Imperative

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Imperative

Post by Erin Sanderson »

16.3hh ch. c. Gibraltar - Vivid Visions, by Feat
Y42 European Champion Three-Year-Old
20 Starts; 13 Win, 2 Place, 4 Show
$3,730,000

WON

Desert Turf Classic - G1 (1 1/2m, T, defeating Ianto, Electric Blue, King of Monsters, Kaiju, Long Slow Kiss, Nyan Cat, etc.) - 99 SF

Steward's Cup Bunbury - G1 (1 1/8m, T, defeating Tornadoes, Coach, King of Monsters, etc.) - 84 SF

London Derby - G1 (1 1/2m, T, defeating Timing, King of Monsters, Coach, Abandon Ship, Master in Hiding, Fiaresu) - 93 SF

Irish Derby - G1 (1 1/2m, T, defeating Abandon Ship, Coach, etc.) - 90 SF

Lexington Bunbury - G1 (1 1/8m, T, defeating Timing, Drogon, etc.) - 84 SF

Danish Jockey Club Stakes - G2 (1 3/8m, T, defeating House of Cards, My Believer, etc.) - 87 SF

Danish Jockey Club Stakes - G2 (1 3/8m, T, defeating Return to Acapulco, Never Tell, etc.) - 82 SF

German International Cup - G3 (1 1/4m, T, defeating After Earth, Daine, etc.) - 90 SF

German International Cup - G3 (1 1/4m, T, defeating Change for Good, My True Story, etc.) - 81 SF

Canterbury Stakes - G3 (1 1/4m, T, defeating Reluctant Hero, Neron, etc.) - 85 SF

Excaper Stakes - G3 (1 1/16m, T, defeating Drogon, Hear Me Preach, etc.) - 96 SF

Prix Napoleon - G3 (1 1/8m, T, defeating Tornadoes, Investing in Stars, etc.) - 97 SF

Maiden Special Weight (1 1/16m, T, defeating Forgot, Shoot the Sheriff, etc.) - 97 SF

2ND

Arc De Triomphe - G1 (1 1/2m, T, to Kingston, defeating Electric Blue, Ianto, Muto, Burning Up a Sun) - 93 SF

King George Stakes - G1 (1 1/4m, T, to Electric Blue, defeating Timing, etc.) - 90 SF

3RD

Arc De Triomphe - G1 (1 1/2m, T, to Joseph, Savage, defeating Burning Up a Sun, Return to Acapulco, O Captain, John, See Around Corners, The Lord of Time, Secret of the Fox, D's Breeder's Cup) - 82 SF

Steward's Cup Turf - G1 (1 1/2m, T, to Dwight Eisenhower, Reddington, defeating King of Monsters, Return to Acapulco, Forgot, Kingston, Ominous Tones, Burning Up a Sun, etc.) - 87 SF

Louisville Bunbury - G1 (1 1/4m, T, to Drogon, Timing, defeating King of Monsters, Tornadoes, Free Once More, etc.) - 89 SF

King George Stakes - G1 (1 1/4m, T, to King of Monsters, Reddington, defeating Timing, Bow Ties Are Cool, etc.) - 89 SF

BIO

(Really, how this horse didn't have one of these threads the second he galloped "very special" as a yearling, then "freak" as a two-year-old, I have no idea. He remains my only Thoroughbred freak.)

Imperative was maybe not destined for greatness, at least on paper, when he was born. By my own stellar homebred sire Gibraltar, now in his twilight years in the breeding shed, there was hope that his heir apparent was waiting in the wings. I never expected something quite like "Imp", however. His dam was purchased for $50,000 after five relatively unsuccessful foals. Her oldest, by Trafalgar, was graded stakes placed, and her second, by Alexei, won five races, but the rest were named things such as "I'm Slow" or not named at all. Her first breeding under her new ownership was to Gibraltar, and produced a big, flashy chestnut colt who did not resemble his sire at all.

"Imp", even though it at first appears an uninspired nickname, actually fits the big, red colt. He can be extremely flighty in noisy paddocks and barn areas (hence the ear muffs), and generally always the presence of one of the barn's solid old ponies. In the barn, he's ornery, snagging anything he can reach with his teeth, be it attached to a person or not. On the track, however, Imp puts all of that nervous, wicked energy into running. His first works as a yearling were blazing fast, landing him on the leaderboard of the fastest all time, and he continued that trend all the way up until a couple of weeks before his first race.

Imp took his debut by a widening 3 3/4 lengths under Hannah Cochran, just before the hire of new jockey Daniel Holcomb. Dan received the mount on Imperative in the colt's next outing, and they won a hard fought graded stakes bow over the classy pair of Tornadoes and Investing in Stars. A trip across the Atlantic took Imp to his first Steward's Cup event, and his first win there, where he again defeated Tornadoes, this time by 2 3/4 lengths.

So far this season, Imp had to fight from the rail (seriously, this colt has the worst luck with the draw - the furthest outside in 4 starts he's been is in the 4 hole and that was in a 10 horse field) to take his sophomore debut in the Excaper Stakes, defeating another very highly regarded colt in Drogon.

The sky is the limit, and this colt's career is just getting started.
Last edited by Erin Sanderson 7 years ago, edited 9 times in total.
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Re: Imperative

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Brilliant headshot, terrific speed figures....what's not to like! I'll keep an eye out for this fellow!

Best of luck with him Erin!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Was absolutely TERRIFIED of Timing in the Lexington Bunbury, but my boy just keeps acing every test! Easy win in Lexington, and now on to Louisville!

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Well, so much for acing every test.

Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Only missed by two short necks - he just needed a longer neck last night.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Last night in chat, I pointed out that Imperative's headshot is among my top favorites in the Sim, he's gorgeous! I was looking at Forgot's race record last week and went back to his first time on the track....and then realized who it was that beat him. So far - he hasn't been beaten since then. He went from wings as a 2 year old to stakes as a 3 year old, his full sibling Forethought was never better than a stakes in her gallops and went on to great things, so I'm not too upset about him not being a freak...hoping he'll follow in his 1/2 sister's hoofsteps.

Btw, Forgave, the dam of Forgot - I bred her to Gibraltar in his 3rd season at stud, and got this decent little filly: Forgiven I had plans of sending Forgave back to him in her 15th year, but she unfortunately died at age 14 while foaling....which was a shame, as her dam Foremost made it to age 17 and delivered her last foal.

I've been running Forgot pretty conservatively...stepping up in races after his 2nd place finish in his first start (Imperative beat him by 3 1/2 lengths that day). He's also a mudder...so that kind of bums me out - I know he'll probably do ok on dry but I also know it won't ever be his 'best'. Still, I'm hoping he's going to take after his big sis, Forethought and if that turns out to be the case, I hope to see him in other races with Imperative.

Forgot told me that Imperative really needs a racing buddy...one who can beat him from time to time to keep him humble :wink: and he hopes he can be the one to do it.

Congrats on getting such a great horse and also I love it that he's from your sire Gibraltar, who I know you loved racing.

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

Switching back to the subject of the thread...

Blame it on the jockey. A lame week 6 can lead to a superamazing week 14 (arc) or 16 (SC)
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.
Robert Forston
Miler

Post by Robert Forston »

Scott Eiland wrote:Switching back to the subject of the thread...

Blame it on the jockey. A lame week 6 can lead to a superamazing week 14 (arc) or 16 (SC)
Scott, sticking on topic isn't cool, come on man promote your own horses on Erin's thread.... smh

Erin in all seriousness congrats he looks like a monster for you.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I'd be super chuffed with that 3rd place to be honest! He ran great and wasn't beaten far at all! I agree with Scott, think this one would be good for the Arc! Hope the rest of his season goes well!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Oh, he ran a great race, I'm just surprised he wound up getting beaten by two horses he absolutely trounced in his last start. Maybe going 16-2-4-6 was a bit much in hindsight, but I didn't realize there was a nice prep for the big Bunbury in week 3, and didn't want to wait to run him in week 4. That was all my fault. He's currently chilling in Europe and will be running either week 9 or week 10.

Everyone who thinks he'd be good for the Arc: that is the plan! It will likely be his final race of the season, because I'm thinking I'll send him straight to the desert afterwards. The Steward's Cup Turf will be on the agenda next season.

Stormy, it's a pretty cool connection, actually. We had Gibraltar and Forgave being big horses at the same time and now their kids are running around being awesome :) I just hope you're not putting glitter on Forgot's hooves. He might have gender identification issues if you did...

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

And he's back with a narrow, gutsy win over Timing, who finished one spot ahead of him last out in the Louisville Bunbury! The 1 1/2 mile test has been aced and now he's on to the Irish Derby. His run there will determine whether or not I want to try him in the Arc this season. *bites nails*

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

This horse just does not like to get beat. Had every reason to in the Irish Derby, including the rail again, but still nipped Abandon Ship, a very talented colt in his own right, at the wire. Arc, here we come!

Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

It's the freak in him! Congrats Erin, he was brilliant in the Irish Derby!
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Erin, congrats on the win!

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Super nice win in a very competitive field. Saw he pulled the #1 slot but still put him in my Pick Six - I just think he is good enough to overcome things like Post position. Looking forward to his Arc run!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯