whatever happened to this being like real life racing

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
440 Racing Barn
Eclipse Champion

whatever happened to this being like real life racing

Post by 440 Racing Barn »

now u dont even have to look at pedagrees to breed nice babys u just have to have moenys to buy a stud from strewie and dont have to put any thinking in it at all because u wont get a bad one boy is this a joke
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Re: whatever happened to this being like real life racing

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

I feel you Jeff, most of my homebred studs are useless.
If you were lucky enough to grab a holiday stud you are golden.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

I'm one of those lucky ones who still gets claimers, solids and productives from the Holiday sales studs - so to me, it's still pretty realistic. I wish they were all "good ones" but my luck doesn't run like that.

Realistic enough for me, I guess, I wouldn't want to have to wait a long time for foals to be born, or yearlings to be galloped. I did buy a holiday stud but unfortunately I'm not feeling golden because of it.

I think in order to diversify people will eventually be returning to all of the regular studs.

**Disclaimer - I don't want to give the impression all of my holiday stud foals galloped terrible. I got some good ones but not even close to *all* that I bred from them.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
440 Racing Barn
Eclipse Champion

i hear what both of u r saying i just like it when u use ur mind on breeding mares to studs and getting a good one it seems to me a lot more like real life racing when i firxt started out in game i would look for great mares and breed to runners in game it seems the game is going away from that
J.r. Lewis
Grade 3 Winner

Post by J.r. Lewis »

I'm not a real life horse person but my understanding is that the 120 limit was put in place to drive the SIM IN that direction and the holiday studs were provided to alleviate some of the initial stress of people not being able to all send to the top stud in a division as that was one of the biggest complaints that I remember, and still ongoing as we saw earlier this break. So in the end I think it will actually move towards what I suspect is a real life situation but it might take a little while to get there.
440 Racing Barn
Eclipse Champion

yea i understand that but why r they so much better then the other studs that is just wrong iknow we got tb in o improve r blloodlines but they were just like the qh studs r maybe a lil behind them so when u see the koilday studs throwing over 10 percent freaks and the great san paticio at 9 and studs like jetaway easy at under 5 something is wrong were going to loose all the game making studs i have a few studs that iam sending to greener pastures becauc=se they cant produce like the others not even close
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Unfortunately I think what you’re looking for will take time. The holiday studs were put into play to diversify the pedigrees. I’d love to see a few turf route studs put into play because, as much as I loved them in the beginning, I’m a wee bit sick of Tattered and Trafalgar. Our lines are so overwhelmed with them that it’s harder and harder to find and complete out crosses. Quarter sprinters are getting the same with your own Strike a Fire. Looking at them the last couple of seasons, I’ve seen it quite plainly. Like “T” and “T”, SaF has saturated the lines. The holiday studs, being unpedigreed, is exactly what we needed.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Nick Gilmore wrote: 6 years ago Unfortunately I think what you’re looking for will take time. The holiday studs were put into play to diversify the pedigrees. I’d love to see a few turf route studs put into play because, as much as I loved them in the beginning, I’m a wee bit sick of Tattered and Trafalgar. Our lines are so overwhelmed with them that it’s harder and harder to find and complete out crosses. Quarter sprinters are getting the same with your own Strike a Fire. Looking at them the last couple of seasons, I’ve seen it quite plainly. Like “T” and “T”, SaF has saturated the lines. The holiday studs, being unpedigreed, is exactly what we needed.
I think Jeff’s complaint is that the holiday studs were all better than all of the player bred studs already in the game. Way too overpowered in my opinion.

All the work we as breeders put into trying to breed a nice stud was instantly became basically useless once those 30 something holiday studs were placed into game.

I understand the diversity aspect of it, but the ratings of these studs was way too high.

It would be like instantly popping 4 or 5 James dean hypoing studs into the TB Dirt Route game.

Or a better example, place 3 or 4 SYM into the game.
Good luck getting outside mares with your TS studs then.

We already had enough freaks in mixers.
In 2 seasons we might have freak 2yo in claim races.
440 Racing Barn
Eclipse Champion

thank u pete that is exactely what i meant that is why iam making some races for all and under races because new players and even older players r breeding to my dtuds at say easy sixes at 35 k if u grt a all horse r lower u ##### ssoiam trying to help get some of there monies bsck i know i run alot of stakes horses in claiming race now
440 Racing Barn
Eclipse Champion

all is allawance sorry iam bad on cumputer
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Yes, but if Emily put in mediocre stock, who would use them. She had to make them attractive for the general population to even use them. Breed them bunnies back to your homebreds and I’ll bet dollars to donuts you’ll get the goods right back.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Nick Gilmore wrote: 6 years ago Yes, but if Emily put in mediocre stock, who would use them. She had to make them attractive for the general population to even use them. Breed them bunnies back to your homebreds and I’ll bet dollars to donuts you’ll get the goods right back.
You are Missing the point. They could have been on par with the best homebred studs and still been attractive. Not 10 times better.

It basically eliminated the homebred stud market from receiving outside mares for the next 8 or 9 seasons since these holiday studs are only 6.

Why go to a homebred stud who hypos flat a to only the best mares and gives you a 3-5 % freak rate when you can spend 10-15 more on a flat a and a+ producing 10% plus freak rate holiday stud. Especially when they are 3 new ones for each distance/division.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Well you had Strike a Fire who was the be all end all for YEARS. So welcome to "our" world.
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Strike a Fire, Inspired Jet Flash, and EC Jet One have the EXACT same rating at the same distance, so they weren't "10 times better."

The great Makers Mark was .4 better than any stallion I put in (that's pretty significant in this numbers game).

Of all the harness horses that were added, Cumberbatch is still 2.0 higher than any of them as a sire at a mile.

Hope that helps.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

I’d like to add that all of us should get used to the idea that there is always something better coming along. I have a couple of strong turf route studs in my barn. They don’t see a lot of action these days because the bulk of the people are looking for the next best thing. Admittedly, so am I, lol.

No one will have “the best” forever.