He Gave Me You

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Matty Dubs
Eclipse Champion

Post by Matty Dubs »

Alright. So I was able to pick up a daughter of Sports Jersey from an old inactive players, and I am excited about her bloodlines. She did not tear up the track, but that might have been mismanagement. <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=15500' target='_blank'>He Gave Me You</a> was originally an auction baby, so I have faith that the breeding is on the good to very good side.

Anyway, her limited success on the track came on grass, though it seems that her pedigree would indicate being a dirt router, as Sports Jersey and Loki Flame have both seemed to have the most success on dirt. I know Loki Flame has some turfy descendants, but am not overly familiar with the Sports Jersey lines.

When I searched Sports Jersey, the majority of his descendants seemed to have their routes in dirt.

Then I searched other broodmares that came from a Sports Jersey x Loki Flame mare mix.
The list includes...

He Gave Me you (my horse) - nothing on the ground

Red Wings (Kat Turnbull's horse) - only one kid on the ground, bred for dirt, but not even a workout time to his name.

Shot Clock (Deceased) - only one kid ever hit the ground, spent the majority of his career on dirt, but only career win came on turf.

Spark (Eric Nalbone's horse) - three kids on the ground, all bred for dirt

Storyline (Kat Turnbull's horse) - seven kids on the ground, all bred for dirt, none earned over 10k in their career

Totrytomakethemsee (Ronda Figal's horse) - four kids on the ground, split breeding for Turf and dirt, highest earner has $2,200.

Trance (Ronda Figal's horse) - six kids, all bred for dirt it seems. Highest earner is at $58k.

In all these mixes, I saw a variety of different distances that the horses were being bred for, so that confuses me too.

As of this very moment, I'd likely send her to Midnightconfession (seems to go both ways in terms of surface) or Canute (also seems surface flexible). I'm leaning towards Canute due to the success of Kiddo and Portia...but I'm pretty clueless.

Thanks in advance for any help you're willing to offer! :)
This is where a creative signature would go.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Personally, I would go turf with this filly. Despite the one third on dirt, she was badly beaten in that one race, and was much more competitive in her turf efforts. While her dam has been bred to mostly dirt sires since, with decent results, the truth is, she is a half-sister to champion Super Light (turf), and her half-siblings in the new SIM (Favorite Spot, Soothing and Candles) have all raced well on the turf.

What worked in the old SIM doesn't necessary translate into success in the new SIM, so I focus largely on horses aged 3 and 4 when trying to figure out the cross. You also have to keep in mind that the female family can play a large role in surface preference. For example, Spark's female family is primarily dirt, as is Tease's, while your mare appears to be more turf oriented.

If she was my mare, I'd be aiming for either the Roberto line (Action This Day, Rock Hard Ten, etc), or the Sadler's Wells line (either Sadler's Wells himself, Hurricane Run - with a word of disclaimer - I stand that stallion, Montjeu, Galileo). But, if you're really trying to decide between Midnightconfession or Canute, I'd go with Midnightconfession, because Canute, while he has a few turf winners, appears to be primarily a dirt sire.

Good luck with her, whatever you decide!

Laura
Matty Dubs
Eclipse Champion

Post by Matty Dubs »

Thanks for the quick response. I was not locked into anything, so the advice definitely helped. You also inadvertently answered my question of when Old Sim/New Sim changed, haha. But as you may or may not have seen, I did opt for Hurricane Run. I liked the Sadler's Wells plan, and when I combined my thankfulness for your response with the ability to pick an awesome name, Hurricane Run just won out.

So thanks again. Here's hoping the foal turns out half-decent!

*insert fingers crossed*
This is where a creative signature would go.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Very nice! Good luck with the new arrival!