Health Reports?

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Rowdy Yates
Two Year Old

Post by Rowdy Yates »

When researching bloodlines and such for breeding...how do you find out about soundness? I see people talk about breeding for or worried about it but I don't know where to look for the possible problems???
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Unfortunately, there's no real formula for this, and even a lot of the experienced players sometimes have problems sorting it all out. For my part, I specialize almost entirely in dirt distance horses, and over time I've simply become more comfortable with things based on the performance of my horses and performance of other people's horses.

As a general rule for dirt horses, Gentleman and Battle Cry represent two major SOUND male lines. Event of The Year and Silver Charm are the two other major lines, and EOTY is somewhat fragile, Silver Charm is VERY fragile. The tricky part is anticiapting what the possible mix of crosses can do in a horse: breeding a Battle Cry mare to a Gentleman-line stallions is going to give you a sound horse, obviously, but what if you breed that resulting filly to a Silver Charm stallion? Is the foal sound or fragile? Somewhere in-between is the reasonable answer, and the only way to really monitor this is to watch your horse's performance and do your best to anticipate any trends. If your horse starts finishing progressively worse and worse, something's wrong, and you need to give it a break. If you just race all your horses like they're unsound (as I tend to do), you rarely will make a mistake (the random one or two mistakes are unavoidable sometimes, see Saga for an example).
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

Well most of us all learned from experience.

My advice is go learn from our mistakes... Read the legend bios.