Final Vote For SIMage

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

Vote for 1 horse that deserves a SIMage. There was a 3 way tie to get into the finals so i figured that Em, if she doesn't win the SIMage, will happily give her CAH to the next in line, cause I think that she can pretty much get them for free. :D

Voting Ends: Aug 17th at 10:30pm CST so we can annouce the winner in the Chat!

All are deserving of a head shot. It's a tough call to make! Good Luck Everyone!
Tasha Langley
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Tasha Langley »

*CROSSES FINGERS EVER SO TIGHTLY*
Rivendell Acres
Home to...

Aupollo - $1,000
Dreams Never Die - $10,000
King of Jesters - $35,000
Left Behind - $10,000
Sounds of Victory - $7,500
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I must have missed the vote for this in the first place. Sadness that my nominee didn't get in....
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Rayne Wyatt
Derby Contender

Post by Rayne Wyatt »

At the risk of getting boo'd at, can I just throw up the suggestion that the next time one of these is run it's limited to OWNERLESS horses only? One's who won't get SIMages unless won in one of these contests? As it is, I kinda see the current leader getting one someday anyway, because it's owner will probably buy it one - where as for example, Gentle, doesn't have an owner to give her one (edit: She's the only ownerless one above, but quite a few in the initial voting were).

Just a thought, it seems a bit of a shame to 'waste' a SIMage on a horse that will eventually get one anyways. When another worthy of one, won't get one because of it.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Two quick points:

Gentle isn't truly ownerless - all deceased horses are technically ownerless (don't get Ara started on this point, although I do like her SIM graveyard option). Em nominated her, and owned Gentle when she was alive. If I want to, I can buy a SIMage for one of my deceased horses, like Desert Darkness. So, your suggestion of limiting this to ownerless horses simply means only dead horses could be nominated. Ownerless and ability to sponsor are not necessarily connected. I didn't see any other ownerless horses nominated, but I may be overlooking someone.

I think the sponsors of this contest were extremely generous, and I hate to see anyone criticize an act of generosity. While the owner's financial circumstances is something that you can take into consideration when voting, if the people sponsoring the contest don't want to make this the equivalent of a need-based scholarship, but a merit-based scholarship, they are entitled to do so.

As always, my two cents,

Laura
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Eh, these are all deserving. I do think folks vote for their friends horses the most frequently in many of these contests/award polls, but I digress.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

I agree with Laura. $30 is a LOT of money to me right now and I can think of a hundred things that would be more useful for me to do with that money than buy a picture of a fake horse. Just because a horse HAS an owner, does not mean that owner has the means to buy a headshot, especially multiple headshots.

Note that not being able to afford it is not the actual reason I have no headshots (although it is a reason), so please nobody try to be generous and buy me one. :)

Dave knows that what I say has nothing to do with his artistic ability, since I love seeing the headshots and think he does a great job. Em knows about my myriad of issues so I'm not meaning to insult anybody. :)

Also, in regards to voting for your friends, etc...if I had voted that way, I'd have voted for Rainy's granddaughter Gentle. As it is, I voted for Lucrezia Borgia, because she is incredibly awesome, not because Scott is my friend. I believe most, if not all, of the owners of those horses are my friends.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Nathan Sellers
Turf Router

Post by Nathan Sellers »

I think all of these horses are deserving of a head shot. I think it's totally fair to vote for your friends/family because there is no objective way to do a vote like this. I just think it's a great act of simkindness that Rob and Jolene are giving away a free heard shot to begin with.
Greatest $95,000
Winner of 9 Grade 1s!

Evenmoneyfavorite $25,000
25 Winners from 1st crop, including Betterbetdabestbet!

Sky of Mysteries $30,000
66% winners, Avg. Earnings = $ 38,000 & Sire of SC Sprint Champion Sky Ruler!

Daring $15,000
Lisa Strummer
Hall of Fame

Post by Lisa Strummer »

Ara Davies wrote: I agree with Laura.  $30 is a LOT of money to me right now and I can think of a hundred things that would be more useful for me to do with that money than buy a picture of a fake horse.  Just because a horse HAS an owner, does not mean that owner has the means to buy a headshot, especially multiple headshots.

Note that not being able to afford it is not the actual reason I have no headshots (although it is a reason), so please nobody try to be generous and buy me one. :)

Dave knows that what I say has nothing to do with his artistic ability, since I love seeing the headshots and think he does a great job.  Em knows about my myriad of issues so I'm not meaning to insult anybody. :)

Also, in regards to voting for your friends, etc...if I had voted that way, I'd have voted for Rainy's granddaughter Gentle.  As it is, I voted for Lucrezia Borgia, because she is incredibly awesome, not because Scott is my friend.  I believe most, if not all, of the owners of those horses are my friends.
I agree. I think it's very generous of Rob and Jolene to do this, and some people just may not be able to spend $30 on a SIM Headshot. And I think for as long as I've been playing this game, which is exactly one month today, I've picked up that everybody is pretty friendly with everybody, so I have a hunch people will vote for who they really want to see get a headshot. That's just my two cents....

In the meantime, I am agonizing over my final vote.... :(
That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.-Bryan Doolittle
Rayne Wyatt
Derby Contender

Post by Rayne Wyatt »

Okay, apparently I poorly phrased what I said. I wasn't criticising the generosity of the players involved, merely making a suggestion for anyone thinking about doing something similar. (And yes, ownerless was the wrong word too).

Meh.

I just wanted to make the suggestion that DECEASED horses get a chance... They're not being promoted (as stud, racer, whatever), so they're probably lower on the list of who an owner would choose to give a SIMage too... (I guess, in the long run, stuff like the Hall of Fame does that, so meh).

I'm not gunna say anymore on the subject.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

On the other hand, how much attention does a deceased horse get? I think it makes more sense to buy headshots for horses that people actually look at on a regular basis. If I *were* going to buy a headshot, it'd probably be for Everest, since I imagine he actually gets looked at, as opposed to, say, Rain Dancer or Sports Jersey or even Conduit.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

ONLY 2 DAYS LEFT TO VOTE!!!! Don't go uncounted!! (is uncounted a word?)
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

Voting Ends TOMORROW!! Don't Miss out on Voting!!! Lucrezia seems to be fading in the stretch, which Throne Closing Rapidly. Gentle is hanging and Whileaworldsleeps seems to be far back with Left Behind. Right hand Man seems to have tired after making a little middle move.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

Lucrezia wins! A Headshot for Lucrezia Borgia shall be ordered by Rob. I've got 2 CAH's to Ali LaDuke, 1 CAH to Susie Raisher, Tasha Langly and Laura Pony. These GP's are deducted from my account. ;)

Thanks For Playing everyone!!
Tasha Langley
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Tasha Langley »

Thank you so much, Jolene! :D
Rivendell Acres
Home to...

Aupollo - $1,000
Dreams Never Die - $10,000
King of Jesters - $35,000
Left Behind - $10,000
Sounds of Victory - $7,500