Rags To Riches

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Mandy Saunders
Eclipse Champion

Post by Mandy Saunders »

TVG has reported that Rags is out for the rest of the year and quite possibly retired. No news on why yet, I'm sure we'll hear more by the end of the day.

Boy, this sport can really suck sometimes.
~ Mandy ~

Click here to visit The Stallions of Lakeside!

Last updated: Year 26, Break - Wow, it's been awhile, I need to get on that, lol

RIP Shelly & June...I will love you, always.
Amy Alyssa
Turf Router

Post by Amy Alyssa »

Bloodhorse says that Pletcher says it is non career ending depending on her recovery. Worse injuries have come out a lot better! A shame though, and here's to hoping for a full recovery!
Amy Alyssa
Vet School + The Sim = ?
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

This truly sucks. :( Here's hoping she comes back, better than ever...
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Anna Leroux
Hall of Fame

Post by Anna Leroux »

<a href='http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=40817' target='_blank'>Rags</a> this is bloodhorse's article on her. Poor girl.
Sara Kendall
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Sara Kendall »

In my opinion.....she should be retired. Plain and simple. I feel that if she races again, she's gonna break COMPLETELY down! I think it's best for the welfare for this horse to be retired right now. I would hate to see her have to be put down because she raced again and broke completely down. That would be a damn shame. She's worth millions and millions of dollars and it's not worth the risk to run her again and have her break down. It seems to me that her connections are greedy and are not thinking of her safety and welfare. This ticks me off....I think she should be retired like now. Enough is enough in Rags' case here.

BTW....YES, I was the one saying that she shouldn't have been in the Belmont Stakes. But she won it and it turned out good, but this really ticks me off that they are EVEN thinking about running her in 2008!!!
Amy Alyssa
Turf Router

Post by Amy Alyssa »

I don't know how you can say that it is greedy for her connections to say "She's going to go to the nicest farm in America and recoup and if she's healed and sound she'll go back into training."

Horses have come back in good shape from a lot worse - and I'm sure if she's not 110%, she won't come back.
Amy Alyssa
Vet School + The Sim = ?
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

These people know what they are doing. She's worth a fortune. If there was even a chance that she would get hurt again, there's no way she'll race. Not to say that I think she WILL run again (I honestly don't, she's worth too much as a broodmare), but if she were to go ahead and try again next season, she would be perfectly safe. She's in good hands.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Mandy Saunders
Eclipse Champion

Post by Mandy Saunders »

You're flying off the deep end and panicking for what is a fairly common injury. Average horses have come back from a lot worse to retain their previous form, and Rags is beyond average. She's tough and strong, her owners would not race her if they thought she would die as a result. She's been raced sparringly in the past, I cannot see anything different for her 4yo campaign. She will be given plenty of time to heal, brought back into training gently, and raced sparringly as seen fit. They have already demonstrated their concern for her safety, having delayed her fall debut many times from minor things, I can only see a positive outcome of this.

Saying she should be retired immediately for a common, rather minor injury, is no better then those who retire young 3yo colts for little things like bone chips.
~ Mandy ~

Click here to visit The Stallions of Lakeside!

Last updated: Year 26, Break - Wow, it's been awhile, I need to get on that, lol

RIP Shelly & June...I will love you, always.
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

I've seen many horses come back from much worse injuries than that.

But she certainly wouldn't be running anymore if she was mine.

Best of luck to them whatever they decide to do.
Steph Lonhro
Hall of Fame

Post by Steph Lonhro »

I agree I have seen horses come back from worse

but wouldn't she be worth more as a broodmare rather then running any more risks on the track?

hopefully she heals up good
Selati(dirt miler) $15k NY
Lani(unspecified type) $30k in NY
Lead the Crowd(turf miler) $15k NY
Anna Leroux
Hall of Fame

Post by Anna Leroux »

No good horse owner would knowingly send their horse to the track if they don't think he's ready. That being said I do believe that Rags's owners will do their best for her and make a decision based on her to see how she overcomes the injury. I've seen worse and then seen them comeback. (ok rather read about comebacks from worse injuries in racing). So it is really up to what the vet, trainer and owner decide is best for her. Ultimately though it's up to Rags in a way. I'd love to see her bred of course who wouldn't! But at the same time if she acts like she WANTs to keep going and she's doing really good, I don't see why she shouldn't race.
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

As I was reading the article "Another One Bites The Dust" started playing through my head. No matter how used to injuries I get in this game, sometimes they just plain suck. If she's able to race again I hope they bring her back.
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

I just hope they let her decide. If she wants to run again, let her run. If not, let her retire. A horse will usually tell someone before they're done that they don't wanna any more. She's not healed yet. Let's hope that once she does, they'll listen to her wishes.