My favorite SC Can of Worms

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

Should We Add More Steward's Cup Races?

Just add Dirt Miles for 2yos
8%
Just add Turf Routes for 2yos
4%
Add both new divisions
73%
You are a crazy person please just stop doing things
15%

Total votes: 124

The Steward
Hall of Fame

My favorite SC Can of Worms

Post by The Steward »

Should there be 2yo Dirt Miles?

I ask for this reason - while yes, numerous milers have won the SC Juvenile, it is of course becoming quite tough to do so. The Dirt Miler division has really been blossoming, especially with me pushing for better colts and bloodlines to breed to, and we give 2yo milers G1's week 13 and 14, and then.... nothing after that. Nothing Week 15 or 16.

But, if we're going to add 2yo Dirt Miles, do we add Turf Routes? Turf routers have shown that they can also win going a mile, but like the SC Juvenile, it is becoming tougher to do so.

People will pull the "Races get too diluted" argument, which I'm not sure is true, given that it is becoming tougher and tougher to win outside your division (while at the same time I continue to push for at least trying it, since so many dual distanced horses get overlooked). The other argument tends to be "Too hard for the Steward" well because we are talking Thursday races not Friday it's really not any more work - adding anything to Friday would be nixed though.

So instead of hashing out all the reasons for (Another race to aim for, a championship for those who don't have one, likely more people happy at the end of the year) and against (diluted races, more purse money into the game, because you hate the way the BC expanded in real life), just vote and I'll let the voice of the people be the voice!

ETA - I expect the amount of $$ taken out by new nominations would cancel out half of the purses.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Karl Smythe
Hall of Fame

Re: My favorite SC Can of Worms

Post by Karl Smythe »

Awesome idea!!
Is the glass half full? or half empty?
Josh Lamp I
Hall of Fame

Post by Josh Lamp I »

Not everyone needs a ribbon, no SC expansion.
Don't post anything, it might upset someone.
Bradley Davis
Eclipse Champion

Post by Bradley Davis »

I'm of the opinion that there are more than enough year-end options for juvenile turf routers. The Magellan Stakes, the top year-end stakes in North America, always draws a terrific field, and I think having a Steward's Cup race in addition would really diminish the quality of that race. In Europe there are several W15 and W16 graded stakes with great purses, and even they don't always draw full fields. Seems to me like a SC for juvenile turf routers would reduce a number of those races to 4 and 5-horse fields of questionable quality.

ETA: A year end option for TR juvenile fillies in the States, perhaps with a purse approaching that of the Magellan, would be a nice addition.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

Europe has some super nice 2yo turf routes week 16. Promote those, that's where the best turf racing is anyway.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

If you do add them, will the Juvi's get changed to 1 1/8th?
Abe Froman
Hall of Fame

Post by Abe Froman »

Since the can is open, chaser fillies don't have their own race, they gotta try against the boys, putting them at a disadvantage.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Abe Froman wrote:Since the can is open, chaser fillies don't have their own race, they gotta try against the boys, putting them at a disadvantage.
I'm willing to listen to this!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Juvenile Turf Route SC races would serve as excellent preps for the Bunbury and Bunburette. I approve!
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I voted.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I agree with Bradley Davis. I'd like to see a filly version of the Magellan, but I don't really see a need to have a Steward's Cup diluting the Magellan, especially with the other graded stakes options in Australia and Europe that week. I did vote for dirt mile races.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

I'd rather see the Magellan killed and and new SC Turf races added than not adding the race. Turf routing is a major division and deserves to be represented on SC Thursday.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

The Magellan's been around forever, and part of the Turf Triple (that Sydney actually managed to win). Based on the voting, you're getting the Stewards' Cup races for turf routers by a wide margin, but I do believe this will effectively gut the Magellan, which is a real shame.

At least the Sprint Championship series has a richer purse than the Steward's Cup, which is why it continues to do well against the juvenile sprints. The Magellan doesn't have that going for it.
Chani Ruzzo
Hall of Fame

Post by Chani Ruzzo »

As chasers fields are getting stronger and tougher.. no more clear winners, I'd also love a filly/mare SC race.. would force me to breed and work harder on both sexes equally lol
Gryphon Flight Stud, Home of Stallions: What Would You Do, Heartbrake Hotel, Remembered Soldier, Courageous Angel, Cowboy Builder, Bird Jumper, Touchdown Raiders, Dubai Awesmoness, Sikorsky, Faith in the Child, and Touchdown Dancer.
Bradley Davis
Eclipse Champion

Post by Bradley Davis »

Laura Ferguson wrote:The Magellan's been around forever, and part of the Turf Triple (that Sydney actually managed to win). Based on the voting, you're getting the Stewards' Cup races for turf routers by a wide margin, but I do believe this will effectively gut the Magellan, which is a real shame.

At least the Sprint Championship series has a richer purse than the Steward's Cup, which is why it continues to do well against the juvenile sprints. The Magellan doesn't have that going for it.
I'm with Laura on this. If these turf races make the calendar, I'd be in favour of them not having full million dollar purses. The Magellan is one of a handful of races I've long wanted to win, and while adding SC races for juvy turf routers would certainly make that goal easier for me, that isn't really the point. I just don't see why a Steward's Cup race has to be the be-all and end-all for every single division and age group.