My favorite SC Can of Worms

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

Should We Add More Steward's Cup Races?

Just add Dirt Miles for 2yos
8%
Just add Turf Routes for 2yos
4%
Add both new divisions
73%
You are a crazy person please just stop doing things
15%

Total votes: 124

Josh Lamp I
Hall of Fame

Re: My favorite SC Can of Worms

Post by Josh Lamp I »

Turf routing already has stupid purses and multiple avenues for those purses. So juveniles can't get rich quick? Big deal, they have years to pad their earnings.
Don't post anything, it might upset someone.
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Brandon McNulty wrote:For those who vote no... Feel free to enter any SC race you want and to continue having an opinion on the development of the SIM, especially when you are asked for it.

Best wishes,

Brandon
I think we are already hopelessly over saturated with SC races and only rarely enter them. Does that make me especially hypocritical?
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Brandon McNulty
Classic Contender

Post by Brandon McNulty »

Given your opinion on SC races, Slots, I suggest a self-imposed ban from ever entering one of the races again. (I kid).

I can go either way on this. I agree that there are too many of these races, and that it could have the practical effect of lessening some of the other year-end fields for a time. I also tend to think that from an interest-level standpoint SC week tends to be one of the more involved/exciting weeks in the SIM. I'm all for people having more opportunities to be a part of that. I think it is part of the reason anyone plays the game.

All I was trying to get at was you can be on either side of this opinion and still participate or not participate regardless of how you feel about it.

One Love,

Brandon
Kaine Saracen
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kaine Saracen »

In the US there are 11 graded races for 2yo's. 9 are 1 1/16F, 2 are 1 1/8F. Of those, 8 are G3 and 3 are G1. Highest purse $750,000

Europe has 10, of which four are 1 1/16, four are 1 1/8, one at 1 3/16 and one at 1 ¼. Four are G3, four G2 and two G1. Highest purse $200,000

Australia has just 2, one at 1 1/6 and one at 1 ¼. They are a G3 and G2. Highest purse $150,000

Japan has four races, all 1 1/8, two G2 and two G1, highest purse $200,000.

now that is the obvious information.

All four “regions” have their week 16 2yo routes, although in some cases a route is a generous term since 1 1/8 is some what short of a true route (1 1/2 miles is a route, right?). Anyway, while I understand that the game is American owned and the majority of players may be American, I think the better solution is not to add another over rated SC race (yes, I think the Breeder's Cup is over rated), but to actually increase the validity of the current races.

As an Australian I would like to see the Aussie circuit beefed up but from a reality perspective, it is better to improve on the European turf circuit. There are the prep races at 2 and 3yo to prep for the US TC races, make the the European turf triple crown just as valid with priority lead up races to that as well.

Increase the status of the Shatterproof Grand Criterium and the Prix Banner and give them a purse to match instead of adding a SC race, that way the best 2yo turf routers are in Europe and prepping for the Euro TC.

As for the dirt mile... no comment, turf routes are my preference.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Interestingly enough, I started toying with the Euro 2yo schedule yesterday.

I went ahead and added 5 races - the SC Futurity and Debutante (2yo milers), the SC Bunbury and Bunburette (thanks for letting me steal the names, because I didn't want to go with Juvenile Turf Route, it was boring), and also the Female Steeplechase (I couldn't come with a good name for it, I think it's the Distaff Chase right now, anyone got better ideas!?) We'll see how they go for a bit.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Chris Everett
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris Everett »

SC Distaff Ladies Kamakazi? :D No, I kid but SC Ladies Hurdle?