Shipping Horses

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Nancy Prather
Two Year Old

Post by Nancy Prather »

Hi again everyone well because of so many nice people I now have some nice horses and I want to say thank you! My question is this I just shipped two of my horses to Trial Park. both horses are in for a long haul but since they will not be racing until week four and five was this a good idea to ship them now?
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Shipping well in advance of a race is always a good idea, so if you plan on racing them at or near Trial Park in Week 4 or 5, now was a very good time to ship them. I prefer to get my horses to a farm near where they'll next race about three weeks in advance of when they actually run, though sometimes that isn't possible. I haven't had any real issues shipping in when I enter horses (so I've been slowly shipping horses for Week 3 as I enter them now), so you oughta be fine.

When you DO ship, it's fine to go a long distance if you're planning on giving the horse a little bit of time to recover, and try to keep further shipping in the next few weeks to a minimum. I'd think that 2-3 weeks is plenty of time, so you're set on the first criteria. As for the second, sticking nearby Trial Park hopefully won't be a problem! It's a great place for newbies to race, and you'll get the chance to compete against other new owners on a somewhat level playing field rather than have to face fields stocked with horses from top stables right away.

Hope that was of some help!
Nancy Prather
Two Year Old

Post by Nancy Prather »

thanks for the info but it seems I might have messed up I shipped them to the track should I ship them to a farm once they arrive then? or leave them there?
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

You can leave them at the track. One of the things we know is that rest at a farm speeds a horse's recovery time. Resting at the track is good, resting at a farm is better. What we also know is that shipping takes something out of a horse, so we're not really positive on whether a single, long ship (track to track) is more or less taxing than a two-stage journey (track to farm to track).

It's gotta have something to do with the distances you're going and the intervals between shipping, but put 20 trainers in a room and by the time you're done you'll have 40 opinions - there's no definitive answer. Whether shipping to a farm only to ship back next week or the week after is debateable, but I don't think it'll make much (if any) difference.
Nancy Prather
Two Year Old

Post by Nancy Prather »

ohh thank you for the info eric I figured since they were being shipped in from very far away that the earlier the better
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

Track to track to farm to track would actually be a 3 step ship. I prefer to go from track to farm to track regardless of the distance, but I think you're better off leaving them at the track.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews