A No Computer Diary

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

A No Computer Diary

Post by The Steward »

No Computer, day 1, hour 2
Dear Diary,
I've now made it 2 hours without the computer. I'm pretty lucky that I have a smart phone, but this tiny screen makes Simming so difficult!! I don't even text on my phone, I text from my computer. Frankly it's exciting I still know how to work this thing!

I do hope Mr Computer comes back from the doctor okay. They said it would be five days... An eternity. The longest eternity I may ever live through. I've been contemplating how to hone my survival skills. So far, my best bet is this strange, heavy bound object nearby, filled with paper covered in text. I know about text, so this object is comforting to me. Time to go study it.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Re: A No Computer Diary

Post by Nick Gilmore »

I can sympathize, I'd go crazy if I lost my ipad.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Computer failures are the reason I don't have a data plan. There have been a few occasions when my computer had to spend a few days in the shop. I had to use my ipod during those times. It was horrible. I don't see why people pay for that torture.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Kaine Saracen
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kaine Saracen »

Desktop PC: check
Laptop: check
Backup laptop: check
Hybrid laptop/tablet: check
Tablet: check
Backup tablet: check
Smart phone: check
Backup smart phone: check
Home broadband: check
Wireless internet: check
Backup wireless internet: check

Life: :roll:
No computer diary: Never Happen!
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Last time I took my computer in, they told me 1 day...bring it in, in the morning and get it in the afternoon. Five days later, I got my computer back. They didn't have the right win7 program for it...then said I had too many videos and music on my hard drive to handle the OS and store everything back on...so I had to run my external storage unit down to them, then the techs had a cold and took a day off.

At least I had my Kindle so I could watch shows on, read book and listen to some music...and access the Sim : ) I think that would be the worse...loss of computer and not being able to get into the Sim...double whammy.

Hopefully, they over estimated the time, Em, and you will get your computer back a lot sooner.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Patrick O'Malley
Eclipse Champion

Post by Patrick O'Malley »

Kaine Saracen wrote:Desktop PC: check

What, no UPS and diesel generator? That's an accident waiting to happen.
It's alive!
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Day 2, hour 5

Dear Diary,

Well reading has certainly been fun, but I still feel lost without you. I have several head shots to put up and can't, the simmy award voting is ready to be coded but can't, and a horse I loved dearly died today and I can't use my external hard drive to tweet endless photos of him. Today life feels bland and meaningless.

People keep asking me to open the chat room, which I would love to do but man it's a pain on this little phone. Not to mention it keeps aitocoorrxng things. Okay, you'll correct Dear to death but not whatever that was to auto correct?

Phone, I've had about enough of you!!!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

The Steward wrote:Day 2, hour 5

Dear Diary,

Well reading has certainly been fun, but I still feel lost without you. I have several head shots to put up and can't, the simmy award voting is ready to be coded but can't, and a horse I loved dearly died today and I can't use my external hard drive to tweet endless photos of him. Today life feels bland and meaningless.

People keep asking me to open the chat room, which I would love to do but man it's a pain on this little phone. Not to mention it keeps aitocoorrxng things. Okay, you'll correct Dear to death but not whatever that was to auto correct?

The mobile SIM struggles are real. :mrgreen:
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

lmao @ aitocoorrxng

*hugs for Tiago* :(
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Chris Everett
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris Everett »

The Steward wrote:Day 2, hour 5

Death Diary,

For true representation of what phones do!
On to a serious note. I had a death dirge for my computer last xmas. I had to wait for weeks to get al the parts. What happened was a power outage and apparently all the components decided to die. So i had to get new HDDs, new vid card, new sound card, new motherboard and cpu, had to get a cpu fan. Basically i had to replace everything that wasn't the actual case. I had a laptop but i rarely use it because its a yucky mac lol So Em, i really know how you feel cept instead of SIM it was class work I was freaking out about :( Either way, same emotional content there. This is why you need to have a friend who can slap computers together from parts! And make you a awesome rig that does everything you need it to do for sim and irl :D
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Em,
I'm sorry that you lost a favorite.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

DO NOT (I repeat DO NOT) take your computer to Best Buy. They turned my beautiful Einstein computer into a slobbering idiot and charged me for it!!!!
Kaine Saracen
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kaine Saracen »

Patrick O'Malley wrote:
Kaine Saracen wrote:Desktop PC: check

What, no UPS and diesel generator? That's an accident waiting to happen.
Welllll, I do have a power inverter hard wired to my diesel van to supply power. Don't need UPS (US Postal Service?) where I am. :wink:
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Dear Diary,

Day 3, Hour 6. I am writing to you from a desktop, hardwired computer. On an actual desk. That I am borrowing to turn the year over.

I'm not a rabid fan of sitting at a desk, so I have to admit that the ease of use surprised me. I haven't used a desktop in 10 years.

Oh wait, I'm so enamored because it's NOT A PHONE. Whoops, apparently this no computer thing is turning me aggressive.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Poor Em lol
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚