Favorite Trick dead :(

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Sara Kendall
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Sara Kendall »

Favorite Trick, Saratoga Six Die in Barn Fire
Date Posted: 6/7/2006 11:19:43 AM
Last Updated: 6/7/2006 11:19:43 AM

Favorite Trick, the 1997 Horse of the Year as a 2-year-old, and Saratoga Six, a grade I winner, died last night in a barn fire at Jim and Marilyn Helzer's JEH Stallion Station near Hondo, N.M. They were among six stallions, including three Quarter Horses, that died in the blaze.
"It came about 9:00 last night," said farm manager Dr. Donald McDonald. "The night watchman came to check the stallions about 30 minutes before. Everything was fine, and he turned out the lights. At 9:00, he came out of another barn and saw the stallion barn engulfed with flames. They didn't have a chance."

An investigation into the cause of the fire is underway.

Eleven-year-old Favorite Trick began his stallion career at John T.L. Jones Jr.'s Walmac International near Lexington. Twenty-four-year-old Saratoga Six started out at Franklin Groves' North Ridge Farm near Lexington, then later stood at Walmac. Each stood at JEH for a syndicate.

Favorite Trick (Phone Trick--Evil Elaine, by Medieval Man) was undefeated the year he was Horse of the Year for Joseph LaCombe and was the first juvenile to be accorded that honor since Secretariat in 1972. Trained by Pat Byrne, Favorite Trick scored his big win in the 1997 Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I). Favorite Trick raced through age three and was retired with a dozen wins from 16 starts and earnings of $1,726,793.

Favorite Trick was enjoying a fine year. This year, he ranked third on the state sire list by progeny earnings and is represented by four stakes winners. They include two-time added-money winner Yucatan, who won the June 3 Texas Glitter Handicap on turf at Churchill Downs. Favorite Trick has sired a career total of 16 stakes winners and the earners of $8.4 million. His 2006 fee was $4,000.

Favorite Trick's death came shortly after the death of 1997 champion 2-year-old filly Countess Diana, who also was trained by Byrne.

Saratoga Six, who was sold to trainer D. Wayne Lukas for $2.2 million at the 1983 Saratoga yearling sale, was undefeated as a 2-year-old in his sole year of racing. His big win came in the Del Mar Futurity (gr. I) for a partnership that included L.R. French Jr. and Eugene Klein. He retired with four wins and earnings of $304,940.

As a stallion, Saratoga Six (Alydar--Priceless Fame, by Irish Castle) is represented by 40 stakes winners and the earners of $25 million. His added-money winners include grade I winner Toga Toga Toga and grade III winner Saratoga Gambler. His 2006 fee was $1,800.

Gone Hollywood, a 12-year-old son of Gone West out of the Relaunch mare Existentialist, is represented by multiple stakes winner Hollywood Gone. He stood for $1,500.

The Quarter Horse stallions were Fredricksburg, Southern Cartel, and The Down Side.

Mannnnnnnn I liked both of these guys :( This sucks! :(
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

Oh god I'm going to throw up. I have a picture of Favorite Trick I've carried in my wallet ever since he was two. There's a picture of him up on my wall and I just saw it and burst into tears.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I keep saying that somehow I think being able to imagine dying that way is what is making me ill.... and to come so close to Countess Diana's death.

I was at Favorite Trick's Breeders' Cup win. I've also met the very cool Saratoga Six. It's been a hard morning.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

A barn fire always makes me sick to my stomach. What an awful way to go.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Oh God no.
I'm in tears, I LOVED that horse...
:(
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

FRIEDRICKSBURG AND THE DOWN SIDE!!!! AHHHH I love those QH!! They were both super young! TDS won the Champion of Champions and Fredricksburg won a big race in Retama ( I think it was there) He dead heated! This is terrible! Sad about FT adn SS as well, but at least they were old, not that that makes it better, but yeah... anyway..
Sean Feld
Derby Contender

Post by Sean Feld »

The Down Side was an awesome sire... that is too bad that all of them died.
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

Favorite Trick wasn't that old at all.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

MalloryGuesnon wrote: Favorite Trick wasn't that old at all.
Yeah but Fred was 4 or 5 and the Down Side was 5 or 6. That's super young. I hope that Fred got some good mares his first season. I know that TDS would get some good ones cause he won such a prestigeous race.