Gallops

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Re: Gallops

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Ashley Hunt wrote:
Nena Olson wrote:Well there goes my scaries... hahaha
Mine too. Anyone ever have a wow that won a SC before? I might now lol!!
If this is a serious question, yes - a number of them. Ice and Fire won the SC Classic and was second in the Derby, Desert World Cup, and Midsummer Derby and was a Wow every time he galloped. In a similar vein, Manhattan won the SC Juvenile and was a Wow every time he galloped. Clash Of Kings was a Wow and won the Juvie.

I suspect that in many cases, what happens is a horse that was a Wow becomes a scary later in a career but isn't re-galloped, but I'm not sure. Either way, those three wow-galloping yearlings were far more successful than many (most?) of my Scary yearlings, with their achievements in recent years matched or eclipsed in my own barn (at least in the case of Manhattan and Ice and Fire ... Clash Of Kings wasn't quite that caliber of horse after his juvie year) by maybe only Doc Halladay (who was a scary).

Either way, if this helps better identify what horses truly are the cream of the crop, a change is a good thing. People were going to complain about the number of scaries/wows they had anyway, but at least now the single data point we'll get is marginally more useful. Whether you place a ton of stock in it, or very little stock in it, there's very little reason that anyone should believe being somewhat more informed as to the relative quality of your horse is a bad thing.
Ashley Hunt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Hunt »

Eric Nalbone wrote:
Ashley Hunt wrote:
If this is a serious question, yes - a number of them. Ice and Fire won the SC Classic and was second in the Derby, Desert World Cup, and Midsummer Derby and was a Wow every time he galloped. In a similar vein, Manhattan won the SC Juvenile and was a Wow every time he galloped. Clash Of Kings was a Wow and won the Juvie.

I suspect that in many cases, what happens is a horse that was a Wow becomes a scary later in a career but isn't re-galloped, but I'm not sure. Either way, those three wow-galloping yearlings were far more successful than many (most?) of my Scary yearlings, with their achievements in recent years matched or eclipsed in my own barn (at least in the case of Manhattan and Ice and Fire ... Clash Of Kings wasn't quite that caliber of horse after his juvie year) by maybe only Doc Halladay (who was a scary).

Either way, if this helps better identify what horses truly are the cream of the crop, a change is a good thing. People were going to complain about the number of scaries/wows they had anyway, but at least now the single data point we'll get is marginally more useful. Whether you place a ton of stock in it, or very little stock in it, there's very little reason that anyone should believe being somewhat more informed as to the relative quality of your horse is a bad thing.
I agree change is good! I didn't know for sure or not, I assumed there where. Hopefully my girl will stay a scary!
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Your filly will still be really fast. It won't make her slower :)
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Ashley Hunt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Hunt »

I didn't think she would, but you never know! Lol
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

I think the point is that it doesn't matter if your horse is fast if all the other horses are faster. So while times may get better, they just become less impressive because lots of horses are running better times. So the gallop comment as Eric says become a bit more accurate by grading on a steeper curve. So if you get a wings, the horse might win a race, if you get a wow, it will be less sad, but it will also mean you will get a slight reduction of the better comments, but probably more realistic in terms of the chances those gallops represent. Or something like that.

On a separate note, I assume the stakes schedule will add some off track races (or change them) at some point unless the weather will be fast on all of them.
Jon Snyder
Classic Contender

Post by Jon Snyder »

So is today one of the days where gallop changes can occur for other non yearling horses, both positive and negative?
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Jon Snyder wrote:So is today one of the days where gallop changes can occur for other non yearling horses, both positive and negative?
Correct!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Art Kage wrote:I think the point is that it doesn't matter if your horse is fast if all the other horses are faster. So while times may get better, they just become less impressive because lots of horses are running better times. So the gallop comment as Eric says become a bit more accurate by grading on a steeper curve. So if you get a wings, the horse might win a race, if you get a wow, it will be less sad, but it will also mean you will get a slight reduction of the better comments, but probably more realistic in terms of the chances those gallops represent. Or something like that.

On a separate note, I assume the stakes schedule will add some off track races (or change them) at some point unless the weather will be fast on all of them.
Weather is always listed as "fast" until it generates 2 weeks from race day.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Mike Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Mike Eaton »

my only scary 2yr old is now a stakes sad...
NEVER CAUTIOUS

Every filly’s fantasy,
bred to go long but quick to plz

18 : 10 - 1 - 0 LTE $2,227,500
Baltimore Crown (G1)
Arcadia Classic (G1)
Seek Thrills Handicap (G1)
Arcadia Classic (G1)
Brakebills Stakes (G2)
Garden State (G2)
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

Ashley Hunt wrote:
Even better, how about a wings that won a SC? I never regalloped her after her yearling year and she broke her maiden in her 4th start.

2012-11-17 Renamed Horse 1337303924 to A Harp for Hannah
2012-10-28 Galloped
2012-10-28 Trainer: 'Horse 1337303924' galloped around the track as if she had wings! A very fluid and easy gallop, she caught the eye of all the other trainers!
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Laura Cameron wrote:
Lori Hamill wrote: :(
Nothing really changes - your horse is just as good as it ever was, only the terms used to quantify that goodness have changed.
I know, and really, I totally support this change. I think it was seriously needed. But.......still makes me a little sad to re-gallop my horses. I think it will be better overall for the SIM though.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Alysse Peverell
Hall of Fame

Post by Alysse Peverell »

Leigh Ann Anderson wrote:
Ashley Hunt wrote:
Even better, how about a wings that won a SC? I never regalloped her after her yearling year and she broke her maiden in her 4th start.

2012-10-28 Galloped
2012-10-28 Trainer: 'Horse 1337303924' galloped around the track as if she had wings! A very fluid and easy gallop, she caught the eye of all the other trainers!
Madonna was also a Steward's Cup winner who galloped wings.
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

Ashley Hunt wrote:

2012-10-28 Galloped
I have Neverinthemiddle, wings galloper and a 2x Steward's Cup winner and Crossword Puzzle, who was a wow.
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Emily Klein
Eclipse Champion

Post by Emily Klein »

Ashley Hunt wrote:

2012-10-28 Galloped
My pacer Igetpaid galloped wings as a yearling and won the Steward's Cup Open Pace as a 5yo. I only galloped him once though.
http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=128298
Seagrass Farm
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

ok so the scary yearling is a 2yo wow and the 2 yo scary is now a 3yo wow, so Im back to never having a scary, though my 3yo wow who WAS a scary came in 3rd in the SC as a 2yo. and none of the 92 yearlings is a scary, just 15 or so wows, 45 wingdings and the rest sticky factory material. Its feeling backwardsy. But good to know.

But with all the galloping I missed something one wow actually became scary.. 6 yr old gelding. the one piece of GOOD news. my new one bred scary.. :lol:
Last edited by Art K Stables 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.