Get To Know Your Fellow SIMsters

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Re: Get To Know Your Fellow SIMsters

Post by Nena Olson »

PERSONAL

What is your player name in the game? (If different from your forum name, what name should one look for if they want to sent you an in-game message?)
Nena Olson

Is your player name different from your real life name?
Last name is different

How old are you?

What is/was your occupation?
Graphic Designer

Want to tell us a little about your family?
I'm the oldest child in a family that consists of a mom & dad and younger sister.

Where do you live?
Wisconsin

Any hobbies or passions, beyond SIM, that you want to share?
Animals/Art/Video Games

REAL LIFE HORSES/HORSE RACING

Are you a racing fan or are/have otherwise been involved in horse racing?
I am a very big racing fan! I started following racing when I was a little girl and read The Black Stallion. The first race I remember watching on TV was Go for Gin in the Kentucky Derby in 1994 when I was 11 years old. I watched every single race that was on TV since that time. When the Internet became a thing in my house, I became even MORE of a fan. Serena's Song/Cigar/Silver Charm were my first favorites.

Have you met any famous racehorses up close?
I was within 6 feet (estimating) of Dortmund at Del Mar... does that count? Outside of that, I haven't met any famous or non famous racehorses :(

What’s the greatest race(s) you’ve ever attended, or is otherwise the most memorable that you attended?
I went to the Claiming Crown once at Canterbury Park and I saw Dortmund win the Native Diver Handicap in November 2015 @ Del Mar

Do you have a favorite racehorse(s)?
Lots lol

SIM
What game year did you join the SIM?
Y17

What are the things that you particularly enjoy about the SIM?
I found this game via Thoroughbred Champions Forum way back in the day (2006) and so I have known some Simsters for a longggggggg time (Final Turn days lol) so my favorite part of the SIM is the community. Some of my best friends are simsters!

Do you have a specific goal in mind?
Win a Triple Crown race/Arc/SC Classic or Turf

Do you feel you have a particular knack in the game?
AW Milers

What do you find most frustrating about the game?
When you get a blue hen G1 winning mare who you thought would be your big ticket and then she is a dud in the breeding shed (looking at you, Prayers).

What is your overall feeling about changes in the game, over the time you’ve been a player?
I'm still not a fan of Proxy Bidding and gallops being delayed but overall, I am okay.

What breed/distance/surface divisions do you play? Do you intend to get involved in additional ones, or drop any?
All of them minus a few mixer divisions

Do you have a favorite division?
AW Milers break my heart the least

Is there a particular horse that you feel was the key to your success in SIM?
Battlenote! He was my first major horse and got me into All Weather milers.

Is there a particular race you’ve won that you were particularly proud or gratified to win?
Steward's Cup Distaff even though I was 100% convinced I was going to lose so didn't even stick around that night to listen to the live call. Danny Derby text me a congratulations and I thought he was trying to be a jerk LOL and didn't believe him.

If you’ve thought about leaving the game (or have left and returned), what makes you stay, or prompted you to return?
I threaten to jump off of a SIM bridge a LOT. What makes me stay is that 1) Em would probably hunt me down/make me feel bad about quitting/be sad and 2) It's my job... it would be awkward to work at a place that you were a member of and quit..

What do you think other players would be the most surprised to know about you as a player?
Um... I have never had more than $3.5 mil in my SIM bank account. True story.

What do you want most from the SIM?
To win a dang Triple Crown race and have a top tier stallion in dirt/turf route that people use!
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Ashley Hunt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Hunt »

Dan Kauffman wrote:I would imagine the horse's lower center of gravity really helps with those barrel race turns.
It can help for sure, but I've also got a mare that measures 15.2 1/2 and she gets lower then my palomino. It just really depends on the horse.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

PERSONAL

What is your player name in the game? (If different from your forum name, what name should one look for if they want to sent you an in-game message?)
The Steward

Yes, because no one calls me Steward in real life

How old are you?
31 :-(

What is your highest level of education?
"Some college" - 3 1/2 years then I nope'd my way out. BEST decision I ever made for myself. I still have college nightmares.

Journalist, photographer, some TV stuff

I have twin about to be 3 year olds. That's a lot of toddler.

Where do you live?
California

Music, travel, riding, running, being injured, having surgeries for being injured

What have you done in your life that you’re the most proud of, or that makes you feel the most joyous?
I rode Lava Man

What is your most outstanding personal trait?
I really genuinely love to make people happy... kinda like a puppy

Yeah.... been a writer for it for 10 almost 11 years and TV/photog person for 9, and before that and during that I groomed and hotwalked.

All of them, really.

What’s the greatest race(s) you’ve ever attended, or is otherwise the most memorable that you attended?
Zenyatta's 09 Classic

Zenyatta, Giacomo, Tiago, Silver Charm, Cavonnier, Midnight Aria

If you aren’t a fan of horse racing, what made you want to play the SIM?
Oh gawd I would never play the SIM.

If you weren’t a fan of horse racing when you joined the SIM, have you become interested in the sport since you started playing?
Sometimes when something awful happens and I lose a horse I loved or worked with I want to quit the sport, but figure I can't if I'm going to keep running the SIM.

Are you/have you been involved in other equine activities?
I do dressage and hunter/jumper but not since I got hurt.

SIM
Year 1

The Derby and Steward's Cup

Keep it running forever!

Being bossy

Putting in weeks and months of work and immediately getting rejected because change is scary

What is your overall feeling about changes in the game, over the time you’ve been a player?
Everything is done with an eye on growing and evolving.

What breed/distance/surface divisions do you play? Do you intend to get involved in additional ones, or drop any?
They don't let me play :-(

Derby division

Cadeauje

Is there a particular race you’ve won that you were particularly proud or gratified to win?
I cried when Maelstrom won the Triple Crown

If you’ve thought about leaving the game (or have left and returned), what makes you stay, or prompted you to return?
Google didn't offer enough money to buy it ;-)

What do you think other players would be the most surprised to know about you as a player?
Everyone thinks I "hate" Steeplechasing or Quarter Horses or All Weather, but really I have horses I follow and enjoy in all those divisions too

Live streaming video with round the clock simulcast hosts
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

PERSONAL

GiGi Gofaster

Thankfully, yes.

How old are you?

Master's degree. I spent 8 years not finishing a PhD.

I'm a college administrator. I'm mostly all about data.

I have a handsome, doting husband who cooks really well, and two great but smelly teenage kids.

Where do you live?
Postcard town on Puget Sound.

Eventing and hiking.

What have you done in your life that you’re the most proud of, or that makes you feel the most joyous?
I ran the London Marathon. And my kids. My kids make me proud.

Although people think I'm scary, I really am very compassionate. That said, I'm no doormat either.

Yes. My dad took be to harness races as a kid, and I worked in MD racing as a teenager, mainly prepping yearlings for sales. We had horses in syndicates here for a while, but I brought too many home and my husband made me quit.

Run the Gantlet stood at a farm where I prepped yearlings; he was a very regal horse. I met Grindstone not long ago too, and my parents took me to see Kelso.

Desert Orchid's last race.

Too many to mention I think. I adored Oh Say, but I guess Kelso is my favorite.

I ride eventing now, but I find it terrifying.

SIM
year 28

I've met a lot of really great people!

No, not really. I love having a good horse and winning big races, so I guess I try and have a good one every couple of years.

No, not at all. In fact, I'm certain that I don't.

There are a few little things, but nothing worth really being frustrated about. It is a game, after all.

The only thing I don't like is the new gallop stuff. I barely gallop my horses now because I don't want to lose the record of what they did on the tables pages. It drives me nuts that if I don't keep up with it, I'll have to open each horse's individual page to find out which ones were stakes, allowance, claimer, or whatever.

Dirt sprint, trotters, a little turf sprint, and chasers. Happy with those.

Dirt sprint for sure.

Look Like A King. Not only was he a blast to race, he earns loads in stud fees.

Any time I win the sprint champs I'm thrilled, but winning the Desert Sprint with Look Like A King's son was really special. Coming in second that year was a nice bonus too.

I think about leaving from time to time, but then I have another drink and send some horses to AJ and it's all better. It's only when I have to much rubbish in my barns.

I'm really not that surprising. Very much 'what you see is what you get'.

Secretly, I'd like to win the derby, but since I don't race routers its not likely. Maybe one day I'll splach out on a good one and see what happens.
"I was afraid of Gigi, it was true." Oh yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid...
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
Matt Feldman
Turf Router

Post by Matt Feldman »

PERSONAL

Same

The joys of having a pretty generic name!

How old are you?

Post-Grad (a/k/a over-educated)

Project Manager for an investment firm

Married, two middle school kids, two cats, one dog

Where do you live?
The 'burbs outside New York

Besides driving my kids around to all their activities? I love fantasy sports (see below in the Sim section), following the Devils, Mets, and Giants, and reading Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Being able to give my kids all the opportunities that I never had growing up.

If someone has earned my trust, they can count of me for anything. That applies personally and professionally

Not really a fan. I used to go to Belmont once in a while with my dad growing up, and then Yonkers or the Meadowlands (Standardbreds) with friends in college for something different to do.

Not that I know of.

Do you have a favorite racehorse(s)? Funny Cide (the whole NY underdog thing)

I love playing fantasy baseball and football (and even hockey on occasion), and I was looking for something similar but different that was year round, on-line, and had some depth to it. A little googling, and somehow I stumbled on the SIM.

If you weren’t a fan of horse racing when you joined the SIM, have you become interested in the sport since you started playing?
Not really, since they are so different.

Are you/have you been involved in other equine activities? None.

SIM
What game year did you join the SIM? 2011

What are the things that you particularly enjoy about the SIM? I love the game's internal history and stats. Sometimes I just start clicking on a horse and try to figure out what an owner or breeder did in terms of decision making that lead up to what I see - breeding, training, sales, etc. Its amazing that all that information is so easy to find for generations.

Do you have a specific goal in mind? Win a Steward's Cup with a Thoroughbred that I bred.

Do you feel you have a particular knack in the game? Not at all! I feel I understand the basis of the game well enough, but I can't stop thinking of the business side of things, and without throwing $IM around (which I am loath to do, even though its just a game), its hard to improve with getting very lucky.

What do you find most frustrating about the game? If you play long enough, its easy to reach the SIM "middle class", but its very hard to break into upper levels since it takes great mares, and of course the long-time players who have most of them just by building their stables for years aren't going to give them up for nothing.

What is your overall feeling about changes in the game, over the time you’ve been a player? I can't say that I like all the changes (especially since my time for the SIM comes in waves of lots of time and no time at all, which hurts the consistency for training), but I love the fact that the game never becomes stale, and all the depth that is being added.

What breed/distance/surface divisions do you play? Do you intend to get involved in additional ones, or drop any? TB dirt miler and routers, and trotters. I have a few paint routers, and if I ever get up the energy, they will be my next investment of time.

Do you have a favorite division? Dirt Milers. While they are pretty competitive, the big names from the other divisions have limited exposure, and its nice not to have to worry about figuring out the exact right distance.

Is there a particular horse that you feel was the key to your success in SIM? I was given trotter I'm Hot to Rock as a gift when I was new, and he went on to win the Stewards Cup, which meant I didn't have the same worries about $IM the way many new players do. Unfortunately, he didn't produce a successor or any great mares for me, so it was one and done and my trotters now are very average.

Is there a particular race you’ve won that you were particularly proud or gratified to win? Ms. Pac Man won the Stewards' Cup Distaff Trot, my second and last Steward's Cup win, and the only one I bred. Too bad that was back in Year 38!

I do think about leaving every now and again, mainly because I often feel like my stable is stuck where it is. I don't leave because the SIM still provides what I was originally looking for - a game to follow at my own pace, with my time constraints but that has depth.

Um, that I actually do try to improve? :P

I'd love to win a Triple Crown race, but that isn't realistic, especially since I haven't invested with that goal in mind. I'd more than settle for breeding a Steward Cup winning dirt miler.
Act Out Multiple Grade 1 Winning Dirt Miler - $10,000

Many Names Multiple Grade 1 Winning Dirt Miler - $10,000
Randall Allen
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Randall Allen »

Last edited by Randall Allen 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

Madelene Gilbert wrote:
Sunny, happy, outgoing personality. At least, that's what everyone tells me.
Except for when some crazy lady makes her look at 100+ horses at a sale.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Ashley Hunt wrote:
Dan Kauffman wrote:I would imagine the horse's lower center of gravity really helps with those barrel race turns.
It can help for sure, but I've also got a mare that measures 15.2 1/2 and she gets lower then my palomino. It just really depends on the horse.
Stingray is tiny and she does pretty well for herself ;)
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Ashley Hunt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Hunt »

Louise Bayou wrote:
Ashley Hunt wrote:
Yes she does, very well! So does Baby Flo!
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Ashley Hunt wrote:
Louise Bayou wrote:
Ashley Hunt wrote:
I like those girls but give me Louie any day! He is dreamy
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

Melissa Mae wrote:
Madelene Gilbert wrote:
Sunny, happy, outgoing personality. At least, that's what everyone tells me.
Except for when some crazy lady makes her look at 100+ horses at a sale.
For the record, I beg crazy lady to take me to look at 100+ horses at a sale. And non-sunny, happy, outgoing me means I have low blood sugar and you should give me cookies. ;)
Dan Kauffman
Hall of Fame

Post by Dan Kauffman »

Me: "Hey honey, what's my most outstanding personal trait?"
Wife: ".............................."
Me: "Love you too, honey!"
‹Ali Hedgestone› Oh you get addicted to the crack after a while.
This spot reserved for my super-amazing TR stallion come Year 136.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

PERSONAL

Same

Yes, though at any sim gathering I think everyone calls me Bay or Lou and I answer like its my real name lol

How old are you?

I'd rather not say but I will admit to being around when dirt was invented :)

School of hard knocks, aka backside of south Louisiana race tracks

Emergency dispatcher for police,fire, ambulance

1 brother, a niece that I ADORE with my every fiber. She will have me broke for the rest of my life!

Where do you live?

South Louisiana, take a left at the alligator and then a right down by the bayou

Quarter horse racing, tailgating, enjoying life in south Louisiana. We know how to "pass a good time cher"

Working with my Mom who trained race horses her whole life. She was actually the first woman in Louisiana to have her trainers license and I think that is pretty darn cool.

I think I'm a very good friend. I'll do more for a friend than I will for myself.

I was given a horse the day I was born so yea I have been hooked since birth.lol My mom trained Quarter horses and a few sprinter TBs all of her life. My childhood was filled with awesome days of helping her live out her dream that soon became ours. She was a fierce fighter for her horses and always put them first. Early on she had to be the "unofficial' trainer because GASP a woman can't train racehorses! She missed out on sending a horse to the All American Futurity because the investors wanted to drug him and she wouldn't be listed as the trainer. The owner pulled out of the deal at the demand of my Mom, not because of not getting credit but because of the drugs. Very proud moment.

Yep! Most famous is probably Beholder aka The Queen B. I've been super lucky to spend lots of time with her since she was 2. I've also met the equine love of my life Pleasantly Perfect several times..swoon, I love him. Also met Animal Kingdom, who is as dreamy as his trainer! ;) And both are really sweet to boot.

Greatest is probably the 2013 BC Distaff that Beholder won. That field was full of amazing fillies/mares. Most memorable would be Beholders Pacific Classic win. She was training like a beast up to that race and looked amazing. Her move on the turn still brings tears to my eyes to watch. We call that her road runner move because she was just gone.lol Also saw AP win the Triple Crown with a bunch of Simsters. We all screamed, cried and hugged total strangers that day..it was a great day.

QH: Flying Breed, who my mom trained and Be a Bono (I have a set of his shoes!). TB: Beholder, Pleasantly Perfect,Silverbulletday,Winning Colors, Afleet Alex

Not an online gamer, found this because it was racing

I loved to turn my mom's race horses in to barrel horses.lol Been involved with horses my whole life. Western all the way!

SIM

Y25

It's horse racing so its hard to make me not like it.

For the longest time I did not. I just enjoy winning races. But the longer I play the more I want the big Grade 1's! I've yet to win any of the SC route races so that is a big goal. The SC Turf would be awesome. I also for some crazzzzy reason got in to dirt routers in the last few years. I want to win a big dirt route race. Brilliantly won the G1 Arcadia Million recently and that was huge for me!

Hmm I'd like to think I'm doing decently. I have lots of things that I want to get done so I'm always feeling behind in the game.

Trying to "catch up" to the veteran players. Always need more money, better horses

I hate the new time/date thing. I have eye issues that make the numbered days very hard for me. I've already broken a horse because of it. But as a whole I think its mind blowing what has been done with this game. There honestly can't be anything better

I'm a freak and play them all. lol I'm not one to get 1 good horse in a division and want to drop the others. A good horse is a good horse no matter what division they happen to be in. Give them ALL to me mawhahahaha

Probably turf routers. That being said I've had the most luck in turf sprinters. I've won 4 SC turf sprint races and finished 2nd or 3rd several times.

Gumbeaux Queen gave me my first SC win. I was helping a player who ask if I wanted a foal from her good mare or Sim cash as payment...always go for the good mare! And I picked the breeding that resulted in Gumbeaux Queen. Also Formosa who started my love of turf routers. Kevin was leaving and offered her to me as a newbie. I was SO excited to have her and she was amazing.

When Sweet Mary Lou won the Bunburette I cried like a baby. She is named after my mom that passed away. Also when Brilliantly won the Arcadia Million. That is my first big dirt route win. And I wanted him since the Steward bred him so to have him step up was huge.

You will have to pry my fake horses out of my cold dead hands! I've worked way to hard on my barn to give it up. That being said, I do have a Sim will if anything happens to me. Its in my stable notes.lol

I think I'm a pretty what you see is what you get kind of a girl

I've made life long friends here in the Sim. We have traveled the country to see each other and with each other. And we've seen a Triple Crown winner in person together...Can't ask for much more than that.

Would you like to share a photo of yourself?

Me and Beholder!
Last edited by Louise Bayou 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

PERSONAL

Same

Very different...Mary Lou

How old are you?
I'll be 62 in a couple of months

Still working on it

Was on the racetrack (hotwalker, groom) from 1971-1995. Presently a jeweller specializing in repairs and restringing.

I'm the youngest of 4 kids, with only my sister and I still living. My father gave me my love of all animals and my sister (whom I adore) gave me my love of horses.

Where do you live?
Toronto, Ontario Canada

I'm rather crafty and artsy...macrame and photography at the top.

Anything I did, I worked hard and produced the best results possible. Nothing half fast.

Stubborn (you didn't ask for best, right?)

In 1964 my family moved to Fort Erie into a house halfway between the 5/8 and 3-4 pole. Spend every summer watching the horses go by!

I was on the rail with my sister when they paraded Northern Dancer before moving him to Maryland.
I met Seattle Slew in his stall the day before they shipped him to the farm to retire, an amazing animal in motion.

In spite of seeing many Queen's Plates, I was more drawn to the International, with my strongest memory being Secretariat's last race.

Northern Dancer....the little horse from Canada literally changed the face of horse racing across the globe!

It was something I once shared with a friend.

Once owned an Arabian. (They said he was 3/4 Arab, but if so, the other quarter was some draft breed, lol). He did have a lovely dish face

SIM
Late year 21

The breeding and seeing the results, good or bad

I'm presently trying to break into dirt routers

Turf routers

Proxy bidding.....grrrr....

I can get used to just about anything, it just takes time

Turf/dirt route, dirt/turf sprint and steeplechasing (I periodically drop these, then buy more). I have a couple of quarter horses, but like chasers, these tend to be disposable to me.

Turf route, with dirt sprinting a close second (thanks to Ominous Spiritus and her family)

Jabberwocky, no doubt. Home bred SC Turf winner!

SC Turf Sprint, my first Gr 1 win and with a horse I paid $1k from Alexandra Jaysman, Fishing the Keys

I think about leaving every other day, but I give my head a shake and carry on!

I'm not a man, lol. I'm always surprised that people don't check out your profile before doing business you.

I want to breed a filly as nice as my good colts, lol
Ashley Hunt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Hunt »

Louise Bayou wrote:
Ashley Hunt wrote:
Louise Bayou wrote:
I like those girls but give me Louie any day! He is dreamy
Who doesn't want Louie?! He just knows his job and you know that they're going to having a SMOKING run if Lisa has to lift her leg on the first barrel!