Hall of Fame Poll

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

Should we?

Poll ended at 8 years ago

Vote every year - who cares how many get in!
76%
Vote every other year - it will eventually sort itself out!
24%

Total votes: 58

Chris Everett
Hall of Fame

Re: Hall of Fame Poll

Post by Chris Everett »

There you said it Nena and Maddy. For all purposes dirt routers should be separated from the rest. They need their own room to play in. And it should never be about surface raced at all. It should be about breeds. I don't have a clue why anyone would segregate like that but eh, it still goes on everywheres. Yea I know I said DR tbs should be but that's only because they are like the jocks and head cheerleaders of the sim. Rest of the sim that isn't a dr tb is like the population of a 3rd world country :p Getting rid of genders is not the best idea either. In some cases its the females that won a lot more money in a breed/distance than the males. And the reverse in a lot of the other breed/distances that are not dominated by females. QHs are almost as bad at TBs too but honestly, everyone should have the same opportunity, not just create specfic rules... cept them dirt routers... they still need to be kept separate from the rest :P
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Didn't we used to do a "current" and "yesteryear" category? Or am I crazy?
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Laura Smith wrote:Didn't we used to do a "current" and "yesteryear" category? Or am I crazy?
We did.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

Nena Olson wrote:
Laura Smith wrote:Didn't we used to do a "current" and "yesteryear" category? Or am I crazy?
We did.
I remember a Yesteryear award too (which is why I said that), but I thought they were SIMMYs?
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

The Steward wrote:But know this: we aren't ever UN-INDUCTING a horse just because better horses may or may not exist now. That's like kicking a horse out from 1929 just because American Pharoah ended up existing which is silly. At the time, people thought the horse was relevant, so even if you feel otherwise, you don't get to change the past.
Just so we're all clear, I was not insinuating that we should kick out any older horses from the HoF. But to make sure that from now on, the most deserving horses get in, we should have a committee that nominates more than just a handful of candidates and then goes to a popular vote, where more than one horse can get in, rather than the winner take all system now.
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
David Gray
Miler

Post by David Gray »

Why do so many people think TB DRs deserve special treatment or that they are superior to every other breed/surface? I agree if they win the triple crown but that is based on performance not the fact that they are DRs. any breed/surface/distance that performs at that level needs to be recognized. The best TB DR is no better then the best TM or steeplechaser or Paint sprinter etc. The HOF should be based on the performance of the horse. Its not like these different type horses could ever compete against each other so who really knows which is better. The idea that just because it is a TB DR it is better than any other type of horse is biased.
"Pay attention as David Gray is building a nice stable of runners." Howard Cake
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

I'll stand by my long held opinion that as long as there are different breeds in the game, there should be different Halls. Horses and trainers. Then you can go 2 per year for TBs (male and female), 1 every other year for other breeds. That can be adjusted when and if the numbers warrant it (i.e., if the circuits for other breeds are growing faster than TBs).

Trainers get a vote every other year, but can be eligible for induction for the Hall for any breed.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

We did have a yesteryear category, but it was eliminated because pretty much every horse of yesteryear was finally included in the HOF.

I voted, but agree with Maddy that the options could be improved. Let's vote horses every year, allow each player to vote for a certain number on the ballot (10 for the sake of argument) and horses on 75% of ballots get in the HOF. The same rules can apply to the silly mixers as nobody cares about them and mixers are dumb.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

I'm one of those people that feel that the older horses should be inducted before the younger horses. Right Hand Man would have never had the chance to win a Triple Crown and I don't think that should be the main criteria for induction. Right Hand Man should have been inducted a long time ago. As much as I love Maelstrom and appreciate all that he has done - I still think Right Hand Man deserves to be in the HOF and there will always be dirt routers that have won bigger races than he did. In any year that Maelstrom is put up he would be a shoo in, not so for RHM. To me, it is just wrong to kick the old sprinter to the curb for the younger Triple Crown winner, when the Triple Crown winner would easily be inducted next year.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Paul Heinrich wrote:I'll stand by my long held opinion that as long as there are different breeds in the game, there should be different Halls. Horses and trainers. Then you can go 2 per year for TBs (male and female), 1 every other year for other breeds. That can be adjusted when and if the numbers warrant it (i.e., if the circuits for other breeds are growing faster than TBs).

Trainers get a vote every other year, but can be eligible for induction for the Hall for any breed.
I second this idea
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Burgundy Hill Farms
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Burgundy Hill Farms »

What if we did like MLB and induct one from recent era, and one from the "veterans committee" from yesteryear?

Karl Smythe
Hall of Fame

Post by Karl Smythe »

Some awesome ideas being given here.
I voted, but agree with Maddy that the options could be improved. Let's vote horses every year, allow each player to vote for a certain number on the ballot (10 for the sake of argument) and horses on 75% of ballots get in the HOF.
Like button for this one!
Is the glass half full? or half empty?
Dan Kauffman
Hall of Fame

Post by Dan Kauffman »

Phil Hoeflich wrote:What if we did like MLB and induct one from recent era, and one from the "veterans committee" from yesteryear?
Recent era inclusions in baseball can be anywhere from zero (just happened recently) to as many as can get 75 percent. It's not always one per year. Just FYI.
‹Ali Hedgestone› Oh you get addicted to the crack after a while.
This spot reserved for my super-amazing TR stallion come Year 136.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Apparently I never posted "The people have spoken, we will now vote yearly" which is really confusing some people. Sorry to be so confusing, but based on the results of this poll, we will vote yearly for a while.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Chris Everett
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris Everett »

David Gray wrote:Why do so many people think TB DRs deserve special treatment or that they are superior to every other breed/surface? I agree if they win the triple crown but that is based on performance not the fact that they are DRs. any breed/surface/distance that performs at that level needs to be recognized. The best TB DR is no better then the best TM or steeplechaser or Paint sprinter etc. The HOF should be based on the performance of the horse. Its not like these different type horses could ever compete against each other so who really knows which is better. The idea that just because it is a TB DR it is better than any other type of horse is biased.
Sorry, haven't paid much attention to this thread between classes and other activities i've been doing. One of the biggest things about the SIM is the Dirt Routers. As someone pointed out, they are going to be considered before everything else. Who cares about Right Hand Man when Maelstrom is there. Ooooh a SIM TC winner vs some old horse apparently no one cares about? This is the exact reason I think DR should have its own category just to prevent this from happening. Otherwise forget the amazing dirt sprinters and turf sprinters or that turf miler who went undefeated. Just because there is dirt routing doesn't mean it is the be all end all of the SIM. Otherwise we wouldn't have mixers, we wouldn't have any surfaces or distance besides Routing on the dirt.

And Em, i think it was a given when we all logged in and saw the new link and explanation but its all good either way!