Looking For Some Feedback

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

I'll be retiring <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=26186' target='_blank'>Moonlit Roses</a> at the end of the year, though I'm hoping we can pick up a win for her before I do. Anyway, I thought I'd bounce a few breeding ideas off everyone with this one. I'm still a little hesitant to go all in and invest in a high-dollar stallion this time around, but I may change my mind if I get enough feedback in some sort of consensus fashion. This has been a tough family for me to figure out, so any help is appreciated.

Here are two of my early choices...

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=18131' target='_blank'>Destiny</a> - Right at the top of what I can afford, but I'd love to see him crossed with the daughter of a Three Of Crowns mare.

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=15700' target='_blank'>Superlative</a> - I like the Crystal Night line, and there doesn't seem to be too many surviving stallions on that branch.

As you can see, I'm aiming toward the 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 distance on the Three Of Crowns side. I'm sure I'll have to experiment, but if anyone has any good suggestions, I'm all ears. I really like her potential, and I think I lucked out finding this nearly unraced 4yo filly from an abandoned stable, so I want to make the most of her.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

She looks like a nice mare, good luck with her! Stretch her out more. There are a lot of nice turf routers standing for under $30k - here are my picks.

Bago - Wasn't too keen on him at first, but he does have several very nice runners. $25k.
Deathdefying - 5x3x4 to Storm Cat and an AMAZING value at $10k. Or you can go to his dad, Lokite Magic, for five tiny grand.
Kotashaan - Best runner is out of a Sadler's Wells mare. $17.5k.
Le Dauphin Noir - Excellent on the track and promising in the shed. $15k.
Palpitations - 3x4 to Storm Cat, unproven breeder but by the time you retire your mare he may have some winners. $20k.
Rado - this would be 3x5 to Sadler's Wells, I think. He's got a great book but like Palpitations, unproven. $25k.
What - Also unproven but appealing at $15k.

I think you're safest going with Deathdefying/Lokite Magic or Le Dauphin Noir, but the newer sires also are really nice. It's up to you how much risk you're willing to take.
Frayed - $75,000
Liveinthemoment - $25,000
Same - $10,000
It's Been Awhile - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Ryen Hanna
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ryen Hanna »

Sarah Chase wrote: Kotashaan - Best runner is out of a Sadler's Wells mare. $17.5k.
-does a little dance-

Sorry, she gets me all excited and makes me dance!
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

Thanks Sarah. I'm not sure what the 5x3x4 means - could you explain that quickly for me?

Also, how much influence does the grand sire of the grand sire have in a pedigree?
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

Paul Heinrich wrote: Thanks Sarah. I'm not sure what the 5x3x4 means - could you explain that quickly for me?

Also, how much influence does the grand sire of the grand sire have in a pedigree?
Refers to inbreeding. The same horse appears 5 generations back, 3 generations back, and 4 generations back. If you hypomate the horses I marked as inbred you'll see the bolded names.

Your second question, no, the grandsire of a grandsire has little to no influence in a pedigree. If you were getting at the Kotashaan note, yeah, I didn't mean to imply breeding a Moon Ballad mare is the same as a direct Kotashaan - Sadler's Wells cross, I just put it in there as a note.
Frayed - $75,000
Liveinthemoment - $25,000
Same - $10,000
It's Been Awhile - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500