Breeding?

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Nancy Prather
Two Year Old

Post by Nancy Prather »

Hi my name is Rachel, I am new to this game and right now I am on my mom's name because I still can not post topics on here. I have a mare, her name is Stone Age Queens and I want to breed her to Fleet Afoot, U understand that it might be best to wait to breed her, but in the future I want to know if this is a smart cross, please let me know what you think and thank you very much for helping me out.
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

Rachel, while I'm not an expert, I wouldn't recommend this breeding. From your mare's pedigree, she should be sent to a dirt stallion (both her sire and dam were dirt horses). Fleet Afoot is a turf horse.

I'm not sure who would be a good match for your mare, but look at stallions who excelled on the dirt, or whose progeny have done well on dirt.

Good luck!
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

Hi Rachel (and Rachel's mom!), welcome to the game. I wouldn't go with Fleet Afoot. Stone Age Queens looks mostly dirt to me - the FuPeg line has been almost exclusively dirt in the SIM, it appears. I don't know what your price range is, but I would aim for a dirt miler, maybe 7-9 furlongs. Some names I'd look at (for about Fleet Afoot's price) would be American Baby and Lokite Tragedy.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Nancy Prather
Two Year Old

Post by Nancy Prather »

Oh we forgot to look at that, thanks for the advice though and i will go check out the two stallions suggested, and if anyone has any tips for me on breeding please let me know
horse_breaker_gal2006

Post by horse_breaker_gal2006 »

Hey I just wanted to say that I can now setup post and reply on the forum now
horse_breaker_gal2006

hey i was looking trough the stallions again and i found a Lokite Magic to cross to Stone Age Queens, please can someone tell me what they think of this cross?
Alysse Peverell
Hall of Fame

Post by Alysse Peverell »

Again, your mare is dirt. Lokite Magic is from turf lines.
Emily White
Eclipse Champion

Post by Emily White »

I really like Darkness Awaits with your mare. ALOT.
horse_breaker_gal2006

ok what about breeding her back to Declan's Moon, this crossed gave a nice colt by th name of Prince Declan, because do full siblings on here show traits like the older ones or is it a play be ear with full siblings. I do understand in real life that sometimes full siblings have a chance of not anything on the track but at the same time they do so thats why I asking this.
Emily White
Eclipse Champion

Post by Emily White »

I don't really like how Prince Declan is looking on the track, even though he's a winner. I'd rather spend the 20k on Darkness Awaits and get a good foal instead.
horse_breaker_gal2006

yeah i agree it would be a good foal, but since i dont really got that many horses right now i want to breed her to a stallion that i have the best chance for getting something that can win me money, or on here if you work with your horses just right any of them can win you money? sorry i have only been on here for a couple of days now so i am very new and learning the ropes
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

My strong suggestion is that you use your money, at least at this point, to buy or claim horses that can run (meaning 2yos or older and are not retired - a friendly word of advice, stay away from maiden steeplechasers - if a horse is a maiden steeplechaser, it will say so on its page, I'd check that before clicking "buy this horse") and have the potential to earn you money right now.

If you breed a foal, that foal cannot run for approximately 40 weeks real time, or just about 2 SIM years, since it is only the beginning of this year. You will have to pay expenses on that foal for a large part of that time. If at all possible, I would wait until the end of this SIM year - say, Week 15 or 16, to breed this mare. You'll have a better understanding of pedigrees, which will help you breed a better foal and hopefully won't be putting so much of your budget into a horse, that regardless of how good or bad it is, won't earn you any money (unless you sell it, but that's a gamble as to how much someone else is willing to pay for a foal bred by a newer player) for a long period of time.

I won't say that any horse has the potential to win you money - it is possible that a horse is that bad, but with Trial Park races, which are restricted to newer players, and claiming races, if you are willing to run a horse at a level where it can be competitive, you should be able to earn some money.

Hope that helps!

Laura
horse_breaker_gal2006

ok then i will do that, thanks for the advice, and i do have a horse running in a race at the trail park in week 4 on Tuesday so i keeping my fingers crossed and hoping he does well
Alex Puderbaugh
Hall of Fame

Post by Alex Puderbaugh »

Good luck!
Brianna: I just wanted something with balls.. :D
horse_breaker_gal2006

Thanks Alex