Help! Mare & Possible Stallion

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Rebecca Cass
Turf Router

Post by Rebecca Cass »

I picked <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=21558' target='_blank'>If Angels Sang</a> in Laura's very generous mare lease and would like some ideas on who to send her to? I’m on a budget so my options are rather limited, the highest stud fee I’ve seriously considered so far is 12,500 to give you an idea of where I’m at. I’ve looked at various stallions (Deathdefying, American Baby, El Corredor, Harlington, It’s okay to Live and Brave the War) to name a few. Not sure if I’m on the right path with any of those or not, so help please!

Also just curious if there would be any interest in <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=28567' target='_blank'>Raven Skies</a> should I retire him this year. Thinking of giving him another race just to see if he’s really backing off or if I made a bad race choice.

Thanks!
Rob Canterbury
Eclipse Champion

Post by Rob Canterbury »

Whta are you asking about Raven Skies..any interest in what? If you are askign about whether it is a good enough horse to go to stud then I would say NO... There are 500 horses at stud and nothing about this horse stands out that would make it marketable for others... Bu this has been discussed at length in countless other posts..

if you are interested in other trainers opinions about what makes for a good stud, feel free to ask.

If you were asking something different I apologize as I may be misunderstanding your question.

If it were me I would geld the horse and run it another year so you can continue to support your barn with a horse that earns money!
Live Strong- Baltimore crown champion- dirt route
Its a Gamble--MONSTER!
Afriad to Lead-- SC winner
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

There are LOTS of sons of Giant's Causeway available for stud. I'd just geld him so you won't be tempted to breed to him. He's got 2 wins.. only 2! They were a Maiden and An Allowance. Geld him! We don't need his bloodlines and he's not a stakes winner.

As for the Mare, you might try Hap. Her theatrical ran well once it got to the turf (3-1-1-1) and Hap is underrated i think, most of his foals have earnings. He's only $5,500. The cross is 4x3 to Northern Dancer and 4x4 to Boldnesian which is cool! you don't get that inbreeding much. LOL
Anna Leroux
Hall of Fame

Post by Anna Leroux »

Unless he's proven himself on the track, or has proven offspring I'm simply not interested in a stallion. This stallion should be gelded, and kept racing, he'll make you more money that way.
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

I'm new at this stuff too, so this is just as much for my benefit as for yours...

To start off, <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=29744' target='_blank'>Hurricane Relief</a> is the best runner out of this mare yet, a winner, and competitive in stakes. His father is a little out of your range, and it would be boring to do a full copy anyway (IMO). But he has an uncle I like - <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=18502' target='_blank'>Motivator</a> should be affordable to you, and he has some winners.

However, for this one, you might want a new cross - something like <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=17242' target='_blank'>Shining</a>. It's a gamble, of course, as he's a brand new stallion. But that Xett seems to know what he's doing, and it's only a 7,000 gamble.

Other ideas - if you can do a game points stallion, Dynaformer has a good turf cross with a Seattle Slew mare with X Marks The Spot. And Deathdefying would be a solid choice - he hasn't been crossed with a Seattle Slew mare yet, but he's been a successful sire for the price so far, and seems to match up with what I'd be looking for with this mare regarding surface/distance.

Good luck, whatever you choose!
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

I like Negative Six a lot. <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=18340' target='_blank'>http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php ... D=18340</a>

He's newly retired and very cheap at $5k. He also brings in Storm Cat through No Tears Here/Giant's Causeway.
Frayed - $75,000
Liveinthemoment - $25,000
Same - $10,000
It's Been Awhile - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

I am a full believer of the "When In Doubt, Blatantly Copy Success" philosophy. The way I would handle it is this:

1. Write a 500 word article on one of the big stakes races coming up in week 14 (Jockey Club, Super Derby, a myriad of others).

2. With the extra money, breed to Hurricane Run, make it a filly, and it should work out. Then after her fourth year, retire your (hopefully stakes) winner and breed her to the sexiest stallion you can afford.

I know this requires some effort and some work, but I'd rather figure out a way to afford the proven commodity than speculate every time.

Or you could do what Sarah says. I often do.
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.
Nathan Sellers
Turf Router

Post by Nathan Sellers »

Scott Eiland wrote: I am a full believer of the "When In Doubt, Blatantly Copy Success" philosophy. The way I would handle it is this:

1. Write a 500 word article on one of the big stakes races coming up in week 14 (Jockey Club, Super Derby, a myriad of others).

2. With the extra money, breed to Hurricane Run, make it a filly, and it should work out.  Then after her fourth year, retire your (hopefully stakes) winner and breed her to the sexiest stallion you can afford.

I know this requires some effort and some work, but I'd rather figure out a way to afford the proven commodity than speculate every time.

Or you could do what Sarah says.  I often do.
Haha...I love this. :D

It's interesting how The Feature Race can make money problems the smallest of your concerns. I mean, it may take you a while to earn a stud fee for Ghostzapper, but Megan Grant, I'm sure, is well on her way.
Greatest $95,000
Winner of 9 Grade 1s!

Evenmoneyfavorite $25,000
25 Winners from 1st crop, including Betterbetdabestbet!

Sky of Mysteries $30,000
66% winners, Avg. Earnings = $ 38,000 & Sire of SC Sprint Champion Sky Ruler!

Daring $15,000
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

Nathan Robert wrote: Haha...I love this.  :D

It's interesting how The Feature Race can make money problems the smallest of your concerns.  I mean, it may take you a while to earn a stud fee for Ghostzapper, but Megan Grant, I'm sure, is well on her way.
I wouldn't say the "smallest" of concerns...I've written dozens of articles, and I'm still having trouble lining up the stallions I want for the money I have.

But then again, I've been buying a lot of horses from the sales pages, too. My money from my last article, written last night, was gone by 9am this morning. I guess even winning the lottery wouldn't solve some people's money problems. :rolleyes:
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Rebecca Cass
Turf Router

Post by Rebecca Cass »

Hmm interesting, thanks for the opinions!