Where Stallions Stand

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Paul Sellers
Eclipse Champion

Post by Paul Sellers »

I am still a junior player, but was wondering whether the SIM takes into consideration where a stallion stands. Obviously in "real life" some will say that the rich "blue" grass of Kentucky makes it the best place to raise a foal, but does it matter in the SIM? The only reason I ask this is that I see so many SIM stallions standing in Kentucky and while mine stand in Louisiana and Texas, I didnt know if that hurt them or helped. My thoughs on standing them there are that they could help build a Texas or Louisiana-bred program that would make it easier for their runners to get some wins. And now I am thinking of moving one to Hawaii, for the same reason. Any thoughts?
"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse."

-- John Galsworthy
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

The only thing really to consider when standing a stallion is location-bred races and where the offspring will perform best.

Such as, turf sprinters do best standing in Australia and SAF, because that's where the best turf sprint races are.

Horses stand in Maryland, Kentucky, Florida, New York, and California, because there are good bonus money races for state-breds.

I've tried unsuccessfully to start programs in PA and Texas, but there just isn't enough interest yet!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

I was just thinking about the Texas breeding program the other day. It'd be nice to get a fuller meet going there, it's a good middleground between the east and west coasts.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

Eventually we'll get state bred programs going in more states I'd bet, but there isn't enough base in each one as of yet. Soon people will start looking for a special niche and statebreds will be a good one. PA, MN, TX, NM, VA, and the like will continue to grow and then there will be a base of horses to run in those races.

I know that in the next few years i'm goiing to have lots of horses for FL bred races... ;)

I'm imagining this for the future. B) :D
Krystle Yanagihara
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Krystle Yanagihara »

I stood What in SAF because that's where he did all of his best running, not to mention my secret plot of trying to build up a contigent of What babies to take over the continent. Ahahaha...!
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

I'd like to build my farm in PA when I finally have enough money (doubting that will ever happen, but we'll see). I'd like it to be located where Brushwood is, and that'll make it GORGEOUS! ;) I'm ALL for supporting the PA bred breeding program, but the problem right now is that there aren't that many stallions standing there.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Joel Smith
Sprinter

Post by Joel Smith »

i own <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=12712' target='_blank'>pacify</a>and i am willing to move him to pa if the steward will put some more state bred races there and i am sure other owners will help us by moving the stalions there
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I like Pacify a lot, but he wouldn't fit the PA bred program. I don't know how many of the PA tracks have turf races in real life, but it's not all of them (at least last time I checked), and right now there are very limited PA -bred stakes in general, let alone on the turf.

Pacify would do well in Texas, as they have several turf sprints, or overseas, like AUS, NZ, SAF.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Martin Pennington
Hall of Fame

Post by Martin Pennington »

I'll move Look Up to where the races are, if that means a Nebraska-breds program then he'll be getting an extra New Zealand rug tonight B)
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

PA tracks only have one or two turf races a day, and often times those races come off the turf due to bad weather. Also, a lot of them are sprints. I know this because my family owned three turf horses, and they ALL had trouble finding races. In fact, we were probably only able to run them in 6 turf races over the course of 3-4 years. There are, however, maybe 4-5 state bred turf stakes that are pretty nice. We just had the PA Day At the Races on Saturday, and there were some nice stakes that day.

Edit: In response to The Steward, both Philly and Penn National have turf courses. I don't know about Presque Isle Downs though, which actually isn't even open for live racing yet.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

NikkiSherman wrote: PA tracks only have one or two turf races a day, and often times those races come off the turf due to bad weather. Also, a lot of them are sprints. I know this because my family owned three turf horses, and they ALL had trouble finding races. In fact, we were probably only able to run them in 6 turf races over the course of 3-4 years. There are, however, maybe 4-5 state bred turf stakes that are pretty nice. We just had the PA Day At the Races on Saturday, and there were some nice stakes that day.

Edit: In response to The Steward, both Philly and Penn National have turf courses. I don't know about Presque Isle Downs though, which actually isn't even open for live racing yet.
I know Penn does but I was thinking Philly did not - thanks!
Martin Pennington
Hall of Fame

Post by Martin Pennington »

Philly Park rocks :D
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

Yep Philly has a turf track. In fact, we shipped Puppy there on PA Derby Day to run on it! THAT was exciting!
Inspiration Stud
Lisa Strummer
Hall of Fame

Post by Lisa Strummer »

YAY! Philly Park-my hometown track!
That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.-Bryan Doolittle
Joel Smith
Sprinter

Post by Joel Smith »

i will help the the steward any way i can if you think he will fit better in texas than i am offering to move him there to set the trend if that means you will put in some state bred races in texas