A Really Sad Day for Racing

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I was a HUGE Horatio Nelson fan. I woke up this morning full of hope that he would win the Derby today. I found out about an hour ago that he was euthanized.

Shed some light, Martin? Hurt
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Sara Kendall
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Sara Kendall »

Just read that.....man....what a darn shame :(
LaDonna King
Eclipse Champion

Post by LaDonna King »

Horatio Nelson Euthanized
by Blood-Horse Staff
Date Posted: 6/3/2006 3:33:05 PM
Last Updated: 6/3/2006 3:33:05 PM

Horatio Nelson, who stumbled and suffered a broken right foreleg about three-sixteenths of mile from the finish in Saturday's Vodafone English Derby (Eng-I) at Epsom, was euthanized.
Questions arose about the condition of the Irish-bred son of Danehill because jockey Kieren Fallon had expressed concern about the colt's warm-up prior to entering the starting stall. Horatio Nelson held up the race for several minutes while he was trotted around under the watchful eye of trainer Aidan O'Brien before being allowed to race.

Dr. Peter Webbon, chief executive of the Horseracing Regulatory Authority, told Racing Post that he was confident that Horatio Nelson was fit to run.

A grim Fallon, who gave up his final mount of the day and left the track early, said: "He was a bit stiff but he was fine when he trotted off. I don't know at what stage it happened I just heard his leg snap and it's very upsetting."

Fallon pulled Horatio Nelson up shortly after the colt was slightly squeezed between race favorite Visindar and Hala Bek in the straight while making a move inside the two-furlong mark.

Vets and the horse ambulance arrived on the scene immediately but determined that the colt had sustained a fractured leg.

In making the announcement, Webbon, previously the Jockey Club's veterinary director, reported: "(Horatio Nelson) was taken in an ambulance to the treatment center where several X-rays were taken. They revealed major injuries to his right foreleg. He had fractured a cannon bone, a sesamoid bone, and dislocated a fetlock joint.

"There were open wounds and damage to the blood vessels, nerves and ligaments around the joint which were already potentially infected. Five veterinary surgeons were there and they were of the unanimous opinion that the situation was hopeless and it was in the horse's best interests to put him down."

One of the vets, Jenny Hall, was present before the race when Fallon registered his concern.

Webbon told Racing Post, "Hall discussed the situation with Aidan O'Brien, the trainer, and both were satisfied that the horse was fit to compete. Hall is an extremely experienced vet and O'Brien is an extremely experienced trainer and they would not have allowed the horse to run if they thought its life was being put at risk."

Horatio Nelson's part owner John Magnier expressed satisfaction with the horse's treatment. The colt, who was also owned by Mrs. David Nagle, was a three-time group winner including a victory in the Prix Jean-Luc Lagardere (Fr-I) at Longchamp in October. He won four of seven in his career and earned $488,433.

The HRA planned no further inquiry into the breakdown
LaDonna King
Eclipse Champion

Post by LaDonna King »

i just found out that countess diana was euthanized may 27th after undergoing unsuccessful surgery to correct wobblers syndrone....
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

This has just been a really terrible month altogether.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

So, so, so sad.
Kieren Fallon (and all the connections, for that matter) must feel awful.
:(
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

This is so awful ...things change so quickly. :(
Frayed - $75,000
Liveinthemoment - $25,000
Same - $10,000
It's Been Awhile - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Ronda Figal
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ronda Figal »

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Martin Pennington
Hall of Fame

Post by Martin Pennington »

What LaDonna's put is basically it Em, I only just seen this (been in work most of the day), I feel about as hollow as I've felt in ages, hearing this and that the owner of another racing forum im on died early this morning of a heart attack aged 33 :(

Horatio was a cracking lil horse, he ran some absolute crackers last year and to me it looked pretty clear that they weren't entirely happy with him but the vet could find nothing. Fallon was shaking his head whilst in the stalls and coming inside the final quarter mile his leg just gave way, no clipping heals or anything - Tattenham Corner certainly wouldn't have helped him or the camber at Epsom.

Personally on the Derby I thought Sir Percy ran a cracker and Dragon Dancer is definitely the best maiden in the World. Hala Bek did a Swain-esque jink which could have cost him the race (a neck seperated the first four) and Dylan Thomas (my favourite) pulled like a train for the first mile, the front was the place to be, I wish he'd settled better but that just makes Sir Percy's run all the more impressive.

Oh and Noddies Way, the debutant landed my mates bet at 50/1 that he'd be beaten less than 50 lengths by the winner - left in by mistake and the owner decided to run him, there's certainly races to be won with him, even though he finished last.

Well it's off to feeling hollow for me and praying that nothing like that happens to Molly :(