Break downs

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

This is an excerpt from a recent post by the Steward in the racing forum:

"You have to just think of it individually, saying my horse just ran hard, he's probably tired, being tired/rested gets reset on race days, so how many race days need to go by before he is untired/back to normal? It's different for every horse. When the super good 3 year olds hit the Preakness, just a few days after the Derby, he is tired - but so are all the horses he is running against. What about newcomers to the race, you ask? Think of it this way. If Seaside Retreat skipped the Derby and ran in the Preakness against Barbaro and Brother Derek, they would still win because even though they are tired, they are just THAT much better than him. But if Bluegrass Cat skipped the Derby and ran against tired Barbaro in the Preakness, Barbaro's connections better start getting nervous and hoping their horse is special. Get it? But Barbaro, Bro Derek, Jazil, etc are all equally tired. In theory, in the SIM. This same theory can be applied to the Can Triple Crown, 2yo Turf Triple, etc.

I can't argue with people running every other week, because at least they've had one week of reset time. The people who run with 2 weeks of rest just have one extra week of rest, and one less week of wear and tear.

In short, when a horse runs, it has a tired meter that goes up, and also a breakdown meter that goes up. If it reaches a certain point, which is different on every single horse depending on breeding, then you lose the horse, end of story. It's your job to figure out how much your horse can take. 2yos have lower tolerance than everyone else, that should be obvious. Also, the more you run, the more time it takes for the wear and tear to heal.

But this doesn't mean you can't do it. If you won the Californian this week and want to run back in the Gold Cup, you totally can. You will just have a hard time getting the horse back to peak form because it will require more weeks of rest."

And if they break down and do not actually die, then yes, you can still breed them.
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

If you want to, you can breed her right now. Her injury went away when she was retired.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Amberlynn Cooper
Two Year Old

Post by Amberlynn Cooper »

do they only break down after a race?
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

They can break down during or after a race, and also "in training" (this is random and the computer just pegs random horses for people to experience how hard training horses can be).
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Amberlynn Cooper
Two Year Old

Post by Amberlynn Cooper »

so it could happen any time?
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

It could happen any time, anywhere... but don't fret too much. It doesn't happen more than once per player per year, unless you are purposefully running 2yos every week all year or something.
Rowdy Yates
Two Year Old

Post by Rowdy Yates »

"Knock on wood" ...I have not had a horse break down yet...yet. So I am green with what you can do with that horse after it does.

I am sure it depends on the injury but:

Whats the healing time per SIM rules?
Can the horse be sold?
IF it is on the auction block will anyone know that it had a breakdown?
How are you alerted to a horse breaking down?
How can you research to see if a horse you have or intend to buy has had a break down?

Just a few questions...

Rowdy
Becca Banner
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Becca Banner »

If I remember correctly.. I think when the first crop I bred ran, one of the fillies I bred had an accident.. I can't remember which filly it was but I do remember she was okay to race afterwards. Maybe didn't win again, but ran.. I think it was Sunday's Heart.. any ways, that was my expierence with breaking down. I had a scare when My Immortal stumbled from the gate a couple weeks ago.
At Stud:

Yamikishi - Winner of multiple stakes, including Steward's Cup Sprint. Sire of stakes winning sprinters, like Heroism. Stands for $10,000.

Journey's End Farms : Board $15/week
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Rowdy wrote: "Whats the healing time per SIM rules?
Can the horse be sold?
IF it is on the auction block will anyone know that it had a breakdown?
How are you alerted to a horse breaking down?
How can you research to see if a horse you have or intend to buy has had a break down?
Healing time varies. If the horse has to be retired then they are kind of insta-healed, as in you can breed them right away. If they are to race again you will be told when you can race again.

You are alerted by a note in your owner section that will tell you the type of injury and how long the horse will be out.

You can't research to see if a horse has broken down other than its running lines, but that's a good idea and I will now think of a way to make sure buyers know.

Now you won't get a lemon.......