New

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

I'm new, and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Just figured I'd say hello and let it be known that I'm a newbie here. I've stayed away because I was always pretty confused about this whole game, and figured that I'd get lost with all of the horses that I don't know anything about!
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Sara Kendall
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Sara Kendall »

Hiya Nikki! :)

First of all....let me welcome ya to the Sim! :) You will have TONS of fun!

My first suggestion would be to read the the Archives of the sim...especially the Legends Biography...this will give ya a good start. Also read the Sports Simulated Online...this is also a good read. Eric and Ara have some awesome articles about breeding that you should definately read. There's also a General SIM Information and Entering races which will also help you a GREAT deal.

We are a VERY friendly bunch....so feel free to ask questions! There is no such thing as a dumb question! :)

Again, welcome to the SIM!!!! :)
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

People are so helpful here! Just ask anything that you don't understand. I know that i get really confused sometimes. It's my first SIM year as well! You are just in time to get a good horse at the upcoming auction too, I was lucky enough to get Acapulco, and i've heard stories about people getting that one great horse thier first time. So even though you are new, you still can win that big race just like the old fogies. ;) (no offense intended for the oldsters. :D )
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

Apparently I made a mistake. I saw so many horses for sale that I put all of my horses up with prices. Didn't realize that the one 2yo maiden who is a half brother to my REAL horse we owned would actually be bought for $5,000. Am pretty disappointed. I had four horses entered for the weekend and just for the heck of it put sale prices on them. I only had four racehorses in my stable, and two were bought. Ergh...
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

I gave you Desert Victory back.

Haha, I was wondering why someone was selling an unraced colt like that.
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

Now I'm completely lost. I bought another horse, entered him, and now that 2yo I was talking about in my last post is back in my stable. It says he was given to me...? "The Steward" told me that Desert Warrior is a popular sire; do most of his foals do well, and do most people want his foals as babies? I'm just very confused, here, making me feel pretty silly, let alone lost. :unsure: Either way, I would really like to thank the person who bought him from me, Mallory, and even though it says she gave him back to me, I'd be willing to pay her back for him. Is that normal? I'm so used to the real life racetrack that this simulation is very baffling!
Inspiration Stud
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

MalloryGuesnon wrote: I gave you Desert Victory back.

Haha, I was wondering why someone was selling an unraced colt like that.
Oh thank you Mallory! I have no idea what I'm doing! :P And good luck with Feeling Lucky!
Inspiration Stud
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

Another question. I'm constantly getting emails from kids in other sim games asking to use my pictures for their horses. Does anyone here do that sort of thing? It seems you can't put pictures up of what you think the horses look like on the regular page, but does anyone here do that elsewhere?
Inspiration Stud
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

I've only seen one person post what they think their horse looked like and it was a computer images like the SIMages that you can purchase with Game points. Some horses like Fighter Jet have a head shot on thier info page. If you do a search for Fighter Jet you will see it! The Steward has access to (or just makes it up when it's needed :P) about what a horse looks like. She tells Dave for the SIMages and he makes them. YEah... anyway, if you go to the SIMages link on the homepage you will see what i'm talking about. LOL
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

We don't officially use pictures here other than the SIMages pictures. However, there are plenty of horses here who look almost EXACTLY like a particular real life counterpart. Sports Jersey looks just like Nicholas. Conduit looks like Yankee Victor. War Song's head is exactly like Artax's. It's odd, but once you've been playing a while, you'll find one day that you open the pages of the Blood-Horse and see a picture that makes you scream in excitement "THAT'S MY HORSE!"
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

Thanks for clarifying things. I'm sure everything will clear up after this first week of races.

I used to write stories when I was younger, and I know I'll still look at a horse (racehorse or even showjumper) and think, man, that looks like Video Pride/Thunderstruck!
Inspiration Stud
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

LOL this game is so much worse...trust me, it's going to reach the point where you'll be confused as to whether a particular horse is real or SIM!
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

Ara Davies wrote: LOL this game is so much worse...trust me, it's going to reach the point where you'll be confused as to whether a particular horse is real or SIM!
And everytime you hear a certain word, you'll immediately think of a SIM horse.

True story:

Sarah is watching Alias on the couch, giggling to herself at how much Sloane resembles a shriveled old monkey, when he tells Jack Bristow that the Passenger, when injected with whatever, will be a conduit to Rambaldi.

Sarah starts thinking about Conduit and pufferballs and her breeding plans for the SIM year. She wishes he was still at stud, and remembers wistfully the BC Classic he won.

Sarah forgets all about Alias and shriveled old monkeys and Rambaldi.
Frayed - $75,000
Liveinthemoment - $25,000
Same - $10,000
It's Been Awhile - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

LOL Steph made me go to the Pedigree Query site the other day to see "something". She kept shrieking about this "something" and I looked all over and didn't see it. Finally she told me to look at the "Conduit Mare Profiles" link at the bottom of the page. I spend enough time staring at old pedigrees that I immediately knew what it really meant but for random SIM visitors it probably is a chuckle. :)

For the new players, here's an example of the horse personalities here:

Birthday Candles wore earmuffs...and everything else he possibly could!

Onwardsilvercharm's nickname is "Wally". How can you not love a horse called Wally?

Elusive Pegasus ("El Peg") has an attitude and a half and likes to post on the forum every so often, boring all the young racers with his stories about the old days. He was crippled in a plane crash coming back from the Dubai World Cup in a wonderful example of SIM drama.

Lucifer was fond of eating horses, especially my poor Cyclone. Hardly a race went by where he didn't attack SOMEBODY.

Conduit bought a round of drinks for everyone who ran with him in the BC Classic. That was an awesome party. :) And yes, Conduit is a pufferball.

Sports Jersey is incredibly fat, rather like A.P. Indy but because he's shorter it looks even sillier.

The Look was the tiniest little filly you ever saw. She was also the fastest filly you could imagine. I cried like a baby when she died in that barn fire at Gulfstream.

I could go on and on and on... :)
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Don't forget the wrongly-named Gentle being a complete psycho and going through the rail in her final start... good times.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG