Breeders' Cup Contest

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

The Contest
Interested contestants will be able to post their pick, plus an alternate, for each of the Breeders’ Cup races to be held on Friday, October 26th, and Saturday, October 27th (A separate thread will be set up for picks, once the Friday entries are drawn). I will either get a moderator to lock that thread shortly before the first Breeders' Cup race is run on Friday (post time is 1:25 pm Game Time), or I will print out a list at 1:20 pm Game Time and post that I have done so, and that list will control (to prevent people from editing their picks). I forgot that I am actually home that Friday afternoon, so I'll score the races along with Emma on Friday, and then doublecheck the Saturday score sometime Monday. Everyone, including the Steward, will be eligible for this. Obviously, only one set of picks per player.

The Races
There are a total of 11 races, three on Friday, the rest on Saturday. The schedule is as follows:

Friday, Oct. 26, Race Name, Post Time (Game Time)
Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint, 1:25 p.m.
Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf, 2:00 p.m.
Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile, 2:35 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 27, Race Name, Post Time (Game Time)
Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I), 9:30 a.m.
Bessemer Trust Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (gr. I), 10:10 a.m.
Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Turf (gr. IT), 10:55 a.m.
TVG Breeders’ Cup Sprint (gr. I), 11:35 a.m.
NetJets Breeders’ Cup Mile (gr. IT), 12:20 p.m.
Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Distaff (gr. I), 1:05 p.m.
John Deere Breeders’ Cup Turf (gr. IT), 1:50 p.m.
Breeders' Cup Classic – Powered by Dodge, 2:35 p.m.

The pre-entries have been posted - final entries will be next week. A link to the pre-entries is here: <a href='http://bc.bloodhorse.com/preEntries2007.asp' target='_blank'>http://bc.bloodhorse.com/preEntries2007.asp</a>

Scoring
The goal is to have the highest bankroll at the end of the Breeders’ Cup races. For each pick, I’m going to imagine a $2 across the board bet. So, if your horse wins, we’re going to add the win, place and show totals and subtract the $6 initial bet. If your horse is off the board, you’re down $6. I think it will make things interesting in terms of deciding whether to go favorites/longshots. If both your first pick and your alternate scratch, you take a $0 for that race. In the event of a tie, I'll flip a coin, and leave it to luck. Emma Lochran has graciously volunteered to take a first stab at scoring this, since I'll be out of town on Saturday, and she'll get paid $75k for the work involved. I'll still double check the numbers, but I think it's always good to have a second set of eyes. If any one else wants to be a third set, feel free.

The Prizes
The top three finishers in the contest, (basically, who has the most money at the end of all the Breeders' Cup races) will each get a foal. The winner will pick first, etc. There will be no charge for the mare, and I'll pay up to $50k of the stud fee (if you can negotiate a discount on a pricier stallion to get it down to $50k,that's fine). In each case, the winner will send me the name, gender, color (and, obviously, the sire), I'll breed the foal, and private offer him/her for $0, if the stud fee is $50k or less, or the difference between $50k and the stud fee, if it is more. The mares are:

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=20569' target='_blank'>Heat Haze</a>
(Green Desert x Hasili). Real life G1 winner and 4th in the Breeders' Cup Filly/Mare Turf, she is a 3/4 sister to Breeders' Cup Filly/Mare Turf winners Banks Hill and Intercontinental, Dansili, 3rd in the Breeders' Cup Mile, G1 winner Cacique, and G2 winner Champs Elysees. In the SIM, she has produced Scheherazade, who is a multiple winner, and placed third in both the 1,000 Guineas and the Irish 1,000 Guineas, and Juddmonte, a winner who has placed second in three G2 stakes.

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=18045' target='_blank'>Sightseek</a>
(Distant View x Viviana). In real life, multiple G1 winner, disappointing 4th as the favorite in the Breeders' Cup Distaff. Half-sister to G1 winner Tates Creek. In the SIM, dam of G1 winner and $1.3 million earner Excursion and G2 winner Look of Eagles, who has earned more than $300k to date. As a side note, if these two Juddmonte bred mares don't get Eric to play, I don't know what will ;)

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=11847' target='_blank'>Undisputable</a>
(Storm Cat x My Flag). Winner, and full sister to real life champion and Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies winner Storm Flag Flying. Both fillies are out of Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies winner My Flag, who in turn is the daughter of champion and Breeders' Cup Distaff winner Personal Ensign. In addition to their real life accomplishments, this female family has been prominent in the SIM, most recently with Laughterintherain (out of Storm Flag Flying), who recently won the Steward's Cup Filly and Mare Turf, after hitting the board in three straight Steward's Cup races. Undisputable is also a half sister to Steward's Cup Distaff winner Soldier Girl. Undisputable's first two foals are G3 winner Kensington and stakes-placed winner and G2 placed Noplacelikehome, her third, a newly turned 3yo, is a winner.

Enjoy! And if you have any questions, comments or suggestions in the interim, please feel free.

Laura
Mike Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Mike Eaton »

I would be very interested in this! The problem- I have no clue about real life Tbs! =)
NEVER CAUTIOUS

Every filly’s fantasy,
bred to go long but quick to plz

18 : 10 - 1 - 0 LTE $2,227,500
Baltimore Crown (G1)
Arcadia Classic (G1)
Seek Thrills Handicap (G1)
Arcadia Classic (G1)
Brakebills Stakes (G2)
Garden State (G2)
Emma Lochran
Hall of Fame

Post by Emma Lochran »

I'm in! Plus i'll score it for you. I've been in a few similar contests, and i'm staying home this year and watching it on tv. I usually either fly to the venue, or watch it from SA. I'll get my notebook ready :)
Steph Lonhro
Hall of Fame

Post by Steph Lonhro »

count me in for this contest

I was planning on watching from my track but I will be out of town
Selati(dirt miler) $15k NY
Lani(unspecified type) $30k in NY
Lead the Crowd(turf miler) $15k NY
Anna Leroux
Hall of Fame

Post by Anna Leroux »

I have to watch on TV but I'd love to be in on this!

Does anyone know if Unbridled Belle is racing for sure or not? I've been following and was pleased with the win
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

This sounds like a lot of fun. Great idea, Laura!
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I'll be in Ireland on Breeders Cup Saturday - not very far from the Curragh actually - but I'd still love to participate!
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Ryen Hanna
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ryen Hanna »

Count me in, and I'll help you out with the math if you need!
Brittney Ellison
Miler

Post by Brittney Ellison »

Sweet! Again, awesome contests! I'm in. :)
3 time Grade 1 Winner Stand Up: $15,000
Grade 1 Winner at 2, 3, and 4 Limousine: $20,000
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

I'm definitely in!
I'm just here for the fun of it
Karie McBrian
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Karie McBrian »

i'm in too!
Chuck Whittingham
Turf Router

Post by Chuck Whittingham »

I am all in!!
E-I-E-I-O FARMS
Come enjoy all the luxuries of home in GB for $15 a day!
Emma Lochran
Hall of Fame

Post by Emma Lochran »

The more that help, the better.

I would think there'll be a thread for picks only, and then we can have a thread to chat and update who's where in the contest, or something like that, for those of us at home.
Alex Puderbaugh
Hall of Fame

Post by Alex Puderbaugh »

AWESOME idea Laura :D. I'll help as well if you want.
Brianna: I just wanted something with balls.. :D
Rajesh Persad
Two Year Old

Post by Rajesh Persad »

I AM DEFINITELY IN THIS CONTEST......GREAT IDEA :rolleyes: