Lovin' my old mare : )

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Lovin' my old mare : )

Post by Stormy Peak »

I have a 9 year old trotter mare, that I'm pretty proud of. She's been doing pretty well on the track this year. But in her last race, she tanked, so I decided that instead of racing her in a race before the SC race, I would just rest her and give her a work, and some other exercise leading up to the SC Race.

Awesome Abby

When I worked her, I was surprised at her rather fast time. She did a faster work than most (female) yearlings, 2, and 3 and 3+year olds!
Here's the record workout time for this year, female, 4 years and older. The fast time for a female 3 year old was 1:52:17

What's interesting is the mare in 1st place is 8 years old and by the same sire. : )
1. Made of Candy -- bl.m.8 -- Made of Awesome -- Christophe Desjardin ---- Year 44 Week 13 -- 1:52.04
2. Awesome Abby -- bl.m.9 -- Made of Awesome -- Stormy Peak -------------- Year 44 Week 14 -- 1:52.08
3. Bagpipes and Drums -- ch.f.4 -- Fighting Irish -- Ali Hedgestone ----------- Year 44 Week 2 -- 1:52.27
4. Closure -- br.m.6 -- Greyhound's Ghost -- Laura Cameron ------------------ Year 44 Week 13 -- 1:52.36

Awesome Abby was a gift to me from Hope Bentley, and when I got her, she was 7 years old and she hadn't raced for little over a year. I almost decided to retire her as a broodmare but thought I should at least run her for 1 year and try to make some money with her. She was doing well enough that I just kept racing her each year, as I was having fun with her and my barn was already bloated with foals and yearlings and I knew I had a good runner but it would be a coin toss as to if she would be a great broodmare or not. Of her 9 wins, 5 have been stakes and several have been allowance races.

Last year she finished 2nd in the SC Distaff Trot behind the then 4 year old mare, Forty Odd. I'm sure hoping this year she'll go down in history as one of the oldest mares to win that race : ) It will be a very hard thing to do though, being the oldest age so far has been age 5.

I wish broodmare's increased risk of dying while foaling could be moved up a few years, especially given that older mares can still be successful on the track well past age 4 or 5. :P

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000