Dance Smartly - Not Good News

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

The old girl was put down this weekend due to "irreperable injury".

<a href='http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing ... nized.aspx' target='_blank'>http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing ... ed.aspx</a>
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

Heartbreaking...

I'm no longer sulking, it's so much worse than that now.

<a href='http://samsonfarm.com/' target='_blank'>http://samsonfarm.com/</a> Nice close up of the big girl.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

Bri, you were the first person I thought of when I saw this. I'm so sorry. :(
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

- Bryan Doolittle
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Awful news. I found this article on Sam-Son's website and thought I'd share:

<a href='http://samsonfarm.com/news/news.shtml' target='_blank'>http://samsonfarm.com/news/news.shtml</a>
Mandy Saunders
Eclipse Champion

Post by Mandy Saunders »

~ Mandy ~

Click here to visit The Stallions of Lakeside!

Last updated: Year 26, Break - Wow, it's been awhile, I need to get on that, lol

RIP Shelly & June...I will love you, always.
Anna Leroux
Hall of Fame

Post by Anna Leroux »

so sad for both of them, but for Life's Magic the best way to go
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

No.
No.

Nonononononononono
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

Wow.. Daisy made the news. My local radio station was even wise enough to say "The racing world is mourning the loss of.."

Granted I'm confused about the stifle/knee comment but still.

Canadian Triple Crown champion Dance Smartly euthanized at age 19
August 21, 2007 - 17:27

MILTON, Ont. (CP) - Dance Smartly, the 1991 Canadian Triple Crown champion, has died after suffering an injury in her paddock.

She was euthanized on the weekend after suffering an irreparable injury related to an arthritic stifle joint in her knee. She was 19.

Bred in Ontario by Sam-Son Farm, Dance Smartly went undefeated in 1991 en route to winning the Queen's Plate, the Prince of Wales Stakes and Breeders' Stakes. She also became the first Canadian-bred horse to win a Breeders' Cup race that year.

A granddaughter of legendary racehorse Northern Dancer, she was inducted into the Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame in 1995.

"Dance Smartly was a once-in-a-lifetime horse," Sam-Son Farm president Tammy Samuel-Balaz said in a statement. "She was magic and gave us incredible thrills as both a racehorse and a broodmare.

"While we were fortunate enough to have bred and owned her, she truly was Canada's horse."
LaDonna King
Eclipse Champion

Post by LaDonna King »

Laura Smith wrote: No.
No.

Nonononononononono

it...
there are children who read these post....
S.C. Burns

Post by S.C. Burns »

LaDonna King wrote:
Laura Smith wrote: No.
No.

Nonononononononono

Goddamn it...
there are children who read these post....
And their parents should be reading it with them, and thus buffering anything which they would deem offensive.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Ladonna has a very valid point. There are a lot of 9 and 10 year olds on this game. I doubt their parents play the SIM with them.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

The law is different everywhere, but most online companies do not allow those under 13 to participate in any function that allows for open communication. Myspace is a great example and they have been put through the ringer for having lax controls on this.

If someone under 13 is being allowed on an open forum, then their parents should expect some level of unfiltered commentary. If they are being allowed to open accounts without parent permission, then it is a whole different can of worms.

For the record, what was said is a whole lot cleaner than the average exclamation of concern or anger on just about any school playground. But I digress.

-Daryl
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

I didn't let my son on the forum until I had been here a few weeks, and I was duly convinced it was "safe". By safe, I don't mean naughty-word free. And I don't think naughty words are why myspace was put through the ringer, either. I'm certainly not speaking for every parent who has a younger child who plays this game, but Daryl is right - he hears much worse on the playground.

For the record, my son rarely comes to the forum, if at all. And if swearing is the worst thing he ever does, he'll be a saint in my book.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

Oh, Myspace definitely got put through the ringer for other reasons. But it started completely with their tacit allowance of children to open accounts so long as they don't list themselves as being underage. Once those who shouldn't be on open forums are allowed there, then it becomes very difficult to shield them from the things that society (or a parent) has decided that they should not experience (though I am not sure that the term in question even qualifies).

Sure, I don't really want profanity-laced diatribes on things like sortable columns to become commonplace. That is mainly because profanity, when overused, loses its meaning. Still, as they say "It isn't the horses that are real, it is the emotions!" Plus, in this case, the horse was real too!

-Daryl
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

Daryl Dennis wrote: For the record, what was said is a whole lot cleaner than the average exclamation of concern or anger on just about any school playground. But I digress.
When I was nine or ten, the worst words I knew were "poop" and "crap". And I grew up in a military household.

Maybe I was just stupid.
- The Steward

- Bryan Doolittle