My favorite SC Can of Worms

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

Should We Add More Steward's Cup Races?

Just add Dirt Miles for 2yos
8%
Just add Turf Routes for 2yos
4%
Add both new divisions
73%
You are a crazy person please just stop doing things
15%

Total votes: 124

The Steward
Hall of Fame

Re: My favorite SC Can of Worms

Post by The Steward »

Bradley Davis wrote:
Laura Ferguson wrote:The Magellan's been around forever, and part of the Turf Triple (that Sydney actually managed to win). Based on the voting, you're getting the Stewards' Cup races for turf routers by a wide margin, but I do believe this will effectively gut the Magellan, which is a real shame.

At least the Sprint Championship series has a richer purse than the Steward's Cup, which is why it continues to do well against the juvenile sprints. The Magellan doesn't have that going for it.
I'm with Laura on this. If these turf races make the calendar, I'd be in favour of them not having full million dollar purses. The Magellan is one of a handful of races I've long wanted to win, and while adding SC races for juvy turf routers would certainly make that goal easier for me, that isn't really the point. I just don't see why a Steward's Cup race has to be the be-all and end-all for every single division and age group.
I would definitely not be giving them full million purses, and likely the Magellan would get a bump - kind of like the Sprint Champs did when the SC came to fruition.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Tyler Anthony
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Tyler Anthony »

I would like to see a few races for new/junior only.
If winning isn't everything, then why do we keep score? - Vince Lombardi
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

I don't understand setting the purses lower than every other Steward's Cup race. Should there be an asterik on the trophy as well? If they're going to be added they should be given the same treatment as every other race on the Thursday card.
Bradley Davis
Eclipse Champion

Post by Bradley Davis »

Danny Derby wrote:I don't understand setting the purses lower than every other Steward's Cup race. Should there be an asterik on the trophy as well? If they're going to be added they should be given the same treatment as every other race on the Thursday card.
Too lazy to check - but aren't the turf dash purses a half million apiece?

ETA: I checked, and they aren't. All a million dollars, carry on then. :D
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Danny Derby wrote:I don't understand setting the purses lower than every other Steward's Cup race. Should there be an asterik on the trophy as well? If they're going to be added they should be given the same treatment as every other race on the Thursday card.
Because just as the real new BC additions had to earn their g1 status, the races have to earn their purses. They start at $500k and move up when they get consistently good fields. When they do, they'll get bumped like their predecessors.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

It's not like the real life BC where there was never any real chance for some of those races getting supported (Marathon, I'm looking at you!). We all know that these races will competitive from Day 1.
LaDonna King
Eclipse Champion

Post by LaDonna King »

So there's the Magellan and some other races in Europe. So???. There's races of all sorts week 16, and week 15, 14, 13, etc. Dirt, turf, mile, sprint, route, marathon. There are very limited races on turf for routing 2 yr olds, and many are 1 1/16. I am all for adding whatever is needed. I would love to see some 1 1/8- 1 1/4 races weeks 14-16. Offering an SC race for 2 yr old turf routers won't dilute the Magellan field. People who don't plan on entering the Magellan aren't going to enter if they don't want to. I have no intentions of ever entering a filly in the magellan. So there's races in Europe. Maybe I don't want to keep every single turf router I have in Europe. For those who vote no, just don't enter the SC if you don't want to.
Brandon McNulty
Classic Contender

Post by Brandon McNulty »

For those who vote no... Feel free to enter any SC race you want and to continue having an opinion on the development of the SIM, especially when you are asked for it.

Best wishes,

Brandon
Bradley Davis
Eclipse Champion

Post by Bradley Davis »

LaDonna King wrote:So there's the Magellan and some other races in Europe. So???. There's races of all sorts week 16, and week 15, 14, 13, etc. Dirt, turf, mile, sprint, route, marathon. There are very limited races on turf for routing 2 yr olds, and many are 1 1/16. I am all for adding whatever is needed. I would love to see some 1 1/8- 1 1/4 races weeks 14-16. Offering an SC race for 2 yr old turf routers won't dilute the Magellan field. People who don't plan on entering the Magellan aren't going to enter if they don't want to. I have no intentions of ever entering a filly in the magellan. So there's races in Europe. Maybe I don't want to keep every single turf router I have in Europe. For those who vote no, just don't enter the SC if you don't want to.
Not really related to the SC, but I've always been under the impression that most 2 yo turf routers, even the ones that 'want' to run longer, can't really handle even 1 1/8 at that age. I think there is only one 10 furlong race for 2 year olds in the SIM for a reason. I could be wrong about that, though. My impression has always been that people are usually too eager to stretch their 2 year olds out.
Stephen Cleveland
Sprinter

Post by Stephen Cleveland »

If I ever had a horse good enough to Run in a Stewards Cup Race I would at least like the chance to run them in one of the races mentioned. I would vote to add both races to the Game.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

If the Magellan gets a bump in purse, that eliminates my concern.
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

I agree with Josh, but not strongly enough to spend any energy on this when we're clearly in the minority.

On a related note, if TPTB need to expand G1/Championship level races, I'd rather see some work done on the Los Campeones card. That would have seemed a good place to add juvy turf routing championships, if that is needed.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Friedrich Barbarossa
Hall of Fame

Post by Friedrich Barbarossa »

Firmly in the Heinrich/Lamp camp on this one, both in terms of the argument and in terms of being in the minority.

Maybe it's just the contrarian in me but I always liked that the Magellan was the de-facto SC juvy turf route, and I'd prefer it stay that way.

How many SC races does this game need, exactly? Aren't there some 3-400 SC races on the card already?

I'd prefer the variety of having more top level races that don't have an "SC" next to them. If more juvy turf routing dollars are going to get thrown around I think it should be done in Europe. I'd just vote to bump the London Times or the Shatterproof Criterium up to the Magellan's purse level and call it a day. Maybe bump the Hail The Queen a bit as well...
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Almost every division has an SC event, so it's kind of weird to exclude juvenile dirt milers and turf routers only. Of course, I also agree with the opinion that there are already too many SC races and that it'd be nice to see more G1's in place of certain SC races. But I don't really care either way.
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Josh Lamp I
Hall of Fame

Post by Josh Lamp I »

Brandon McNulty wrote:For those who vote no... Feel free to enter any SC race you want and to continue having an opinion on the development of the SIM, especially when you are asked for it.

Best wishes,

Brandon
Don't post anything, it might upset someone.