Florida Derby -- East Meets West

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Florida Derby -- East Meets West

Post by Glenn Escobar »

I obviously prefer Nyquist as a Californian, but what a race this ought to be.

I will be sponsoring 2 contests/tournaments for the Triple Crown races, 1 limited to New Players, the other open to all. If you are a NEW player and want to participate in that one (free horses and cash from me, just handicapping from you), please PM me in game by April 27th.
“In the race for excellence,there is no finish line.”

— His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Re: Florida Derby -- East Meets West

Post by Lori Hamill »

Nice win by Nyquist, don't know what was going on with the stretch run but he seemed fine once he straightened out. I also have no idea what was up with Mohayman, he didn't seem to fire at all today.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Mohaymen looked Nyquist in the eye, and only one of them blinked. I wouldn't back Mohaymen at anything less than 8-1 after watching that run. I really am not sure he has the simple courage to run 10F against the best the world has to offer.

Chris Everett
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris Everett »

This sudden quit he, Mohayman, had was just giving up but i dont prescribe to putting human actions on animals lol. Be intresting to hear from the stable of Mohaymen their reasons why he quit like that. I swore for a moment Nyquist did a Zen move and pulled away.
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Again, I think the really important question here, now that we've clearly established Nyquist as the Derby favorite is, "what price is Mohaymen worth?". And sadly, or not depending on how you look at it, he is no better than a glorified 6/7/8-1 type middle-range shot in this field. It's him, Nyquist, and 18 others for a mad dash to the line.........I really don't think Mohaymen has the fortitude to put in a better run when it counts even more.

Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Chris Everett wrote:This sudden quit he, Mohayman, had was just giving up but i dont prescribe to putting human actions on animals lol. Be intresting to hear from the stable of Mohaymen their reasons why he quit like that. I swore for a moment Nyquist did a Zen move and pulled away.
He quit because Nyquist gave him no other choice.

Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

I think the pace of the race changed when Takeittotheedge stumbled badly coming out the gate. That really put Nyquist in the cat bird seat imo. He ran a heck of a race but I do not see him winning the Derby. I think he will have a lot of company up front in the Derby. Also I do not just toss out Mohaymen after that race.
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Joseph Depaulo
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Joseph Depaulo »

Too me it's not a question is Nyquist gonna win the triple crown is will he stay sound long enough to win the triple crown
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Joseph Depaulo wrote:Too me it's not a question is Nyquist gonna win the triple crown is will he stay sound long enough to win the triple crown
I can barely see an Uncle Mo over Forestry going 10f.. let alone 12f!
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Louise Bayou wrote:I think the pace of the race changed when Takeittotheedge stumbled badly coming out the gate. That really put Nyquist in the cat bird seat imo. He ran a heck of a race but I do not see him winning the Derby. I think he will have a lot of company up front in the Derby. Also I do not just toss out Mohaymen after that race.
I'm not tossing out Mohaymen, but I do think Nyquist is a better horse, and I wouldn't back Mohaymen at anything shorter than 6-1. That's not necessarily tossing him out.

Also I think you could be right about the upfront Derby pacing, which might make the whole thing fall apart and bring home some random 25-1 Shot who picks up the pieces left behind by those breaking Nyquist. It could happen.

No Triple Crown winner this year, I don't think ----- in fact I doubt any one horse hits the board in all 3 races.

Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Joseph Depaulo wrote:Too me it's not a question is Nyquist gonna win the triple crown is will he stay sound long enough to win the triple crown
That's been the question, even with the WINNERS of the TC, let alone those who've tried, for every horse this side of Secretariat.

Joseph Depaulo
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Joseph Depaulo »

I'm not saying he's gonna win it all but at this moment there isn't anybody to challenge him it's w tough schedule Glenn for any horse
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Joseph Depaulo wrote:I'm not saying he's gonna win it all but at this moment there isn't anybody to challenge him it's w tough schedule Glenn for any horse
He looks like the fastest, that is for sure. The toughness of the schedule is obv. what makes it such a uniquely difficult feat to pull off, let alone for a 3yo with a handful of starts.

I'd be interested to see if his connections really think he (or anyone this year) can hold up through all 3 races and be competitive in each one. Don't know.

David Gray
Miler

Post by David Gray »

Mohaymen had a bad day. Don't count him out in May. The very best horses lose a race sometimes.
"Pay attention as David Gray is building a nice stable of runners." Howard Cake
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Once again, I don't think anyone is ruling Mohaymen out, or saying he can't run. But.........it is fair to start thinking "what is he worth?" at the window, and the answer to that question really can't be anything more favorable than 6-1. Still 2 or 3 more very relevant preps too, so while no one is throwing Mohaymen out, I don't think he goes on the list of most probable winners, either.

But hey...........I'm hosting that TC Contest, anyone who really wants to back Mohaymen is free to do so there :)