Super Contest

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Gary Cooper

Post by Gary Cooper »

If she never wins another race... She will forever be the pride of my stable!
<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=41642' target='_blank'>Girl of Strength</a>

A 2yo Filly out of Yume Senshi x Rival of Silence (Sunday Silence). Off to a 2 for 2 start in Stakes races. It is one thing to come from a Dam that you say "Who" about... It is another to say you were the first to legitimize the Sire's worthiness. If Mr. Shields investment wasnt a sure thing on the track ( And I think it was... He is now in the shed and for a bargin 10K) This young girl was overlooked from the begining... I bought her for 5K ! Needless to say... She was a find of a life time for me from the start. She has showed to be true to her name so far !

Thank you
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

I will nominate a horse that nobody has ever heard of . . . this week:

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=20210' target='_blank'>Fumetsu</a>!

Fumetsu was 14:13-1-0 in his career, earning over 3.7 million dollars. He is the only runner of turf monster and 10 million dollar earner <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=8855' target='_blank'>Shatterproof</a>. As Japanese Juvy of the Year, Three Year Old of the Year and Horse of the Year, Fumetsu was able to find the wire in front of his foes by a total of 67.5 lengths (over 5 lengths per win). He now stands for stud at over twice the amount that was originally paid for him in auction.

Fumetsu's injury was unexpected and put a damper on an epic year. That said, it forced me to get creative with him and, as a result, he is proving to be incredibly lucrative in the shed. In just over one full year in the shed, he has attracted 28 mares, most of which are graded stakes winners and/or graded stakes producers. A lot of that is due to some interesting incentives given to interested trainers. That tactic is now being used by several other owners in the place of restricted books.

Great contest!

-Daryl
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

I'd love to nominate a little (well, maybe not so little! He is 17.1 hands!) horse named THE STAR MAN.

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=27120' target='_blank'>http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php ... D=27120</a>

He is undefeated at distances over 1 mile (he's only lost once, in a sprint maiden race, no surprise there). His last three races were all Grade 1 stakes, and he won each of them by at least two lengths- usually quite impressively. He's hoping to earn a South Pacific championship this year, if we're lucky!

The thing that REALLY made me fall in love with him as a yearling, however, were some lines written about him in the Steward's behind the scenes peek at the TBS auction. This is what she had to say:

"The Star Man is the rowdiest. He comes from a long line of hot headed horses, and he towers above everyone at 17.1 hands with a long, flowing black mane. He's kind of a pain, really, squealing and fighting all the time. I've had to assign my biggest and toughest handler to him exclusively."

Really... how could you not fall in love with such a bad boy!!! ;)

He is even more special to me personally because I own his sire, Bago.

And... in thinking that he could win a lot more races (fingers crossed) as well as stand at stud one day- that's makes for a lot of people that would be able to enjoy seeing his SIMage!!!
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

I'll nominate my "stable star" Zonked.

Zonked is the last foal from the supermare, Awesome Dancer. While not as talented as some of his elder siblings, he has won over $280,000 in all types of races from non graded stakes to $25,000 claiming. He has won stakes races as a 2 YO, a 5 YO and as a 6 YO.

His record is 21: 7-4-0, and has only failed to bring home a check 4 times in his long career. All of those poor showings were in grade 1 or 2 races. Zonked has danced every dance, tried his best even when poorly managed by his trainer (I've pushed him too hard a few times--stupid newbie mistake!) and shown his courage and heart time after time.

His stakes wins include the Loki Flame Stakes (2yo), the Sanjaya Malakar Stakes, and the February Stakes. Sure, he's not a world beater, but he's the type of horse that anyone would be proud to own.

Here is his page: <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=17237' target='_blank'>http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php ... D=17237</a>
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=29617' target='_blank'>Me! Pick Me!</a>

Why? Oh, so many reasons:

1. My cheap owner spends her game points sponsoring races for losers (*cough* maiden races *cough*) instead getting a head shot for me, her Derby winner!

2. My <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=24460' target='_blank'>older brother</a>, who is poorer and not as good looking, has a head shot and I don’t. The shame of it all!

3. Head shots with Derby roses in them are nifty.

4. I’m named after one of the coolest places on earth.

5. I figured out how to log into the computer and post on my own behalf. How many other horses are that determined to get a head shot?

~Del Mar
Lisa Strummer
Hall of Fame

Post by Lisa Strummer »

This is a great contest, it's cool to read about everyone's "big horses"!
That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.-Bryan Doolittle
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=26561' target='_blank'>Lucrezia Borgia</a> is my nomination for this contest.

This daughter of Borgia really needs no introduction. Her record stands at an unblemished 7:7-0-0 and has already amassed three Grade 1 wins: the Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf, the British 1000 Guineas, and the Epsom Oaks (she's slated to run in the Irish Oaks tomorrow). This dark bay filly is already receiving foal trade offers and her third year isn't even completed.

All of you already know her story. An afterthought in the Year 18 International Stud Auction, I was able to purchase her for a mere $10,000 while the vets fought over others. She's earned over a million dollars already and is a shining example of proof that a new player can compete with the big boys if the stars align properly. She's even stalked by the competition! (that and she should have at least been NOMINATED for a SIMMY last year, but that's not a big deal to me in the least. What matters is what she's done on that track, and her record is quite remarkable.) She's quite a horse, and I am very fortunate to own her.
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.
Peter Gleason
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter Gleason »

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=39076' target='_blank'>Sale Stopper</a>

3yo dkb f- 15.2hh
6: 4-0-0 $367,500

By Storm Cat out of Unbridled Star

Sale Stopper was destined for greatness, being a sister to the Oliva trained Sale Topper. While Sale Topper showed a liking for the longer races, Sale Stopper has shown that a mile is her limit with 2 unplaced runs at distances of above 1 mile. Bred by Emily Hufford, this little beauty was sold for only $10K to me about 3 and a half months ago. Fortunatley for me I was home from school on this particular day she was sold for cheap.

Sale Stopper won her first race at 7 1/2 furlongs a few days later by 2 3/4 lengths at Florence Park. Not wanting to rush her, I put her in a mile allowance 3 weeks later. Sale Stopper easily won by 5 1/4 lengths in an impressive display. It turns out the race was quite strong with 4 of her 7 rivals winning their next start. Furthermore, the second place horse Khadia has placed in stakes company two times since that race.

Looking at her brother's race record, I decided that the American Oaks was a suitable target for her 3yo season. Sale Stopper started her 3yo campaign in the Jennifer Stewart Stakes over 1 1/16 miles and came 6th. Thinking that it was just a really stong race, I put her in the Honeymoon Handicap against topliners Can't Live in Fear and Dreamthaticanfly. After coming in last, despite stumbling the start, it looked like the mile was more her go. I shipped her to Ireland immediately for the 1000 guineas.

On the day of the 1000 guineas stong entries included Five Islands and Finality. After Five Islands was scrathed (to my relief), Finality emerged as the stongest competition, having run second to Can't Live in Fear in her 2yo year. After jumping well and settling near the front, Sale Stopper was checked sharply by Minus the Mojo before the turn. However, Sale Stopper's determination showed through and she won running away by 3 3/4 lengths over Star On Stage. Finality was third. It was my first group one win.

Having seen that most 1000 guineas winners went on to the Coonation stakes. The field was a little stronger, including regulars in the top 50 females such as Five Islands and Three Part Harmony. Sale Stopepr broke smoothly and with a stron ails run won by 1 1/2 lenghts over the Nalbone trained Michigan. Canonbury Tower was third.

Sale Stopper has now won two group one races and has proven that she loves the mile. The Matron Stakes is next in 2 weeks time. It will be her biggest test yet but I think she will be up to the task. If she wins the Matron, the Breeders Cup Mile is a possibility. If she doesn't win, a mile stakes in week 16 looks like a good fit. Hopefully Sale Stopper can continue her winning streak and threaten the popular Randall trained Lucrezia Borgia in the European champion 3yo filly.

Well...thanks for reading. It got a bit long winded in the end
Peter
Big Changes Electrocutionist x Subtle Admiration (Future Hero) $5K
Forty Four Years Worlds Abound x October Magic (Lokite Magic) $1K
Piston Azamour x Ipi Tombe (Manshood) $7.5K
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

Aziz Amir <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=15221' target='_blank'>http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php ... D=15221</a>
6yo gelding, Tread Softly - Excessive Temper by In Excess

Aziz was an honest flatracer when I got him for a song - his former owner was leaving racing and needed to sell his stock cheap, but even though he had an inauspicious 4-0-0-0 $0 record, I loved his eye and he had a sense of calm, professional competence about him. I sent him up to Trial Park, and my confidence paid off - he picked up his first check in the "Welcome to the Game" stakes, followed by his first win in a maiden claimer there, followed by a second in the NW2. With more confidence, we went to South America. I don't know whether it was the heat, the travel, or what, but he seemed to have deflated, so he came home for a break.

He'd always been quite an escape artist, but no one had ever seen him get out until one night during his lay-off as I left the foaling barn I saw him mid flight leaping the fence. Then it hit me - I hadn't recognized his calling, he needed to run and jump. His steeplechasing career began. He's been a star, garnering a record of 9-3-1-2 with earnings of $196,700 and rewarding me with my first G1 win in the Champion Hurdle Challenge Trophy. When his racing career is over, he'll be pensioned and play until the end of his days. He's my special boy.
I'm just here for the fun of it
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Kevin H wrote: He was my first horse, I created him right after I joined and I had absolutely, positively not a single inkling of a clue as to what I was doing. I just picked a sire and a broodmare sire that I liked without giving any thought as to whether or not they might fit together.
Ah, you're not the only one to find success doing this. Jolly Good was created the exact same way.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Janey Adams
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Janey Adams »

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=26255' target='_blank'>Historic</a>

I would like to nominate Historic.

Why do you ask?

Historic was a bargain purchase at $10,000 from a auction. I have no idea how I acquired him for so little, but im not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Anyways, this horse is the backbone of my growing stable and is and always will be my favorite. He is one of the most consistent horses in the game, and gives it his all everytime he runs. His record, 15:4-8-3, speaks for itself as he has never been off the board and is a Dual Grade 1 winner. I could always count on him to bring me home a check when I was in need of money, and he never let me down bringing in more than $1.4 million.

Historic was my first stakes winner in the SIM and first Grade 1 winner. For everything that he has done for me and my stable, he will forever hold a special place in my heart.
Susie Rydell
Eclipse Champion

Post by Susie Rydell »

I've been lucky to have some incredible horses throughout my time in the SIM, but only one whose brilliance catapulted him to the top of the SIM rankings and whose longevity has kept him there. Whileaworldsleeps, already a six-time champion, has now taken home another G1 win, this time at the age of seven. That feat is believed to have tied him with Havoli Makahikihou as the oldest G1 winners in the history of the SIM. It also marked his 10th G1 win, a total that has been garnered with wins in five different countries. And he hasn’t just won G1’s in 5 countries, he’s won the premiere ones. He has been victorious on Breeders’ Cup Day, at Royal Ascot, Arc day, and in all three legs of the Hong Kong Sprint Series.

Plus, he’s little and grey. So that’s all kinds of cute. And he’s the Old Man!

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=14455' target='_blank'>Vote for Sleeps!</a>
Bill Deitch
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Bill Deitch »

I would like to nominate <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=39846' target='_blank'>Inspired Speed</a>, my stakes winning filly.

My story about her is a little odd, but here goes:

At one of the Trial By Summer auctions last year, I had examined the yearlings and made my list of which horses I wanted to bid on. At the top of my list was a filly named Little Dipper. This name caught me from the get-go, as this is what I call my son, who was just born in January. I thought it would be very cool to own a horse with the same name as my new son's nickname!! But then I saw her pedigree- Em's Always Busy by Constellation, the Satelite mare. WOW!! But then my heart broke, because I realized how sought after that filly would be. However, I had more money that I had ever had for an auction (~$700K), and so I hoped that she might just slip to that price range and I could snag her. Then the last day of the auction came...

The price stayed the same until a short while before the final bell, and then it skyrocketed to 4 million dollars!! I was devastated...but I had to rebound quickly and figure out where on my list I stood, and where I need to place my bid. Well, as I was doing so, I was also playing with my son, and reading the different names to him as I went down my list. When I read the name "Inspired Speed", I got a little gurgle and a smile from my 4-month-old son. So I put a star next to that name on my list, and continued. As time ran out on this auction, I placed my final bid on this filly at $400K, and made my largest auction purchase ever! However, it did not end there.

In her debut race, who did she line up against but the filly I had coveted so much, Little Dipper. They faced off in the Awesome Dancer Stakes, and wouldn't you know it, my little filly beat the superstar-to-be that had cost 10 times as much at auction!! I was so happy not just to win, but that my son had seemingly "chosen" that filly for me.

I want Inspired Speed to have a SIMage because there's no way I'll ever be able to afford one, and I would absolutely love to be able to show him the first SIM horse he chose and tell him the story of how she won her first race for us!!

Thanks for reading my novel!
Fabio Socarraz
Derby Contender

Post by Fabio Socarraz »

Chicane dkb.f.3 NY Ghostzapper x Fighting The Tears
7:4-0-0 $197,980

<a href='http://www.Simhorseracing.com/Horse.php?HorseID26962' target='_blank'>My Webpage</a>

Winner Clasico Indenpendencia (G2)
Winner British Columbia Oaks (G1)
Winner Delaware Oaks (G2)

When I first got her she had lost her first three starts. She had a 7th at 5 furlongs, a 5th at 6 1/2 furlongs and a 6th at 1 mile. I knew she had a good line, so the potential was there. I started to ask questions being new to the game and was told that she needs to run longer for her to reach that potential. The first wim was a SIMperior Players Only at 1 1/16 mile and she has won ever since. I have nominated for the Breeders Cup and will enter her in the Distaff at the end of the year. She has become the staple of my stable and the one I'am most proud of.
Fabio

Vista Hermosa Farm, Puerto Rico $20
Winds Aloft Standing at Vista Hermosa Farm, (PRI) $15,000
Smelted Glory Standing at Vista Hermosa Farm, (PRI) $8,000
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

I'm going to go ahead and be a little strange and nominate someone else's horse. But whatever, I'm curious to see what he looks like, so I'll go ahead and do it.

The horse I'd like to nominate is <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=14884' target='_blank'>Throne</a>. As the most dominant older horse since the SIM's reincarnation, and easily the high-dollar earner since the SIM reopened, he's the poster child for what conservative management of a late-blooming three year old can yield in terms of four-year old success. Anyone looking for a quick Racing Management 101 would do well to look at Ali LaDuke's handling of this colt as a three year old, when he wasn't quite ready for the big time against the Triple Crown colts of his day. The subsequent managing of his four year old career was easy: just run him in the biggest races and watch him come home a winner.

I saw the wrong end of a couple tight decisions to Throne that year (2nd by a head with Righteous in the Dubai World Cup; 2nd by 1/2 length with Edict in the Whitney), so I can attest to the fact that Throne had to earn every dollar his four-year old year; nobody handed him anything while he raced against and defeated one of the deepest groups of older horses in years.

Then there's the small matter of his pedigree: it's a genetic goldmine, and he may have the best classic dirt pedigree in the SIM. Bringing in Loki Flame, Forever Risk, Priceless Forever, Symbol, and Soldier Girl makes him a sort of "final product" of some 17 years worth of SIM breeding, as he combines almost all the major lines tracing back to the early years of the SIM. Let's see what all those years of breeding produced and get Throne a headshot!