'chasing Sires

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Janie Jackson
Eclipse Champion

Post by Janie Jackson »

I picked up Golden Angel <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=13750' target='_blank'>http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php ... D=13750</a> for cheap off the sales page, and wanted to try her in a few more chases before retiring her (she's 7) because she was 4th in the only one she had run in before I bought her. Shes doing fairly well, and I have her entered in a stakes for mares next week. I plan on retiring her after that because she is a bit up there in age.. and will then breed her.

Besides Hirapour and McDynamo (who's infertile this year, correct?) Are there any other chasing stallions? Do we know for sure that Hirapour and McDynamo are going to produce chasers? I guess I'm just wondering if I should just take a shot with Hirapour, or what?

If I were to try to breed something other than a chaser with this mare, I would have no idea where to start..
Standing:
Passer: 20k(thoroughbred)
Pace On: 20k (pacer) SIMMY winner
Luck Now: 14k (pacer)
Zamil: 8k (arabian)
Hemingway: 8k (thoroughbred) SIMMY winner
Zimm's Gambler: 3k (appaloosa) SIMMY winner
Mr. Cellophane: 3k (quarter horse)
Foxed Knocks: 3k (trotter)
Zimm's Jolly Jim: 3k (appaloosa)
Gary Cooper

Post by Gary Cooper »

My friend... She is not exactly a world beater as a Chaser ! She is in fact a Dirt Sprinter as was her Dad and her Mom. Her Daddy did ok as a racer in Allowance grade races. Her mom did nothing and her offspring did little as well. Though moms Dam Sire is Silver Charm the apple did not seem to fall and roll far from the tree down the gene pool. I would not look to breed a chaser from her... I would look to breed a dirt sprinter. Look for a nice stud without spending a load and see what you get for her first foal.

A few I would go with:

Always Will
Champali
Flame Thrower
Medallist
Royal Sport

There are more... but that is a good start...
Janie Jackson
Eclipse Champion

Post by Janie Jackson »

From what I understand though, the chasing talent is random with these first chasers.. so it doesnt matter what her original breeding is. And I know she isnt a fantastic chaser, but she's been consistently bringing home checks, so I wouldnt say she's a poor chaser either.
I entered her in the stakes because it's limited to other fillies/mares.. so I'm hoping that will help her step up.

I'm hesitant to breed a chaser because it's unknown, and I have to wait until the baby is four, but as you said, her dirt sprint breeding hasn't exactly produced a fantastic horse, so I'm going to try to go with what she's showing more talent doing.

Thank you for your input though, you're often willing to give your opinion and I appreciate it
Standing:
Gary Cooper

Post by Gary Cooper »

I dont think she received the random draw as far as Chasing goes either...That horse is an average Chaser at best Chaser. Just being real with you. I have put a lot of time into chasing and numbers... But...Hey... go for it !
Janie Jackson
Eclipse Champion

Post by Janie Jackson »

:D If she completly flops next week, I'll consider plan B.. if not she's gonna have a date with a chaser
Standing:
Gary Cooper

Post by Gary Cooper »

Good luck ! And throw some blinkers on her... may help with her hang up problem and no response late last two times out.
Steph Lonhro
Hall of Fame

Post by Steph Lonhro »

this will probably make no sense but here it goes

are you wanting to breed to a 'chase' stallion, which for me is not conclusive at this point, to get a chaser? would it not be better for you to breed to her possible strengths? which I am a little confused by looking at her races

steeplechasers don't start racing over the jumps until they are at least 4 years of age, so breeding to her strengths would be the way I would go and not focus on the chaser part to be honest
Selati(dirt miler) $15k NY
Lani(unspecified type) $30k in NY
Lead the Crowd(turf miler) $15k NY
Janie Jackson
Eclipse Champion

Post by Janie Jackson »

yeah I was looking to breed her to get a horse that would be a chaser when it's 4...

I know its a long time to wait
Standing:
Janie Jackson
Eclipse Champion

Post by Janie Jackson »

She was a chaser when I bought her. Looking at her flat races, she sucked. she has a few 3rds and 4ths, but she was 8-10+ lengths off the winner. I'm not sure I'd even want to breed her for a flat racing baby. I was just going to try the chaser and maybe in 4 years, I'll have something.
Standing:
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

Well.. Given the amount of time I spend obsessing about sprinters. I am fairly sure that mare will never throw you anything that will be special enough to be successful. She is much more talented over jumps. Her week 9 race is actually quite impressive when you consider she was racing back in 2 weeks, and steeplechasing must be harder on a horse than a normal race. As far as steeplechasing mares go, I'd say she is pretty good and breeding a steeplechaser IS your best chance to get a good horse from her. The downside is you do have to wait a long time to see the proof of your efforts.
Janie Jackson
Eclipse Champion

Post by Janie Jackson »

Thats a good point about the two week turn around, and I'm doing it again for this stakes.. perhaps I should scratch her from that race.. there's mares allowance week 12, or maybe I should wait another week or two after that... with the new injury thing, I dont want to hurt her.
Standing:
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Nothinggoldcanstay has sired 3 steeplechase winners.. Which is actually MORE than he's sired on dirt.. Go figure.
Gary Cooper

Post by Gary Cooper »

Breeding to her strengths will produce her best chance at a chaser...dirt sprinters make the best chasers in the long run on average.

Edit... Case in point: Nothinggoldcanstay
Janie Jackson
Eclipse Champion

Post by Janie Jackson »

I"m confused Gary, are you trying to say breed her to a dirt sprinter or a a chaser when you say "breed to her strengths"?
Standing:
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

How on earth do you figure that? When the leading steeplechase sires are..

Canoe.
Really A Star
Storm Cat
Symbol
Giant's Causeway
Ground Zero
T M Awesome O
and Walkover

Not a single freaking sprinter on that list.