Advice wanted

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

I have a 3yo filly, A.P. Dream (A.P. Indy x Dream Supreme). In real life, her dam was a millionaire sprinter. A.P. Dream's full sister, Crystal Current, won a stakes race at 8.5f in real life. My filly's race record is:

w4: GG, 5.5f maiden, 3yo f, b hb f8 / won by 3 1/2, Dueled on lead, settled backstretch, led three horse battle to wire

w6: Hol, 6f allowance (NW3 lifetime), 3yo f, b l hb f8 / 4th, Up close, chased

w8: Bel, 8f allowance (NW3 lifetime), 3yo f and up, b l hb f8 / 6th, Anxious gate, bobbled start, moved up, faded

Was her win just a fluke, and she is really a mediocre horse? Or am I missing something that would help her to improve and repeat her win? I'm not sure what distance to race her at, I tried stretching her out to no avail, I am not sure if I should make equipment changes, etc. And not to mention, her last outing, the bad start, worries me. I've thought about just retiring her and breeding her in hopes that her offspring will fare better, but I don't know.

Any suggestions?
Frayed - $75,000
Liveinthemoment - $25,000
Same - $10,000
It's Been Awhile - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tammy Fox »

First off I would give her some time off as that bad start might indicate that she is just tired. As for the running lines I don't see any indication in her first two races that she needed blinkers or a F8. I think I would cut her back to L, HB, TT. I would definintly stretch her out since she was chasing in her 2nd start. Maybe try 1 1/16 mile.

But right now I think she just needs some rest at a farm to help her relax a little before you send her back to the track.

I think a possibility for her nervousness in the third race is that she may not have liked the blinkers and didn't feel comfortable not being able to see as well. Also, if she is tired and under stress she could be responding by getting edgy and such.
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

TammyFox wrote: First off I would give her some time off as that bad start might indicate that she is just tired. As for the running lines I don't see any indication in her first two races that she needed blinkers or a F8. I think I would cut her back to L, HB, TT. I would definintly stretch her out since she was chasing in her 2nd start. Maybe try 1 1/16 mile.

But right now I think she just needs some rest at a farm to help her relax a little before you send her back to the track.

I think a possibility for her nervousness in the third race is that she may not have liked the blinkers and didn't feel comfortable not being able to see as well. Also, if she is tired and under stress she could be responding by getting edgy and such.
Thanks for the quick response!

Yeah, I was going to give her 3-4 weeks off before her next start. It seems like a common lesson being learned this year is that 3 races in 6 weeks is a often a bit much.
Frayed - $75,000
Same - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

I would NOT stretch that filly out. Her first two races are very good. The second race was a stakes race and she still raced well.

Equipment is fine. Unless you want to add ear plugs to combat the nervousness.
Just put her in a nw2 or an allowance race that's not full of stakes horses and let her learn the game a little. Aim for a 5 furlong one if you can, 6 furlongs if you must.

Give her time, at least 4 weeks, then try again.

Or heck, I'll just buy her. Cuz I think she's decent.
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

Thanks for the adivce, it is much appreciated. :)

She has a half brother by Riches Are Grand who is adorable (I think).
Frayed - $75,000
Same - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500