Running Lines

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Sarah Anne
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Sarah Anne »

Question, for my horse, Any Given Saturday, he ran his least impressive race finiahing 6th. His running line said "Broke out, not hurried, chased".
Any ideas?

Also, should I scratch Gift of Friendship from her race this weekend? It's a back to back race, but I will not be able to enter for a week or two and wanted to get another race in her soon.
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

Well.. Unless Emily's trying to confuse me. "Broke Out" means he was really sweaty. Could have been heat.. Could have been nerves.. Could have been he was sore and didn't want to run. Could have been a full moon. I can't be certain from that vague a term.

The whole line just suggests your horse was unhappy.

His second race at least gives you alot to hope for as it shows he does have some talent in there somewhere.

Umm.. I guess I'd kick his butt out in the field for a while and hope he forgets some of that crap.. Bring him back late this year with ear plugs, and blinkers and see if he can't show you a little something.

And yah I'd scratch the other horse.. She was second beat by 5 in an allowance.. You've got her in a stakes race against colts. Not the easiest place to be.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

I would read "Broke Out" as he broke from the gate akwardly towards the outside. Like you know a QH breaks and sometimes leans left hard, i guess that's how I interpret it. I guess I don't know, though the other suggestion sounds like a possibility as well.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Broke out does refer to the gate... "washed out" is sweat. But it is the same thing: nerves, or greenness.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Sarah Anne
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Sarah Anne »

Ok, thanks. I'll give both of them some time off.
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

Whoops my bad. In my world we don't use "washed out" as a technical term. "Breaking out" is how we describe sweat.