Drought Over!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Erica Olson
Listed Stakes Winner

Re: Drought Over!

Post by Erica Olson »

Here is some of what I posted on Facebook about how much this meant to me:

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Even when he was a few lengths away from the finish, I said (while starting to cry), "I don't believe it yet!" I've screamed and cried so many times when it looked like there was about to be a Triple Crown winner, I couldn't take it in when it was actually happening. Some people probably think I'm weird for caring so much, but the Triple Crown is infinitely important and precious to me. I watched my first Derby in 1993 on a grainy, flickering screen because we were in the process of moving into our house in Moore, Idaho, and my dad had just gotten the TV working so that I could see the race. I sat on the floor because the living room didn't have any furniture yet. So many times since then I've pictured what it would be like to see a horse coming down the stretch and winning the Triple Crown, and I've gotten tears just imagining it. For years I took it too seriously and watched with more agony than pleasure because I was so afraid that someday I would lose that childlike joy and it wouldn't mean as much to me. Therefore it had to happen RIGHT NOW. I caused myself so much misery with that line of thinking. But last year with California Chrome, I realized that it will be okay. I will ALWAYS care that much. And now that it's finally happened, it means even more to me than it ever could have when I was a kid - partly because of the build-up from the years of waiting and close misses, partly because for the past year I've struggled with constant, terrible headaches each and every day, along with debilitating anxiety. It's awesome that I can live through that and still experience such elation when a dream becomes real. After the race, I told my grandma, "I've been waiting for this since I was 7 years old." And she said: "Maybe you were waiting for him."

Ever since Silver Charm in 1997 I have put an effigy of each Derby/Preakness winner beside my tv as my "offering" of devotion and hope for a Triple Crown. Today it finally worked:

Over an hour and a half later and I'm still shaking and feel like I'm going to throw up. This officially tops the most excited I've ever been after a horse race (previous: watching Big Brown's 2008 Preakness in person, shaking for half an hour later while babbling incoherently on the phone to my parents and getting on the train going toward D.C. instead of toward Philadelphia).
Hall of Fame Pacer!
Highland Billy

Trotter Stud:
Viceroy - 5K
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Post by Andrea Bouwkamp »

I am so happy for those fans that are too young to have witnessed the feats of the last 3 Triple Crown winners. Heck, even I was so young when Secretariat won that I didn't see that feat on TV.(I was only 5). Seattle Slew is who brought me into the game. Hopefully AP will bring many others in like me. The major sad thing is that he will not race next year. That was a luxury that people who saw Slew and Affirmed race had compared to now. For that part, I am sad. However, today was glorious!!!!!
D.m Henderson
Two Year Old

Post by D.m Henderson »

Wow what an awesome horse !! Love racing :D
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Best.Day.EVER!

“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Amy Pond
Derby Contender

Post by Amy Pond »

American Pharaoh made it look easy! His victory feels a bit like a belated birthday present since the Kentucky Derby usually ends up running on/close to my birthday. This is the first time I've seen a Triple Crown winner.
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

This horse is amazing. He went out there and just had a blast. I can't wait to welcome him (and Smokey the wonder pony) back to Churchill tomorrow.
Chris Everett
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris Everett »

Silly question, but where did the gate go after they got released?
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Chris Everett wrote:Silly question, but where did the gate go after they got released?
I thought they pulled it into the infield ?

------
Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Johanna Stk
Eclipse Champion

Post by Johanna Stk »

Amazing!
Skam den som ger sig!
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Chris Everett wrote:Silly question, but where did the gate go after they got released?
Think of the gate as an 18 wheeler with it's own cab/truck that pulls the gate/trailer off to the side right after the break.
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Post by Keith Maidlow »

I got to see the three previous Triple Crown winning races (on television) and all three horses in person at stud (even a have a pull of Secretariat's tale the groom gave me). I really never wanted to see another TC winner because I thought it would diminish the greatness of the three I saw. But as soon as the race was over I talked with my 26 year old daughter on the phone and her excitement outweighed my "disappointment". Her comment that she got to see something wonderful she could tell her kids about (the same wonderful I got to tell her about) slapped away my selfish stupidity and reminded me that a great horse is a great horse is a great horse. He won all the races with style and powerful conviction. His winning time was actually the 6th best time for the Belmont (2nd for a TC winner) but I think he ran the second 3/4 mile as quickly as the first which was impress.

Anyhow, I now have 4 TC winners I can talk about.
*Sugar Bottom Stable
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Melissa Mae wrote:This horse is amazing. He went out there and just had a blast. I can't wait to welcome him (and Smokey the wonder pony) back to Churchill tomorrow.
Smokey the wonder pony is a wonder! Seriously every time they rode him up and down the track the crowd was screaming his name.....okay maybe that was me but I'm sure I heard a couple other people! lol
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Louise Bayou wrote:Smokey the wonder pony is a wonder! Seriously every time they rode him up and down the track the crowd was screaming his name.....okay maybe that was me but I'm sure I heard a couple other people! lol
This truly made me laugh :lol:

It is amazing how we will all remember this occassion...where we were and who we were with. As this is my 4th Triple Crown, like Keith said, it was just as exciting as the first. I remember thinking it felt the same going into the race. Being such a predominant favorite, I was not alone in my thinking.

Watching the race unfold, I saw a master at work. Victor Espinoza rode a perfect race and you only need to replay the last half mile to see what I mean. Coming around the turn horses naturally drift, but he dropped him onto the rail, causing a charging Frosted to check. While not abruptly, enough for Frosted to loose his momentum. Then straightening out down the lane Victor gave AP a couple strides to collect himself....Frosted was on his outside by now and drew within a length....and ZOOM.......HISTORY IS MADE!!!!

Pretty darn beautiful!
Lisa Strummer
Hall of Fame

Post by Lisa Strummer »

Louise Bayou wrote:
Melissa Mae wrote:This horse is amazing. He went out there and just had a blast. I can't wait to welcome him (and Smokey the wonder pony) back to Churchill tomorrow.
Smokey the wonder pony is a wonder! Seriously every time they rode him up and down the track the crowd was screaming his name.....okay maybe that was me but I'm sure I heard a couple other people! lol

Smokey now has Twitter account!
That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.-Bryan Doolittle
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Nick Gilmore wrote:
Louise Bayou wrote:Smokey the wonder pony is a wonder! Seriously every time they rode him up and down the track the crowd was screaming his name.....okay maybe that was me but I'm sure I heard a couple other people! lol
This truly made me laugh :lol:

It is amazing how we will all remember this occassion...where we were and who we were with. As this is my 4th Triple Crown, like Keith said, it was just as exciting as the first. I remember thinking it felt the same going into the race. Being such a predominant favorite, I was not alone in my thinking.

Watching the race unfold, I saw a master at work. Victor Espinoza rode a perfect race and you only need to replay the last half mile to see what I mean. Coming around the turn horses naturally drift, but he dropped him onto the rail, causing a charging Frosted to check. While not abruptly, enough for Frosted to loose his momentum. Then straightening out down the lane Victor gave AP a couple strides to collect himself....Frosted was on his outside by now and drew within a length....and ZOOM.......HISTORY IS MADE!!!!

Pretty darn beautiful!
Victor has been known to make some pinhead moves but he rode the perfect race yesterday. I just kept saying "Not yet Victor,not yet".lol AP just has such a high cruising speed that its almost not fair. He was worked up in the post parade a bit but he seems to be a totally push button horse. His Preakness showed that in how he just totally switched off for Victor in the middle of the race. I think that is one of the things that has helped him so much.