing the game. We can't all get a first place trophy, kids.
"The way I look at it, I'm not meeting anyone better than Julie K... so what am I missing?"

The Sim: Where the horses are made up and cheating doesn't matter.
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

I know, I know. I am dutch and a tight-butt. lol. It would would have been smarter to enter him in a race where he could have 'at least' covered the shipping cost. I have learned. I gambled. I lost. LMAO. (and I was NOT expecting to win)
Next start is MSW or M claiming high dollar. I still think he will win eventually but I will not gamble like that again with any first time starter no matter what breed, etc.
Is a SF of 79 a good number for pacers? I know it varies with breeds, surfaces and such. Just curious is all.