Training Advice

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
S.C. Burns

Post by S.C. Burns »

My only concern with racing in a Stakes race (even a G3) is that in his previous experience with those races, he's never won...placed and showed yes, but never a win. If he was coming off a win at Belmont, I'd greenlight him for a Stakes but like someone else said earlier, even showing can kill some horses' confidence.

With an allowance, you may not get as much money or points, but you'll definitely increase your chances of a win, which in the long run would (I think) be better. Honestly, a loss at this point could ruin him.
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

I have a lot of decent horses, but only one fabulous one, Pinafore. I haven't raced her in anything but stakes since her maiden win, and she has only finished off the board once (in Dubai - I discovered she doesn't like to ship any distance...). My general theory is - if I don't see a race I like for her in the week I want her to run, I sponsor it. If the horse can pick up a check in a stakes - I run them in stakes, if they start going Off the board, then I back them down to allowance level.

As to your fella - Mountaineer also has a nice stakes coming up...
I'm just here for the fun of it
Tasha Langley
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Tasha Langley »

I'm running my mare Singlikeyourealone this week in an allowance race, mostly because I couldn't find anything else that suited her, but also to keep her fresh. I also ran Alone in My Dreams in an allowance earlier this year. It's not because they can't hang with the best of them.... Those two could arguably be the two best horses in my stable. It's simply to keep them fresh when there's nothing else around. I don't mind running in allowance races with any of my horses. It's absolutely not claiming your horse can't run in stakes.
Rivendell Acres
Home to...

Aupollo - $1,000
Dreams Never Die - $10,000
King of Jesters - $35,000
Left Behind - $10,000
Sounds of Victory - $7,500
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

Thank you very much everybody who responded. I do appreciate your honest feelings on the subject and will take all options into account.

I'm going to keep Worth The Effort in three year old company for his next race. After that, we'll see.

I'm in between West Virginia and Pennsylvania, depending on the field for each. It should work out ok :)
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.
Rob Canterbury
Eclipse Champion

Post by Rob Canterbury »

who is this scott guy? must be a newbie.. Hey would you like a free horse?? I am sure you don't have anything of quality in your barn...... shoot me a pm I have soemthing really special for you!
Live Strong- Baltimore crown champion- dirt route
Its a Gamble--MONSTER!
Afriad to Lead-- SC winner
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

Rob Kilbourn wrote: who is this scott guy? must be a newbie.. Hey would you like a free horse?? I am sure you don't have anything of quality in your barn...... shoot me a pm I have soemthing really special for you!
SOMEONE wants to be PROMINENTLY INVOLVED in the next fake forum thread :)
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

Scott Eiland wrote:
Rob Kilbourn wrote: who is this scott guy? must be a newbie.. Hey would you like a free horse?? I am sure you don't have anything of quality in your barn...... shoot me a pm I have soemthing really special for you!
It is weird to see Scott and not Randall... Did you ever consider getting your real named changed instead of your SIM name???
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

JoleneD wrote:
Scott Eiland wrote:
It is weird to see Scott and not Randall... Did you ever consider getting your real named changed instead of your SIM name???
I dunno, "Beam me up Randall" just doesn't have the same ring to it... :lol:

*So sorry, I just couldn't resist... ;)
Matt Woolfolk
Classic Contender

Post by Matt Woolfolk »

Scott, you will always be Randall. Randall will follow you like a ... I can't think of anything witty to put there. Maybe Randall will follow you like my 3yo crop, minus Paterno, follows everyone else's horses around the track.
Award winning journalist and record-setting trainer
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

I am going to take a dry-erase marker and scribble out "Scott" on every one of your posts on my monitor and put "Randall" instead.

I'm not sure how scrolling will work with that, though.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Matty Dubs
Eclipse Champion

Post by Matty Dubs »

All I know is that Randall's Ramblings flows better than Scott's Ramblings. What will it be now? Scott's Scatter Brained Thoughts? More importantly, did you go by Randall Graves to avoid inevitable comparisons to Scott Weiland? And if Scott Eiland is just another alias for Scott Weiland, will STP ever get back together?
This is where a creative signature would go.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

That gave me a brilliant idea.

Meet Eilean Mor, a gray filly by Comet out of Symbolic Asset, by Symbol. She's a half to a recent two year old stakes winner.

Her name is an island in Scotland. Get it, Scot Island? Ahahahahahahahaha

hehehehe

uh yeah

(I was originally going to name her "Scot Island" but I figured you might not want a girl sharing what's pretty much your name, so there you have it.)
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

- Bryan Doolittle
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

In less than a day, my friends the simsters have dragged out every single silly nickname i ever dealt with:

- Scott Weiland, who I wouldn't know if I ran him over.

- Scotty from Star Trek, who I hate because if I hear BEAM ME UP one more time I am going to SNAP

- Scotty Too Hotty the wrestler who's ambiguously....not straight.

- being called "Long" or "No Man Is A" by Chris Berman wannabes trying to be funny.

I STILL hated using Randall enough to make the switch okay.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

HEY I NAMED A HORSE AFTER YOU AND IT WASN'T ONE OF THOSE STUPID NICKNAMES, OKAY

I MEAN SERIOUSLY I BET NOBODY EVER CALLED YOU "EILEAN MOR" BEFORE HUH
- The Steward

- Bryan Doolittle
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

hehe when I see your name I kind of all blur it together and say... Scottie Land :lol:

Of course... I have no idea if that's even the right way to say your last name. :lol:
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~